Top things Thai people don't like about Farang

It depends on what type of farang. Farang kee nok or farang work in office or posh farang.

Base on Nationalities also. For example American talk too much. Over act , show off, too independent... (a bit crazy)

British too proud of acents even from Liverpool, Manchester or New castle and i never understood scottish.

French just pretend to be elegant but actually quite rude (resist)

Australian too thrifty, never gave any tips to servicers. (If Thais know this customers from Australia they dont wanna give good service)

Just what we think.

Best regards,

As there was no comment in your post about Greeks, I assume they are perfectthumbsup.gif

You mean YOU are perfect! Do not forget you are the only Greek in Thailand?

What are some of the things Thai people find annoying about Farangs?

I hear a lot of complaining about Thai people on this forum so here's your chance tell us what you don't like about us.

If we know maybe this can prevent future problems and help someone out.

... so here's your chance tell us what you don't like about us.

Sometimes, it just takes one slip up, just one word to really show the truth.

Please stop manufacturing topics that generate replies ... it's so transparent if you know where to look.

Interesting ... coffee1.gif

Brilliant, mate!

OP just wants to stir up debate for his own entertainment's sake?

But then, is that not what this forum is largely about?

So why not go along ... there's a measure of fun and purpose in

sharing one's 2-cents' worth, isn't there.

Based on plain random observation & on what Thais themselves

sometimes come up with in casual conversation, Westeners are

deemed by some:

1.- Bossy, rude & arrogant.

They order people around instead of asking, or perhaps they ask

to begin with but when their whim is not attended to, the fake smile

vanishes, the phony politeness likewise disappears, & they swiftly

switch over to their 'i've got the right to demand' mode which is so

pathognomonic of Europeans & Anglo-Saxons.

2.- Confrontational, argumentative, reckoning they know better.

Thais too may think themselves to be in the right, but will rarely

start an argument over the issue with a non-Thai. They will either

keep the matter to themselves (the most dignified ones) or will

share it with their friends once you're gone. If you happen to be

the likeable cheerful sort, however, they might even give in to you.

3.- Gloomy, grave, bearing the weight of the world upon their shoulders.

They take themselves very seriously, where a Thai might just laugh

the matter off.

4.- Quite tight (as in Cheap Charlie).

Some think nothing of wasting someone else's time or ruining his

day for the sake of saving 10 baht.

5.- Apathetic.

A Thai smiles at you. You carry on your way as if he was invisible.

How do you think he feels? What effect do you think that might have

on how Westerners are perceived?

6.- Stinky.

How often do you change underclothes? shirt? How many showers

do you take every month?

It only takes hours for body odour to develop after showering, but

of course, you won't feel it. Thais, however, to whom personal higiene

is a top priority, might easily notice.

Tzar

• Like 1

Being an Aussie, tipping is one thing I find difficult to wrap my head around. I have traveled to quite a few countries and always try to do a bit of research before I go regards to tipping etc. As tipping is not required in Oz nor really expected, it stresses me out that I may be ripping someone off by not tipping enough in another country. I have no problems tipping for good service, but I don't particularly like tipping just because I received average service.

Also watching that current series on Ch9 here called 'The Embassy'. Shows the ugly side of some Aussies. Drunken idiots etc. Even though we all enjoy a good time, including a few drinks, I can assure you, we are not all like that.

It is customary in many parts of the world to tip 10% to 20% - 10% is average for good service. 20% if you are pleased. However tipping is seldom required , when it is required it will be included with the bill. Service people do not mind because much of their tips are tax free. Never tip for poor service but rather complain if it is exceptionally bad and be loud about it.

Not believing fantastical alibis (see Phuket news)

The ones that are trying to sneak something past you get real pissed When you out them and don't let it happen. Honest(???) shortchange mistakes makes them apoligetic. Catch them in Obvious theft or huge decept & they attack verbally or physically. YYaa they don't like sober intelligent folung when they are paying attention... ... ...

• Like 1

what truths would you be referring to?

Wow, you opened Pandora's box there.

There's waaaaaaaaaaay too many stray dogs in Thailand.

There's waaaaaaaaay too many people standing around scratching their ass at Tesco/Big C etc that barely even know where the front door is, much less how to help a customer.

Soap dispenser in restaurants are supposed to have SOAP in them.

Rinsing your arse with your hand and a slop bucket is disgusting.

Motorcycle helmets are a good idea.

Riding around traffic with 4 people on your motorcycle is a bad (mad) idea.

The beach in Pattaya is sh!t because nobody cares.

------------

I could go on for ages.........

"I could go on for ages........."

And on that note, jaywalker, thank God you have shown that admirable quality of restraint!

Thank you Sir for not going on ... wai.gif

BTW ... may I ask ... are you enjoying Thailand yet?

What are some of the things Thai people find annoying about Farangs?

I hear a lot of complaining about Thai people on this forum so here's your chance tell us what you don't like about us.

If we know maybe this can prevent future problems and help someone out.

... so here's your chance tell us what you don't like about us.

Sometimes, it just takes one slip up, just one word to really show the truth.

Please stop manufacturing topics that generate replies ... it's so transparent if you know where to look.

Interesting ... coffee1.gif.

Brilliant, mate!

OP just wants to stir up debate for his own entertainment's sake?

<snip>

No Tzar ... I know it might come as a shock to you, but some are paid to post.

Let me give a list ... flyingsaucersarereal

Just hitting all the hot buttons like any drone troll would do.

I am not faring but I have garnered some information from my Thai wife and from the experience of living here for 3 years.

A lot of Thai University students are offended by seeing young Thai women with old Farangs. My Thai wife's university record was suddenly incomplete when I went with her - that of course was after they had collected half of the money for freeing her records.

Thais do not like being touched with your dirty feet - of course that is more on a personal level. Do not point your feet at anyone especially in the temple.

Do not touch anyones head. Do not touch anyone affectionately. Do not kiss anyone publicly.

Cover your body in public in a similar fashion to Thai people. Remove your shoes when Thai people remove theirs.

Do not call anyone ban och. ( phonetic for country bumpkin ) . My wife says that is a huge insult and when she first worked in Bangkok other Thais called her this in an insulting fashion.

In other words, how would you like foreigners to behave in your home country?

I try hard not to offend but I do kiss my wife and daughter good-bye in the AM as they head off. It is a quiet street and very few would be looking.

I rather concentrate on what Thais like.

Their own language spoken by a foreigner. Generous tips. Chatting. Being introduced to other Farang. Hiring them to work on a faring house. Seeing Farang attending the temple and giving rice to the monks. Seeing you participating in daily activities. Seeing you enjoying Thai food. Sharing an occasional beer. Seeing you abstaining from alcohol 90% of the time. Seeing you respecting their cultural practises like fae kimah , spirit dance, blessing a new house or an old house. Seeing you at Thai funerals with full participation. Seeing you at thai holidays with you participating. Being kind to their children by giving them money or a kanom. If you do all these things and more, Thai people will not be offended by your little indiscretions.

Greg ... you should write a Book ... seriously.

It is customary in many parts of the world to tip 10% to 20% - 10% is average for good service. 20% if you are pleased. However tipping is seldom required , when it is required it will be included with the bill. Service people do not mind because much of their tips are tax free. Never tip for poor service but rather complain if it is exceptionally bad and be loud about it.

Greg

Greg

Greg

... there's a 2nd book just with those observations ... thumbsup.gif

Power to you man.

The prejudice of Issan people by farangs

I think the prejudice of Issan people is more a trait of Central Thais than it is Falang..most falang I know really like people from Issan, sometimes even more than Central Thai

Correct, so why do the Thai apologists blame the farangs, and slobber / grovel over ALL the Thais ?

Unless you are with a working girl Thai women do not like to be touched unless you are a very trusted friend. Don't try to hug new aquaintances or friends ladies. They may smile but will not want to be near you again. They will bucket you to all their friends.

in a professional context or setting, with the exception of highly educated or high level Thai professionals, I find the single most frustrating / dealbreaking dynamic is all too common farang lack of graeng jai, inability to deal with indirect communication, inability to decline or accept no without being confronting about it, foreigners being uncomfortable with obscure or unclear situations...

this all boils down to : Some Thais have serious problems with Foreigners because they do not play by the same rules / same cultural contexts. Even if you speak Thai, understand Thai cultural context, and have been here for hears, some Thais just simply will avoid dealing with a foreigner and will seek the Thai person to communicate with - even if the foreigner is sitting at the table. I have found it astounding in some extreme situations. Really reminds you where you are / where you are not.

• Like 1

DONT LIKE?

Things are Thais dont like about Farang. The comment that I post earlier its about my social Thai friends but actually we need to be separated with the class of Thai people.

Labor and people who selling food on the street they might dont like farang when farang asking too much questions as they can not communicated in english. But thai understand when farang do negociate or asking for discout that probable made them mad...

Office worker. They dont like farang to take their job and too much taking over them. Too much compared even farang did wrong but the boss wouldnt give the words for farang but if same thing happen to thai they might get sack. Sometimes make them look silly.

People who work in services. Dont like farang because too fussy, complain, Just want best of the best. They thought they are god.

For rich people. They dont like farang just because too nosey difficult to take an advantage. And They dont like the most is Farang khee nok.

For another like stinky or too much drinking etc...That was just annoying. Doesnt mean unlike.

Just for what i see most. Dont take it serious :-)

MediaWatcher, on 29 Oct 2014 - 11:48, said:MediaWatcher, on 29 Oct 2014 - 11:48, said:
benj005, on 28 Oct 2014 - 10:17, said:benj005, on 28 Oct 2014 - 10:17, said:benj005, on 28 Oct 2014 - 10:17, said:

Old people.

Way too many nasty old farangs in Thailand. They need to leave the women alone. Go home.

I guess there's too much completion for an obvious dick.

Have no idea how "competition" became "completion", too many spirits on the net.

Edited by MediaWatcher

It depends on what type of farang. Farang kee nok or farang work in office or posh farang.

Base on Nationalities also. For example American talk too much. Over act , show off, too independent... (a bit crazy)

British too proud of acents even from Liverpool, Manchester or New castle and i never understood scottish.

French just pretend to be elegant but actually quite rude (resist)

Australian too thrifty, never gave any tips to servicers. (If Thais know this customers from Australia they dont wanna give good service)

Just what we think.

Best regards,

To be fair Australians are not thrifty or adverse to giving tips, a lot of them don't understand the " tipping culture " as we don't have it. I am Australian and tip always because I live here and have learnt to do it, even for the bad service I get for being Australian apparently ( thanks for the heads up ). Really when your rude or give bad service to an Australian based on nationality with out knowing the person are you surprised we don't tip you ?? especially seeing your being paid to give the service, a tip is based on how a customer is served after all, so by not servicing you are in fact causing the " non tipping "

Old people.

Way too many nasty old farangs in Thailand. They need to leave the women alone. Go home.

Oh! yea, whose is you old lady? Western or Thai and how did you meet?

I read his other posts. He is a middle aged teaching assistant from the West who is trying to stay in Thailand because he likes the women.

I read just one post that made the most sense It stated the Thai women don't like to be touched in public by strangers. I know this for a fact for a very good friend and Thai Lady told me this when we meet the first time. she is also the only Thai for that matter person I know that I trust besides myself you ask her a question you get straight answer the hard truth.

This is not an international country so they feel threaten from the outside world. They imput is Muay Thai boxing and drinking whiskey, they have learnt to depend only on tourist dollars not advancing there themselves.

Perhaps I misunderstand you but since tourism is only 10% of the economy what do the other 90% of the Thai people do to eat?

• Like 1