How to find a good value condo/house/apt in Chiang Mai?

Cheesekraft

I have tried in the past with realtors but I have never been impressed; is there any area that holds better value? I am not looking for anything too specific; something larger than a studio and reasonably priced, in a location that is safe and has some food options nearby. What should I look for on getting a good deal?

What arrogant nonsense! As you have a totally vested interest, then your comments can hardly be impartial.

I live in a condo which is about 20 years old. There is hardly a day goes by when there is not some drilling, hammering, sawing going on at different levels. Fortunately, we have weekends free of repairs.

Additions are being made, some alterations, ceilings changed over. It goes on and on.

To say there is little or no maintenance whatever in your range of condos belies belief.

• Like 1

What arrogant nonsense! As you have a totally vested interest, then your comments can hardly be impartial.

I live in a condo which is about 20 years old. There is hardly a day goes by when there is not some drilling, hammering, sawing going on at different levels. Fortunately, we have weekends free of repairs.

Additions are being made, some alterations, ceilings changed over. It goes on and on.

To say there is little or no maintenance whatever in your range of condos belies belief.

Dont always agree with ericpansai but I think you are very unlucky, and I dont think he writes arrogant nonsense- this time!.

Not all older condos have the noise levels you describe. Maybe your committee can extend quiet times/days if enough owners feel as you do? Maybe restrict to 10-4 and have a quiet midweek day as well as w/end?

I dont think many people would want to put up with daily noise as you describe. Its unreasonable

• Like 1

If you are looking for a house or apartment rather than a condo, it is often rewarding to first choose an area you like, and if you speak enough Thai, begin by asking in local shops if they know of a place to rent in the locality. If your Thai is not good enough, take a Thai friend with you.

Dress neatly, name your requirements, a rough budget, and leave a phone number.

Farang tenants are mostly sought after, as they usually pay rent on time, are reliable, and the word usually goes round a local community quite quickly.

This method can put you in touch with some nice little properties which never get into an agency. It also might help people who have a place vacant, but don't know how to advertise it.

You would obviously have to make sure any rental contract is in Thai and English and understood by the owner.

If you try it, and it works, let us know ... smile.png ... good hunting!

• Like 1

Don't rent or buy an older condo. The drilling, hammering, noise goes on and on!

Actually the older ones has less noise than new buildings where they use cheap building material .

Here in Pattaya , the View Talay condos buiit in the 1990's are much better than the new condos when it comes to noise. Not only construction noise but you can't hear your neighbor next door which is a good thing.

If you are looking for a house or apartment rather than a condo, it is often rewarding to first choose an area you like, and if you speak enough Thai, begin by asking in local shops if they know of a place to rent in the locality. If your Thai is not good enough, take a Thai friend with you.

Dress neatly, name your requirements, a rough budget, and leave a phone number.

Farang tenants are mostly sought after, as they usually pay rent on time, are reliable, and the word usually goes round a local community quite quickly.

This method can put you in touch with some nice little properties which never get into an agency. It also might help people who have a place vacant, but don't know how to advertise it.

You would obviously have to make sure any rental contract is in Thai and English and understood by the owner.

If you try it, and it works, let us know ... smile.png ... good hunting!

That is really good advice.

I live in a condo close to the much maligned Kad Suan Kaew Central shopping centre. It is an older unit and yes there is some remodeling noise but that is offset by the hours that remodeling is allowed. If your looking for total peace and quiet in Thailand forget it it does not exist. We have good staff good security 3 close stores and food stands laundry cash machine outside the bldg. If you want to get your pants fixed there is a lady with a sewing machine across the street. Food options are aplenty within walking distance, hospital ditto, computerland ditto. We push bike to other services and food selections as the traffic is yes becoming horrendous and I hate arguing with the Songtaew drivers. We have a nice pool and yes I would rent for at least 6 months. We have a good cross section of interesting people living in the bldg. I choose to rent rather than buy because my lease is long and the rent really reasonable. We pay market rates for electric and water and not inflated ones that you run into in other apartment rentals. Selling is a hard feature as our bulletin board has some units for sale and they have been there for a while with no takers.

. If your looking for total peace and quiet in Thailand forget it it does not exist.

our beverly hills property, mae rim district, is total peace and quiet.... 24/7

welcome anytime,just P.M.

only condition bring a case of beerlao dark, and i will provide the B.B.Q. etc etcsmile.png

Don't rent or buy an older condo. The drilling, hammering, noise goes on and on!

ridiculous and counter productive advice. I have 8 condos in older buildings and that is the exception not the rule

Being in eight places at the same time monitoring noise levels is very impressive.

I had the same problem 4 months ago when I moved here from Chiang Rai. I was looking for a nice house or an apartment with a kitchen for less than 6,000฿ per month. Like you I tried an agent in addition to classified listings on English and Thai websites. I was actually resigned to spending between 8K-10K ฿ for a nice place with a proper kitchen. I ended up renting a short term studio for 1 month to buy time to look for a better place. I drove around the entire city day after day for more than a week viewing apartments, condos and houses. In the end I found a few places for less than 6K and ended up renting a nice apartment with a kitchen for 4,500฿. They are out there, you just need to hit the pavement and be prepared to view a lot of places....prices and even value for money is all over the map.

• Like 1

If your looking for total peace and quiet in Thailand forget it it does not exist.

Total peace and quiet in my moobahn too. However, if I knew there was a decent apartment in town that was as quiet or almost, I would move there in a jiffy, as I would prefer to be carless and within walking distance to all amenities. It would also provide more opportunities to socialize.

May I ask what building you're in and what your monthly rent is? You can PM me if you like. Thanks.

If your looking for total peace and quiet in Thailand forget it it does not exist.

Total peace and quiet in my moobahn too. However, if I knew there was a decent apartment in town that was as quiet or almost, I would move there in a jiffy, as I would prefer to be carless and within walking distance to all amenities. It would also provide more opportunities to socialize.

stay put cobber, lonely are the brave, u know

the condo is coined by old c/mai expats

condo sucide

I had the same problem 4 months ago when I moved here from Chiang Rai. I was looking for a nice house or an apartment with a kitchen for less than 6,000฿ per month. Like you I tried an agent in addition to classified listings on English and Thai websites. I was actually resigned to spending between 8K-10K ฿ for a nice place with a proper kitchen. I ended up renting a short term studio for 1 month to buy time to look for a better place. I drove around the entire city day after day for more than a week viewing apartments, condos and houses. In the end I found a few places for less than 6K and ended up renting a nice apartment with a kitchen for 4,500฿. They are out there, you just need to hit the pavement and be prepared to view a lot of places....prices and even value for money is all over the map.

I am also in the same condo (I'm sure) as Elgordo.

What he says is correct in that we have good services here, shops and restaurants within walking distance.

However, this does not solve the problem of on-going works. Today my neighbouring condos and I have been blessed with an electric hammer above our heads, with occasional respite where the operator uses a masonry hammer as he removes cement tiles from the floor. This follows after a relatively quiet few days, as the owners of the room two down from the current operation also re-tiled the floor, which went on for some weeks. Hopefully this will be completed in a few days, and that the subsequent renovations are somewhat quieter.

Yes, the owners are within their rights to do this, just as they or the condo management are not obliged to let tenants know they're about to do this.

If you're think of moving to a condo in the city, choose one which might be slightly more expensive, and not likely to have tiles jackhammered and so on.

On the plus side, there is no maintenance allowed after 17:00 and things are as quiet as you might expect in a building facing a busy street. No dogs.

BTW. You did well to find a condo in the city for less than 8K baht.

ridiculous and counter productive advice. I have 8 condos in older buildings and that is the exception not the rule

Being in eight places at the same time monitoring noise levels is very impressive.

silly and ridiculous reply. I have clients and staff which are my eyes and ears in my various buildings