I would like to be the LEGAL father of my son.

Jasper4one

Hi

Please help me. I would like to go to the Town hall or court not sure which place to become the legal father of my son. My son is 2 years old and we are not married. In the future we will. So, for the time being what documents do I need to bring and what form or forms I must complete in order to get this done right. My GF is very okay to allow this as well. Do we need to bring our son with us when we apply? I understand too that I can use this to apply for a Non O VISA. We are planning to marry but, need to work out some details.Please tell me where to go and is it a long process as everything seems to take time here in Thailand. By the way we live in Khonkaen. Thank you for your advice and help.

You can get a single entry non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate with just your name on the birth certificate. You can also get a 60 day extension of stay at immigration to visit your child also.

For multiple entry visas or a one year extension of stay you need to be the legal father of your child by way of legitimization.

Moving your post to to family and children forum for answers to your questions about the legitimization process.

Edit: I didn't get a chance to do the move. Somebody else did that.

Have a look at this topic to start with: How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

You should first ensure that the Thai birth certificate lists both you and mother as parents. YOu can take this and have it translated and bring it to your own country's embassy to start the process of not only ensuring that you are on paper as the child's father, but also getting your child his rightful citizenship in your own country. You need to do this for the best interest of your child so that he has options in the future, such as higher education or wanting to live your country. Don't deprive him of this.

Relatively useless answers - at least they doesn't bring you any further...

Simply find the cheapest lawyer you can get and instruct him to do this for you.

Expect to pay something between 50.000-70.000 THB to cover the costs for the "Thailand only" part. This is mainly depending on the costs for your lawyer and the DNA test. Other costs like official translation of your passport (6.000-7.000 THB) are lower but exist.

The DNA test will cost you 6.500 THB per person (mother, child, father). You need to be prepared to travel for the DNA test to BKK or Korat. As only there are certified hospitals which can provide you with DNA tests accepted by a family court.

It will not take 3 months but calculate something around 6-7 months.

You will have to attend 3 appointments at court (application, juvenile department of the family court, judgement).

If you have done this and you already have the court judgment in written form (waiting period easily 1 month) then you need to travel to your responsible Amphoe. That’s where your child is registered in the house book. There you need to apply/register that you are his/her father.

Then, and not a single minute before this moment, your embassy become part of the game and you can apply for his/her citizenship.

The above calculation doesn’t cover the costs you have for the translations you need to provide when you reach the last step "applying for citizenship" at your embassy. These translations costs are easily around 15.000-25.000 THB. Mostly depending on how many pages you need to have translated (was your girlfriend previously married or not, etc., etc.).

All in all it's not complicated it just take time.

The cost you report are much higher than what other members report.

If you have to wait until the child has been legitimised depends on the country you hold nationality of. What documents you need to provide (a translation of) vary also.

OP has the options of waiting till he gest married to the mother, that will automatically make him the legal father of the child.

If you have to wait until the child has been legitimised depends on the country you hold nationality of. What documents you need to provide (a translation of) vary also.

OP has the options of waiting till he gest married to the mother, that will automatically make him the legal father of the child.

I can only confirm what I just paid by myself (actually I am waiting currently for the court papers). Also about the time required.

My sollution was taking the direct way and this starts with Thailand and in the next step proceed with your embassy. Our court systems obviously accepts and recognizes Thai court papers more easy than the other way around.

Getting married solves this issue anyway. Here and everywhere... ;-)

I can only confirm what I just paid by myself (actually I am waiting currently for the court papers). Also about the time required.

My sollution was taking the direct way and this starts with Thailand and in the next step proceed with your embassy. Our court systems obviously accepts and recognizes Thai court papers more easy than the other way around.

Getting married also creates issues far beyond common knowledge.

Getting married also creates issues far beyond common knowledge.

At least the issue becoming the legal father of his child is finally solved... ;-)

Are you talking about a adoption or this is your blood son? Need more information so I can answer? Is it correct if you are the son you are listed on the Thai Birth certificate as actually father but not marry? Either way I can answer both question to you without hiring a lawyer as suggested since I have been through it both but do not want to answer the wrong question for you.

Hi All

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their replies. I read them all. After reading the replies it seems best to make it easy and just go to the U.S. Embassy and file the paperwork with them......I would then get a Certificate which makes him an U.S. citizen and it's all legal.... i will marry my now GF in the coming new year and go back to the embassy to make a passport and apply for a social security for him.

Since he was born here he gets the same benefits as Thais but I'm an U.S. citizen so I want him to have the best of both worlds. My name is on the Birth Certificate. I believe this is the best route for him and me too.

Once again thank you all for your advice. This is a GREAT site.... It has helped me many times in the past.

Hi All

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their replies. I read them all. After reading the replies it seems best to make it easy and just go to the U.S. Embassy and file the paperwork with them......I would then get a Certificate which makes him an U.S. citizen and it's all legal.... i will marry my now GF in the coming new year and go back to the embassy to make a passport and apply for a social security for him.

Since he was born here he gets the same benefits as Thais but I'm an U.S. citizen so I want him to have the best of both worlds. My name is on the Birth Certificate. I believe this is the best route for him and me too.

Once again thank you all for your advice. This is a GREAT site.... It has helped me many times in the past.

You got it right! it is pretty simple don't need a lawyer. You can also get a Thai passport for him too! Now that he has your name best of both worlds if you have the means do research now and put him in a good International school with a track record of success in putting kids overseas to study once they are done here. On Break take them home to the U.S. so they can see how others think?

Good luck!