help someone is hacking my commputer

I have a problem someone is hacking my computer they were getting into my email account and sending messages to my accounts saying nasty things, this person or persons claims to be an x gf but wont tell me her name but says her cousin is a detective has also said her brother and father are also and are ruining my life, I have changed my password and then they got into other accounts so I changed them also, but there is still plenty of activity trying to get in ith password guessing or hacking. I have tried emailing and getting an answer but she wont say, I have some IP addresses and approx. locations

can anyone help?/

thank you

I have a problem someone is hacking my computer they were getting into my email account and sending messages to my accounts saying nasty things, this person or persons claims to be an x gf but wont tell me her name but says her cousin is a detective has also said her brother and father are also and are ruining my life, I have changed my password and then they got into other accounts so I changed them also, but there is still plenty of activity trying to get in ith password guessing or hacking. I have tried emailing and getting an answer but she wont say, I have some IP addresses and approx. locations

can anyone help?/

thank you

Google it.facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Help you into what?

Just change all your passwords.

It's your fault anyway for giving your g/f your passwords.

That will teach you a good lesson.

I'd just have some Ouzo with you and forget about weird people. Life's too short to talk about babykee.-thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Change your passwords from an unused machine since if they keep getting in sounds like a keylogger on your pc.

Also change all your security questions since that is an easy way in for someone who actually knows you.

Finally see what other accounts are set as backups for each email. If you have control of a backup account you can get into the primary.

Also beware of social media sites and any accounts registered with your email.

Help you into what?

Just change all your passwords.

It's your fault anyway for giving your g/f your passwords.

That will teach you a good lesson.

At what point did the OP say he gave his gf the passwords?

I thought the OP was a clown. Then I read your reply.

• Like 1

I'll give them a cookie if a Thai person could hack them self out of paper bag.

Your email password has been compromised allowing them to gain entry to other websites you signed up for.

Generate a password like c#$@F43w243rtr54

Secure your email and work backwords.. facebok.. skype etc. Change all the passwords.

If they breach again you got a key logger.but i really doubt it.

vicio, on 29 Oct 2014 - 09:59, said:

Get a Mac and an iPhone, activate all two-steps authorizations in gmail, hotmail. Easy life.

Oh dear, here we go... only 9 comments before we get the old "get a Mac"... grow up, if you are not helpful then piss off....by the way, all you Mac owners, did you realise mac OS is based on Linux...now, all bow down and thank the penguin.

Get a Mac and an iPhone, activate all two-steps authorizations in gmail, hotmail. Easy life.

Get an Apple product? Why bother. 2-step available on Mac as well. Besides who wants to buy a machine that costs twice as much and does basically the same thing... but that you need to spend more for and even more for iTunes and all the programs that you already have just to fit into the Apple Family. Oh, they look nice and I have had Powerbooks, iMacs, and iBooks (actually loved iWorks!) but cannot think of any reason why I need one today. I can always buy a Levono in white!

@ jewell49:

you write " they were getting into my email account and sending messages to my accounts saying nasty things,"... does this mean you get mails from these persons? That does NOT constitute hacking or getting into your email account... that only means they know your email address...

so please be more specific WHAT has been hacked? Do they know your password and send out mails in your name to other people?

There is not enough info in the OP post (this could be spoofed emails*) however, here is a list of things that have already been said or are add-ons:

1. get a trusted computer (re-install on yours with good up to date Antivirus/anti-malware software on it BEFORE using any old files)
  2. reset or buy a new phone if you get/check email on it.
  3. stop using other computers that are untrusted, even a friend's computer.
  4. reset all of your passwords, even the ones you just reset. Try to use 1 password for one site/account. If you can't at least use 1 different per email and bank account. (passwords must be 10+ characters and significantly different than each other). in general "c#$@F43w243rtr54" is very impossible to crack brute-force by an average person even with significant compute however it is not nearly as strong as "I love me s0me BBQ" and much harder to remember. (hint it is both the length and the character set). But getting two-factor is even better.
  5. know that in a directed attack (which this is), a Mac or PC makes no discernible difference. While the vectors are different, the payload types are the same. (i.e. there are key logging software for both.). Although the actor may not know how to use a Mac effectively, so that might be a plus.

Specific to email:

• Check to your email account settings (yeah usually that GEAR icon). Look for email being forwarded by default or by rule. Check to see how you validate yourself on a password reset (email's another account, secret questions, etc.)
  • Stop opening up links and attachments from those that you don't know or from people you know but were not expecting the email with some "funny" attachment that you "must open now.".
  • Change all your passwords on a cadence of 90-180 days unless you get notice that you or the web site was hacked, then do it when safe to do so.

Computer:

• Only use Windows 7 or newer for a PC. (Mac 10.8 or better) (why=supported for security updates by MS. XP is not)
  • Set your computer to automatically update on Patch Tuesday (for Windows). (why=so you have the latest and greatest but your computer will reboot when sleeping so make sure to save your stuff)
  • Make sure you have 1 good quality AV (Microsoft Security Essentials, McAfee, Sophos, etc. it's up to you) but more importantly make sure it is updating daily.
  • Make sure you have a firewall software on your computer (Mac) or turn on/leave on Windows Firewall)
  • Don't run your computer as Administrator (run under a different account and type in the credentials for the administrator when needed. like when installing software) or at the very least turn on/leave on UAC. (PC)
  • Enable screen lock via the screen saver for 15-30 minutes
  • Make sure you have to put in credentials to unlock/logon to your computer
  • limit your wifi usage, especially that which is not at your home (like starbucks)
  • Change your computer admin and normal user accounts every 90-180 days. The password should be long and use multiple types of characters.

I doubt you will do all of this, and therefore I believe this will continue to happen. wink.png

BTW the most likely way you are being targeted if "they" do not have physical access to your phone or laptop is by a phishing scam where you get a link in email and you actually click on it. This is the easiest way to get the payload on your computer without physically having access.

*Spoofed emails... You know that I can send you an email from Bill Gates' account right? I can send it from your account or whomever. Most modern day email systems (gmail, Hotmail, yahoo, etc.) will flag the account and put it in the Junk mail of the recipient but there are methods to make it look more legit especially with a spear attack (just 1 or 2 emails to you and not 10,000 to random people). Of all the likely situations since this is the easiest and generally not criminally illegal, this is the way most "my email was hacked" happens but I wanted you to read all the other safeguards first.

Edited by schnazzy
  • Like 1

Another thing, the OP doesn't seem computer savvy, I am wondering, is he positive it's his PC that's been hacked, or is it his email account. I find it hard to believe his gf has the ability to install any key logger, in fact I double if she even knows what one is. A few years ago there were "virus's" that would send malicious emails to your windows contacts, most up to date virus checkers should detect these. As a security measure, when typing passwords, use the windows software keyboard. Open On-Screen Keyboard by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking On-Screen Keyboard. Also, use a harder password eg, jTqzQRn1.

Edited by MediaWatcher

On the topic of passwords - most people fall into one or both of the most common traps:

1. using an easy to remember password (such as "password" or 123456789)
  2. using the same password for every site

A more elegant solution goes something like this:

Pick a song that you will never get out of your head. The example I will use here is "If" by Bread. Write down the first letters of a line in the song-

If a Picture Paints a Thousand Words, then why can't I paint you?

Most sites also require a mix of numbers and letters, upper and lower case so a thousand can become 1000 or 10Oo or any combination

If the password formula permits symbols (many don't) "then" can become >

If you are srsly n2 txt "why" can become y and "you" can become u

so you base password becomes IaPP10OoW>YcIpU

now you can customize it for each website with 1,2 or 3 letters

so your Thai Visa password might be IaPP10OoW>YcIpUTv

your Hotmail password might be IaPP10OoW>YcIpUHm

Your Bank of America password might be IaPP10OoW>YcIpUBa

You will never forget your password, each one will be different and (unless someone knows your favourite song and this technique) knowing your wife's birthday will never mean a hacker can get you again.

• Like 1

oztaurus, on 29 Oct 2014 - 11:40, said:

On the topic of passwords - most people fall into one or both of the most common traps:

Pick a song that you will never get out of your head. The example I will use here is "If" by Bread. Write down the first letters of a line in the song-

Most sites also require a mix of numbers and letters, upper and lower case so a thousand can become 1000 or 10Oo or any combination

You will never forget your password, each one will be different and (unless someone knows your favourite song and this technique) knowing your wife's birthday will never mean a hacker can get you again.

or you can use a password generator.

oztaurus, on 29 Oct 2014 - 11:40, said:

If you use a password generator, use a password wallet/vault (my personal preference is Lastpass - premium version also backs up bookmarks and operates across my windows PC, iPad and android phone) - don't use the "remember my password" option in your browser

Re-format the computer or buy a new one as a previous reply suggested, when you change passwords use lower case & upper case plus numbers and symbols if possible.

It sounds like Key Logger software might be on your computer.

oztaurus, on 29 Oct 2014 - 12:25, said:
MediaWatcher, on 29 Oct 2014 - 12:16, said:
oztaurus, on 29 Oct 2014 - 11:40, said:oztaurus, on 29 Oct 2014 - 11:40, said:

If you use a password generator, use a password wallet/vault (my personal preference is Lastpass - premium version also backs up bookmarks and operates across my windows PC, iPad and android phone) - don't use the "remember my password" option in your browser

I use the "portable" version of RoboForm......RoboForm2Go, that way I can take my passwords with me, and they are backed upon to my RoboForm Everywhere account.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Oh dear, here we go... only 9 comments before we get the old "get a Mac"... grow up, if you are not helpful then piss off....by the way, all you Mac owners, did you realise mac OS is based on Linux...now, all bow down and thank the penguin.

not a mac fanboy, but no..., it isn't. first of all linux is not an operating system, it is only the kernel. second, macos developed their own kernel called darwin, which is PARTIALLY based on BSD (i don't believe any linux code was ported).

</pedant>

It's not based on Linux, it's based on BSD Unix. No penguins was involved in the process.

Whether the advice is helpful or not depends on the angle, I suppose. I've noticed cries for help on this forum regarding Windows related viruses etc. every day for the last four days.

My main platform has been Mac OS for the last 15 years. Not a single virus/malware etc. problem, and I do check regularly. My parents got a new Windows computer 1.5 years ago, which is now so clogged with shit that it takes 10 minutes just to start. They use it twice a week, my computer is turned on basically all the time.

No, switching platform would not solve the problem OP has at hand, but it would minimize it long term.

Before anybody is mentioning the Shellshock security problem on certain versions, be aware that this needs an open SSH port in order to get exploited. The vast majority of Mac OS installations has this turned off by default. Those that do have it turned on knows what they're doing. Oh, and this security hole is not just limited to Mac OS, but to anywhere using Bash/SSH: Linux installations (the majority of web servers), other Unixes, certain routers, you name it. In any case, this security issue is not as bad as Heartbleed, for example, which affected a large number of servers with certain versions of OpenSSH.

And FlashBack, the fake Flash installer? Who in their right ***** mind are installing software from an unauthorized source? That goes for all platforms, of course.

And Macs are "expensive"? Bullshit. They just don't have any discount models. Open up any random PC and compare it to a Mac, and you'll notice the difference in build quality. Second hand price? How much do you get for a second hand PC these days? Nothing. Mac still go for a fair price even after some years behind them. You get what you pay for, period.