Set-top Box & Digital TV

bluesofa

I see the government are issuing households with a voucher for them to buy a set-top box.

How exactly does the new system work in Thailand regarding this? Is the entire country now covered by digital TV transmission?

What's the typical input and output connections of this set-top box?

I'd guess the output is A/V, or is there some other option?

What about the input, is this via a “digital” aerial - what cable is required - standard co-ax or satelite cable (RG6 type)? Is it a DIY option to buy & fit one, or is some some of SWR meter required for installation?

When buying/swapping the voucher for a box, what questions should you be asking to make sure you don't get off-loaded with something of no real use?

I happened to be in Big C with g/f and her aunt yesterday. The aunt was trying to use her voucher to get “a box”. The “salesman” told her the ordinary ones had gone already, so she'd have to pay an extra 300 Baht for a better quality one.

Not that I'd believe much those sort of guys told me anyway, hence my questions.

I think this would be a bit of a waste if people already have a Satellite dish system.

But if they are upgrading from Analog or DVB-T1 TV reception then they need the box.

As many low-income earners don't have digital-input TV's, the Set Top Boxes will minimally support Composite-Video and L/R Audio Out. Then the boxes will vary, some supporting also Component-Video + Audio, up to the better quality boxes supporting HDMI (High-resolution Digital Video/Audio Out).

I don't believe 100% of the country is covered ...there will always be remote sections where signal propagation/penetration is too costly.

As with most things, reality suggests people should wait and see how well the system works for other people before jumping in and wasting the coupon.