Internet Disconnects on TOT ADSL

T_Dog

Have had dozens of disconnects today which is unusual on our TOT ADSL connection, and many sites including ThaiVisa and news sites will not load. Speed test shows a ping about 20 mS longer than normal but bandwidth is good. Are there are there any server issues going on that are affecting the internet today? Never saw this odd kind of behavior before and getting tired of having to restart my music stream.

Where are you located?

I had this a couple of months ago. It took TOT 4 weeks before they sent someone out to fix it. It was a dodgy connection on the wiring outside the house. Took the guy a matter of minutes to fix. (By "fix" I mean peel off the black sticky tape that was covering the wires which were twisted together and apply new black sticky tape.)

Where are you located?

I had this a couple of months ago. It took TOT 4 weeks before they sent someone out to fix it. It was a dodgy connection on the wiring outside the house. Took the guy a matter of minutes to fix. (By "fix" I mean peel off the black sticky tape that was covering the wires which were twisted together and apply new black sticky tape.)

We are 35 kilometers north of Chiang Mai. Nothing to do with the wiring as the TOT diagnostics show a good link to the local server and the ADSL line has excellent return loss. Some stream connections will stay working with only the internet websites going off for several minutes. It is still happening this morning.

"Disconnects" typically mean an issue with the cabling, but perhaps you are using the word in a different context?

I would examine the modem/routers' UI/admin screens to see what might be happening: WAN disconnects, PPP session termination, loss of DNS server(s) etc., especially when you are experiencing problems.

Maybe look at pings and tracert to those sites which are giving you problems?

With TOT it could be any number of potential issues.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this as a wiring problem. Any diagnostics are only going to reflect the state of the connection at one time.

If you listen in on a telephone, is the line crackly at all behind the dial tone? When you're disconnected, is there still a dial tone?

Another possibility is that the line splitter (if you're using one) has failed.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this as a wiring problem. Any diagnostics are only going to reflect the state of the connection at one time.

If you listen in on a telephone, is the line crackly at all behind the dial tone? When you're disconnected, is there still a dial tone?

Another possibility is that the line splitter (if you're using one) has failed.

AyG.... You were on the right track. TOT came to the house and said our 2 kilometer run to the switch is bad. That was two days ago and things are still bad. The phone's dial tone has now disappeared so the bad connection, wherever it is, is degrading. The running of that cable three years ago was done in record time, but they just laid it against whatever they could without any consideration of strain relief. Telephone infrastructure in Thailand is a house of cards.