Honda accord hybrid good buy? Alternatives for same price range?

rick123

Booked one recently, not sure if its a good deal, any other recommendation for similar price and performance?

For 1.9 million baht you get.

200 hp

307 nm torque

0-100 in less than 7 seconds

80-120 in less than 6 seconds

24 km/l fuel economy

18 inch rims

The new Honda Accord Hybrid has three drive modes that can be changed to fit all driving conditions:

1. EV Drive Mode - The motors use the electricity from the battery to turn the drive wheels. During deceleration, the motors regenerate and supply electricity to the battery. EV Drive delivers the exceptional performance and quietness of an electric car, ideal for the city driving environment.

2. Hybrid Drive Mode - This drive mode uses electricity generated by the gasoline engine combined with electricity from the battery to turn the motors and provide maximum torque and instantly responsive acceleration. During deceleration, the engine stops and regenerates electricity. Hybrid Drive offers smooth, powerful acceleration and is ideal for accelerating when driving.

3. Engine Drive Mode - Engine Drive uses the gasoline engine to provide driving power directly. The lock-up clutch in the E-CVT transmission directly links the output axis of the gasoline engine with the drive axis of the vehicle. It provides high efficiency and low friction and makes constant high-speed cruising.

Be confident all around with advanced safety standards featuring G-Force Control Technology (G-CON); Anti-lock Brake System (ABS); Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD); Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA); Hill Start Assist (HSA); Emergency Stop Signal (ESS); blind-spot display (Honda Lane Watch); 3-angle Rearview camera; six safety airbags (Dual front i-SRS airbags, dual front i-Side airbags and side curtain airbags) and the latest Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System (AVAS), an audible warning to alert pedestrians while running with electric motors that will be standard equipment on all models. It also offers advanced safety with a Collision Mitigation Brake System (CMBS) and Active Cornering Lights. The new Honda Accord Hybrid is available in two variants, which are the Accord Hybrid at 1,659,000 Baht and Accord Hybrid TECH at 1,899,000 Baht. Both variants come in four colors – Crystal Black Pearl, Modern Steel Metallic, Alabaster Silver Metallic and White Orchid Pearl. To ensure the unrivaled quality of the Honda Hybrid innovation, Honda will provide a 5-year warranty on the entire Honda Hybrid system with no limit on mileage and a 10-year warranty on the battery life for all bookings and deliveries within 31 December 2014.

Specs

post-179000-14141065073941_thumb.jpgpost-179000-14141065260993_thumb.jpg

Other hybrid options for 2M or less:

Toyota Prius - 1.2M

Camry Hybrid - 1.65M

Lexus CT Hybrid - 2.0M

Lexus CT for 2 mil?..Are you sure? That one is a better buy than any other mentioned!..and probably 100% mounted in Japan.

Toyota Prius - 1.2M

Camry Hybrid - 1.65M

Lexus CT Hybrid - 2.0M

How would they compare to the accord performance wise?

Also i have read both toyota and lexus are using nickel batteries where as honda accord is using newer lithium ion batteries

Toyota Prius - 1.2M

Camry Hybrid - 1.65M

Lexus CT Hybrid - 2.0M

How would they compare to the accord performance wise?

Also i have read both toyota and lexus are using nickel batteries where as honda accord is using newer lithium ion batteries

None of these are what I'd call performance cars. Go drive them yourself and see which one your prefer. Be sure to drive on a concrete highway, at highway speeds, and evaluate road noise too... :)

• Like 1

What is "synthetic leather" ? Vinyl ?

I guess you have heard of the following breeds: Aberdeen Angus, Charolais, Friesian, Guernsey, Hereford, Longhorn, Santa Gertrudis...but I am surprised you haven't heard of the Japanese breed 'Synthetic'!

The Chinese have bought or stolen the genome of the breed as they are claiming 'Synthetic Leather' as their own! rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

A little dear for a honda accord, with the money savings I would go with basic model accord. You don't really save any money on gas if you take into consideration you have to replace the battery after around 10 years. You might save some if you put in a lot of miles, but most people don't put in enough for the savings. Basic accord 2.0 starts around 1.3 million.

I think a better option would be the Camry hybrid if you want a hybrid car.

What is "synthetic leather" ? Vinyl ?

I guess you have heard of the following breeds: Aberdeen Angus, Charolais, Friesian, Guernsey, Hereford, Longhorn, Santa Gertrudis...but I am surprised you haven't heard of the Japanese breed 'Synthetic'!

The Chinese have bought or stolen the genome of the breed as they are claiming 'Synthetic Leather' as their own! rolleyes.gif

Crafty Little Hefffers them Chinese..wai2.gif

A little dear for a honda accord, with the money savings I would go with basic model accord. You don't really save any money on gas if you take into consideration you have to replace the battery after around 10 years. You might save some if you put in a lot of miles, but most people don't put in enough for the savings. Basic accord 2.0 starts around 1.3 million.

Do a search : honda accord hybrid vs toyota camry hybrid Reviews

appears everywhere the new Accord come out just ahead of Camry..

I just watched a US Honda Accord hybrid commercial and Honda was offering it on a 36 month lease. $1999 down, $189/mo for the LX model. Over the course of 3 years that's less than 300K baht. 1.9 million THB does seem a bit dear for the same car.

Edited by steelepulse

I just watched a US Honda Accord hybrid commercial and Honda was offering it on a 36 month lease. $1999 down, $189/mo for the LX model. Over the course of 3 years that's less than 300K baht. 1.9 million THB does seem a bit dear for the same car.

Yeah but 300K Baht doesn't buy it...

a new Honda Jazz hybrid is 760k if money was a problem. even a new Civic hybrid is around 1 million.

For me the shock is at 1 year old + price !! http://showroom.one2car.com/carDetail.aspx?car_id=j01140129

for a Camry, the Honda is to new yet.

and at 2 years old http://www.one2car.com/TOYOTA_CAMRY/J15140292 it has lost a million baht.

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

a new Honda Jazz hybrid is 760k if money was a problem. even a new Civic hybrid is around 1 million.

For me the shock is at 1 year old + price !! http://showroom.one2car.com/carDetail.aspx?car_id=j01140129

and at 2 years old http://www.one2car.com/TOYOTA_CAMRY/J15140292 it has lost a million baht.

That hybrid above is not the top model and the other one is not current gen model but last gen.

That hybrid above is not the top model and the other one is not current gen model but last gen.

Yes.... but even so most model appear to get a face-lift every 2 years..

Not long ago a face-lift model or a new model made very little difference to 2nd hand values here, if they were Honda's or Toyota's, how things have changed on near new cars

Interesting info on nation thailand accord hybrid review, they claim to be able to achieve 25 km/l and the guy says he would ask his friend who is buying merc e 300 hybrid to check out accord hybrid before buying the merc. Lol

Edited by shariq607

Review from nation post-110391-14143047454664_thumb.jpgpost-110391-14143047590421_thumb.jpgpost-110391-14143047676274_thumb.jpgpost-110391-14143048101155_thumb.jpg

Accord Hybrid: Delightful, dynamic, desirable

Despite its excellent fuel economy, driving a hybrid vehicle is as boring as watching paint dry, no kidding, and you would probably only buy such a vehicle because of its lower fuel costs and eco-friendliness.

But with Honda unleashing its Accord Hybrid, the Japanese automaker has proven that hybrids can also offer the exciting characteristics that conventional automobiles possess - whether it is driving enjoyment or functionality.

The Accord Hybrid is priced at Bt1.899 million for the top version, which may raise the eyebrows of many looking for a decent midsized sedan. The car has now gotten even closer to the Bt2-million neighbourhood that Japanese vehicles in this segment haven't dared drive into.

But like the previous model, the new Accord is a car that many consider a reasonable substitute for German luxury cars like the BMW 5 Series or Mercedes E-Class which cost twice as much. There's plenty of room inside the Accord Hybrid and the luxury level isn't far behind, with top-notch quality materials being used. And although this sedan's performance might not match those of the German powerhouses, it offers decent acceleration and ride quality, along with good safety.

The Accord Hybrid is powered by a 2.0-litre "Earth Dreams" Atkinson-cycle gasoline engine as well as a permanent magnet electric motor. There's a second electric motor that acts as a generator, charging the lithium-ion battery whenever possible. In fact, the electric motor powers the Accord Hybrid most of the time, sending power and torque to the front wheels, while the engine kicks in at maximum revs only when required. A power control unit decides when each power unit is required - electric, gasoline or both.

The gasoline engine develops 143 horsepower and 165Nm while the electric motor generates a whopping 169 horsepower and 307Nm, giving the Accord Hybrid hair-raising performance. An E-CVT (Electric Continuously Variable Transmission) sends power to the front wheels, but this may surprise you: it does not have a gearbox like a conventional car.

I drove the car for a week and for the first time felt that this is a hybrid that offers loads of driving pleasure. There is plenty of torque available during full acceleration, with the VTEC engine blaring out a sporty note. In normal driving it provides the smoothness during transitions and very low fuel consumption.

Honda claims that the Accord Hybrid can do 23.6km/litre, which sounds kind of bullish at first, but if you really try, it can provide even better results. Yes. With the Econ function engaged and gear selection in "B" that provides maximum charging, as well as maintaining a really economical driving style, I was able to get more than 25km/litre, and I was pretty amazed. In general, of course, you'd average about 16km/litre under normal driving conditions, which is still much better than the gasoline-powered version of the Accord.

While the steering provides feel and precision that's commendable (it runs on low-profile 235/45 tyres), the suspension is set for comfort rather than sports driving. Brakes have always been a problem with hybrids - they are usually wooden and require much pedal input. But the Accord Hybrid's brakes have lost that unwanted character, and feel more like a normal system.

I also fancied the interior, which offers good craftsmanship and gobs of space. Rear passengers get plenty of legroom, making it a marvellous company car for executives. Then there's navigation and Bluetooth connectivity, although it would be an excellent idea to supply the rear passengers with USB ports and 12-volt outlets. The top version also comes with a lane-watch assist system that eliminates left blind spots thanks to a camera on the left side-view mirror. It is activated whenever you hit the left-turn signal.

Yes, the retail pricing of the Accord Hybrid may not be too friendly as I mentioned earlier, but forget the Japanese badging and look at what this car has to offer. It's a highly efficient hybrid sedan that is super comfortable and accelerates like a drag car, while costing half as much as German luxury cars of the same size. I've even told a friend of mine - whom I'd previously recommended the Mercedes-Benz E 300 Hybrid to - that he should first check out the Accord Hybrid.

Honda Accord Hybrid

Engine: DOHC 16-valve VTEC

Displacement: 1,993cc

Bore and stroke: 81.0x96.7mm

Compression ratio: 13.0:1

Electric Motor: AC synchronous permanent magnet

Max torque: 307Nm

Battery: Lithium-Ion

Transmission: E-CVT

Suspension (f/r): McPherson struts, stabiliser/multi-link, stabilizer

Steering: powered rack-and-pinion

Turning circle: 11.8 metres

Brakes (f/r): vented disc/disc

Length: 4,870mm

Width: 1,850mm

Height: 1,485mm

Wheelbase: 2,775mm

Track (f/r): 1,584/1,592

Weight: 1,663kg

Wheels: 18-in alloys

Tyres: 235/45R18

Fuel tank capacity: 60 litres

Price: Bt1.899 million

Distributor: Honda Automobile (Thailand)

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Accord-Hybrid-Delightful-dynamic-desirable-30241820.html

Does it justify the price increase over the Camry Hybrid? To me it doesn't, that is why I am driving a basic model Accord in Bangkok. I have my Accord for over 5 years, over 120,000 km. The car is still going strong, not a single problem at all. One minor complaint I have is that the steering wheel is too light for my liking. I did get to ride in my friends new accord, a very nice step up from the previous model, the car feels very solid all around with lots of new gadgets. The Camry isn't too bad, but the interior feel loses out to the accord.

Does it justify the price increase over the Camry Hybrid? To me it doesn't, that is why I am driving a basic model Accord in Bangkok. I have my Accord for over 5 years, over 120,000 km. The car is still going strong, not a single problem at all. One minor complaint I have is that the steering wheel is too light for my liking. I did get to ride in my friends new accord, a very nice step up from the previous model, the car feels very solid all around with lots of new gadgets. The Camry isn't too bad, but the interior feel loses out to the accord.

Camry hybrid is priced similarly, only a 20,000 baht difference.post-110391-14144674886143_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Camry hybrid is priced similarly, only a 20,000 baht difference.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1414467487.199834.jpg

You are correct, I have not check the prices carefully! They are indeed similarly priced! Most of my points regarding camry vs accord hybrid are invalid now! haha