Pattaya to Khao San road - best ways to get there?

WhamBam

I am wanting to have a short break down the Khao San Road as it is a long time since I was there.

Currently in Pattaya, what would be the best way to get there? (Not using a direct taxi from Pattaya or driving).

Would - for example - Bell's Bus to BKK and a taxi from their dropoff point be OK?

What about mi-buses from Pattaya? Other ideas please.

Thanks.

I would take the bus from North Pattaya Road to Ekamai in Bangkok. Get off there and take BTS as far as you can, then grab a taxi. Sorry, but I'm not sure the best BTS station to exit from for the taxi. Maybe somebody else could help?

Worst case, take it to National Stadium, exit towards MBK mall, and grab a taxi on the road there.

Have fun!

I would get the bus or van to the Southern Bus terminal and get a taxi (approx 100 baht) to the KSR. It's much closer than Ekamai with more importantly less traffic.

Mor Chit is an option + taxi if you don't hit Bkk during the rush hour. Use the taxi stand and again it's about 120 plus toll fee if you take that route.

I would get the bus or van to the Southern Bus terminal and get a taxi (approx 100 baht) to the KSR. It's much closer than Ekamai with more importantly less traffic.

Mor Chit is an option + taxi if you don't hit Bkk during the rush hour. Use the taxi stand and again it's about 120 plus toll fee if you take that route.

Great recommendation. Can you get the bus from the N. Pattaya road station? I hate those minivans....

Edit: I meant a bus from N. Pattaya bus station to the Bangkok Southern bus terminal....

I would take the Train leaves Pattaya Railway Station ( Monday - Friday ) at 14.35 at a cost of 31 baht ( It's not fast but much more enjoyable,more sociable and a great way to travel! ( This train normally leaves on time ) F.J wub.png

I would take the Train leaves Pattaya Railway Station ( Monday - Friday ) at 14.35 at a cost of 31 baht ( It's not fast but much more enjoyable,more sociable and a great way to travel! ( This train normally leaves on time ) F.J wub.png

If you know Bangkok and speak Thai this is acceptable but if you don't then the Southern Bus Terminal and a taxi rank where they use the meter and the traffic flows is a better bet. The traffic around the old city can be a joke and taxi/moto fees from the train station are made up as they go along. Yes, there is a boat and yes it just becomes more complicated. :)

Thanks guys. Good information and plenty of options.

I am flexible on when and how I travel. It seems I do need to get a taxi in BKK at some point to get to KSR and having an idea on costs also helps.

Now time to plan when to go.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I would take the Train leaves Pattaya Railway Station ( Monday - Friday ) at 14.35 at a cost of 31 baht ( It's not fast but much more enjoyable,more sociable and a great way to travel! ( This train normally leaves on time ) F.J alt=wub.png>

If you know Bangkok and speak Thai this is acceptable but if you don't then the Southern Bus Terminal and a taxi rank where they use the meter and the traffic flows is a better bet. The traffic around the old city can be a joke and taxi/moto fees from the train station are made up as they go along. Yes, there is a boat and yes it just becomes more complicated. smile.png

Yes i know it's more complicated but " in my world " i always take the more " fun " route ( not the quickest ) and using " Trains,Boats and baht buses is far more exciting and " a cool adventure " I have enjoyed my times in Khao San Road as i just love " backpackers " these types are just the coolest people around - God bless the backpackers! I learnt everything from them!

Farang Jaidee x

If you are not in too much of a hurry to start sucking down those beers on KSR how about taking the skytrain down to Sapan Thaksin and then catching an orange flag or no flag boat to Phra Athit pier. Get off the Ekamai bound bus at one of the two BST stops before Ekamai i.e. On Nut or the other one, which will also ensure that you don't get stopped and searched at Ekamai by the friendly plain-clothed police waiting there.

If you are not in too much of a hurry to start sucking down those beers on KSR how about taking the skytrain down to Sapan Thaksin and then catching an orange flag or no flag boat to Phra Athit pier. Get off the Ekamai bound bus at one of the two BST stops before Ekamai i.e. On Nut or the other one, which will also ensure that you don't get stopped and searched at Ekamai by the friendly plain-clothed police waiting there.

Yes i was " stopped & Searched " at Ekamai twice in the last year both times they asked me " Mister - where you come from ? I replied " from the 7 eleven " over there.....

( They also didn't have much of a sense of humour.A bit like some of our viewers.......) x

F.J biggrin.png

Yes i was " stopped & Searched " at Ekamai twice in the last year both times they asked me " Mister - where you come from ? I replied " from the 7 eleven " over there.....

( They also didn't have much of a sense of humour.A bit like some of our viewers.......) x

F.J biggrin.png

A lady asked me once after doing some hard labour with her in bed, 'are you finnissss(hed)?' I replied 'No, i am from Holland!'. ;)

A troll post has been removed from view. If you can't help the OP with his question, please don't post.

If the no hoper is hanging out in Pattaya and KS Road he is beyond help and so are you for defending him.

Maybe some of us like to have a bit of fun in our lives.

I have been sensible for the last 9 months and now it is time to have 3 months of fun that I want. You can do things your way, I will do them my way. Okay?

If time is not an issue but money is, take the bus to Ekkamai (exit at Udom Suk or On Nut if you wish), walk to nearest bus stop, same side of Sukhumvit and take either the #511 (air con.) or #2 (Red, no ac) bus.

Tell the attendant Khao San rd. The bus stops about 2 blocks away from KSR.

You also have the option of taking the BTS Skytrain from any of those same stops. Exit at RATCHATHEWI (next after SIAM) Take exit 4 to street and walk back to the canal. Take the canal boat to the last stop. Short moto ride from there to KSR.

If time is not an issue but money is, take the bus to Ekkamai (exit at Udom Suk or On Nut if you wish), walk to nearest bus stop, same side of Sukhumvit and take either the #511 (air con.) or #2 (Red, no ac) bus.

Tell the attendant Khao San rd. The bus stops about 2 blocks away from KSR.

You also have the option of taking the BTS Skytrain from any of those same stops. Exit at RATCHATHEWI (next after SIAM) Take exit 4 to street and walk back to the canal. Take the canal boat to the last stop. Short moto ride from there to KSR.

Thanks.

It is not so much about the cost - though I do not see the point in wasting money laugh.png - as having a sensible way to travel and choices on how to get from A to B.

Lugging one suitcase about up and down stairs for example is a bit of a pain although I do that at railway and tube stations in the U.K.

It seems the best way is to get the bus to Bangkok and take the taxi to KSR. The timing of the trip is a point also raised so not to get stuck in heavy traffic.

Another valid point that I had forgotten can be being stopped, questioned and searched that has been mentioned here and in other topics. Not that I have anything to hide.

No rush to get there. No need to have set times for anything in particular. I am happy to travel by bus and have done so often enough as far north as Roi Et.

Now I have good reference points from the posts I can plan the trip and make it as hassle free as possible, get to KSR and use that as a base for a bit of travelling about yet still have nightlife close at hand.

So the advice and options have been great :)

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously the 'best' is arrive at bus station and taxi but I am sure you know that!

I'd do as suggested above, arrive Ekamai and number 2 bus all the way to walking distance to KSR

Ekamai and BTS to station for the Chao Praya Express and riverboat down, walking distance from Phra Arthit pier

Otherwise BTS and switch to Subway at Asoke and then go to Train Station and cab from there (buses can be busy)

Morchit can get a subway directly to Hualomphong IIRC and do as above or BTS and as above

Southern Bus Station doesn't do you any favours in my opinion, always a bit further than you remember it being :D

Some complicated suggestions above. Why not use the Bell Travel service. They will pick you up at your Pattaya hotel. Find a decent sized hotel close to KS road that is in their booking drop down list and enter that. Then just walk from there into KS Road.

Almost door to door service, no lugging bags up & down BTS station steps etc.

Some complicated suggestions above. Why not use the Bell Travel service. They will pick you up at your Pattaya hotel. Find a decent sized hotel close to KS road that is in their booking drop down list and enter that. Then just walk from there into KS Road.

Almost door to door service, no lugging bags up & down BTS station steps etc.

Bell Services offer a great service ( if not the best! ) BUT for adventure & excitement and great Scenery,idle chit chat with the world & there wife and a natural breeze rather than " hideous air con " then traveling by train is by far the best and most enjoyable! Life is never about getting from A to B as quick as possible,its about the taking sometimes the longer way but with loads more fun!

F.J " living on a knifes edge........" x

Surprised no one has mentioned the way most Thais would do it...

From Pattaya Tai, Van to Victory Monument (90mins), with a short Taxi ride to Kao San Road (5mins).

or look here for buses ( From Victory Monument to Kao San Road )

Or you could go Jomtien > Suvarnabhumi on Airport bus then to Phaya Thai by rail link ...followed by taxi... but really no need as a van, Jomtien Soi 4 to Victory Monument, is apparently available.

• 1 year later...

I recommend this, the canal boat is faster then taxi or bus and you get fresh air and a view of BKK you dont usually see, and its only 8baht.

But if theres any vans that go directly from Pattaya to KSR I would be interested to know

Archived