Filipinos Teaching English In Bangkok

hello FilipinaBKK. Welcome to the forum.

To answer your question, it is rather difficult for an Asian non-native speaker to find a teaching position here in BKK. Most schools are looking for native speakers and of course we don't belong to that category. And most of the Filipinos are getting lesser salary compared to our native speaker colleagues in the academe. I am not discouraging you at all, I am just laying down the cards for you to know how it is. Try applying for jobs outside Bangkok or the language centers around the area.

I guess its not a question on how effective you are, but its the question of how you speak and how you sound when you speak. I am not putting down our Filipino brethen, but some of us have the strong Filipino accent, and that discourages future employers in hiring you.

So good luck on your job hunting.

hello FilipinaBKK. Welcome to the forum.

Dear FilipinaBkk

That's rather difficult issue for you, as far as I know - everyday 100s of Filipinas come from homeland to Bangkok looking for job, fresh graduates, nice and good mannered.

Near our house, there're 3 international schools - and every day they are "raided" by group of aplicants, all from Filipines.

The running rate for private lessons now ( if you're lucky) is about 250b per hour, hardly 2000 a week. Consider other locations - suburbs of Bangkok or one of provinces - they still can employ, as I heard.

I also don't want to put you down, but try to extend your horizons for job hunt - Filipinas are very well known for other than teaching jobs, up to your qualification.

If you're really want to get nice offer - learn thai as soon as possible, even writing. that will give you extra bonuses, and better chance.

with best regards

Here in Khon Kaen there are a number of Fillipino girls teaching. I have visited the school and they are able to get the Thai children to learn by making the lessons fun, they use songs and role play alot. I talk to a number of the school children for3 hours per week so that they can practice their English and I would say that, for their age, they have very good vocabulary. The only down side is that they do have a slight 'hispanic' twang to the way they speak English. I don't know if this is a problem and many would probably not even notice it. If you are prepared to work "in the sticks" it may be worth applying to schools up here in Isaan.

Professionalism is an "IFFY" question here.. Sorry.. but if the R and L.. are rolling with Ps..Then it may be a challenge.. Show them "whatcha got"in your teaching Demo..

Best of luck.

There were about 6 European, 4 canadian, and about 6 Filipino/a teachers when I lived in Kanchanaburi two years ago. I think the westerners got paid more, yeah, but the filipino´s were much better for the kids.