Americans -- did you know that Albania wants us? (Another Plan B alternative to Thailand)

Already joined NATO, soon the EU, translate to over taxed nanny state ... and ... they have earthquakes.

It's not a country it's a city with countryside.  Way too small, just a bit bigger than Massachusetts, 28,748 km2 and <3M population.   About 60% Islam  ... I'll offend someone, and need my bacon :coffee1:

NO THANKS

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Already joined NATO, soon the EU, translate to over taxed nanny state ... and ... they have earthquakes.

It's not a country it's a city with countryside.  Way too small, just a bit bigger than Massachusetts, 28,748 km2 and <3M population.   About 60% Islam  ... I'll offend someone, and need my bacon :coffee1:

NO THANKS

Yes they will apply for the EU and I consider that very negative for Americans based on retirement visa requirements for Americans for other EU countries.  What I don't know about is any time estimate for entering the EU. Like if its 10 years from now not so bad. Probably a good reason to reject Albania unless a person really thinks they can learn Albanian and get a passport after 5 years.

It does have a very weird history and it is very small, but it is a country.

As far as religiosity Muslim or Christian I'm not sure how deep that is considering it was a very atheist communist country for a long time. 

Short of moving there it does sound like it might be fun for a visa free very long stay for those of us that like to move around alot.

Edited by Jingthing

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Short of moving there it does sound like it might be fun for a visa free very long stay for those of us that like to move around alot.

The whole Eastern Bloc, Baltic region interested me, after the fighting calmed down.   Also makes you wonder, if many of those now Albanians didn't arrive from Kosovo

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

The whole Eastern Bloc, Baltic region interested me, after the fighting calmed down.   Also makes you wonder, if many of those now Albanians didn't arrive from Kosovo

I'm interested in a tourism visit to Poland. I've enjoyed Czechia and Hungary before. I would only bother with Albania if I was seriously checking it out as an expatriation option.

Portugal even with the negative tax changes still appears to be the top expatriation choice in Europe though Lisbon and Porto are now way over low budget levels.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Americans.....Somalia wants you!

Summary of cost of living in Somalia:

• A family of four estimated monthly costs are 1,311.4£ (1,655.5$) without rent.
  • A single person estimated monthly costs are 392.8£ (495.9$) without rent.
  • Cost of living in Somalia is, on average, 56.0% lower than in United Kingdom.
  • Rent in Somalia is, on average, 86.5% lower than in United Kingdom.

Oh, behave.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not fair.

Tirana is the capitol.  
Compare to Bangkok. 

That wouldn't be fair either, as supply & demand for 8-10million jacks the prices up, with a huge middle class.

If you look at the link, groceries & basics, then not cheaper than TH.   As you say, good for a visit, as is the whole area.

Czechia always interested me, as friends went there and loved it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I'm interested in a tourism visit to Poland. I've enjoyed Czechia and Hungary before. I would only bother with Albania if I was seriously checking it out as an expatriation option.

Portugal even with the negative tax changes still appears to be the top expatriation choice in Europe though Lisbon and Porto are not way over low budget levels.

I lived in the Lisbon 'burbs for three years circa 2008.  Cannot say enough good things about the area (and the country.)

If one moved out of the metro area, it's still pretty inexpensive (relatively speaking.)

Great food, nice people, fantastic weather.  

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

This pleasant older American lady who used to teach English in Chiang Mai says you can live decently in Tirana for only 1000 USD a month.

She rents a two bedroom apartment for 400 fairly centrally located.

So that obviously means for 2000 a month you can live very well, eating out daily, etc.

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

most of the places where it's conspicuously easy to get residency are crap-holes

dont know anything about albania. wouldnt even be able to locate it on a map

I don't get the impression that Albania is a crap hole though.

It does have it's downsides like any place though. 

If you know where Greece and Sicily are, you're not far off. 

4 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

I lived in the Lisbon 'burbs for three years circa 2008.  Cannot say enough good things about the area (and the country.)

If one moved out of the metro area, it's still pretty inexpensive (relatively speaking.)

Great food, nice people, fantastic weather.  

Cost of living/housing has gone up a lot in Lisbon recently, I read.

Maybe because a lot of digital nomads with short-term rentals staying there.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't get the impression that Albania is a crap hole though.

It does have it's downsides like any place though. 

If you know where Greece and Sicily are, you're not far off. 

Oh do I know where Sicily is. 

I have a high school ex gf. I looked her up on Facebook and she is now living in Sicily.

I have Italian ancestry, so technically I should be able to get European citizenship by descent, but I have a feud with my brother who has the legal documents.

I may never be able to get my hands on them. 

I will have a look at Albania videos you posted. Thanks.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Oh do I know where Sicily is. 

I have a high school ex gf. I looked her up on Facebook and she is now living in Sicily.

I have Italian ancestry, so technically I should be able to get European citizenship by descent, but I have a feud with my brother who has the legal documents.

I may never be able to get my hands on them. 

I will have a look at Albania videos you posted. Thanks.

Yeah if you can find the docs you can get Italian citizenship.

If you're serious maybe an Italian immigration lawyer could help find another way to prove it. 

Albania has a citizenship by descent option as well. 

Anecdotal but one of my best friends growing up moved to Rome because of his father's Italian background. I had a chance to visit him at age 15 and see how he had become a Euro trash boy. Unfortunately later his mother was found dead in the Tiber river and his father was charged with murder. Go figure. 

Edited by Jingthing

Do the women appreciate older men  similarly to “some Thai Girls”?

I can’t say enough about hospitality.Im often treated with dignity , respect and worth , here.

I especially like the bowing & complimentary , Thank you to love me.

No snow is a plus too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Hey, JT:

Do Albanians speak passa Thai?

Why would I even go there unless....

a.  They spoke Thai in Albania

b.  They had the best Thai food in the world....?

No and no.

I did see that there are a few decent Chinese restaurants in Tirana though. 

19 minutes ago, riclag said:

Do the women appreciate older men  similarly to “some Thai Girls”?

I can’t say enough about hospitality.Im often treated with dignity , respect and worth , here.

I especially like the bowing & complimentary , Thank you to love me.

No snow is a plus too.

I haven't a clue but I reckon if you're rich enough a transactional relationship would be possible most anywhere.

12 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Why you post these things every 2 weeks? Just go to Cambodia

If I ever need to move from Thailand, obviously Cambodia is a very easy option. But the culture is so similar to Thailand that I think I would be interested in something completely different. 

I am not planning on leaving Thailand but you never know. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I haven't a clue but I reckon if you're rich enough a transactional relationship would be possible most anywhere.

The women have moustaches......  (trust me, I know this!).

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

BKK has 11 million population.  Tirana has half a million.

Are you joking?

Not at all.

Tirana as the capitol has --

International airport

Embassies

Best restaurants in the country

Best shopping in the country

Most diverse nighlife in the country

Best cultural offerings in the country

Biggest population in the country

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1