Risks of downloading movies?

ghworker2010

I recently read on the internet about an American production company hunting illegal downloaders of a movie 'Dallas buyers club'. It was on the Syd morning herald website. Unsure if I can paste the link here.

The firm is seeking $5000 from each downloader and is persuing this via the ISP.

Do you think there is any risk of this happening in thailand if using a thai ISP?

If your unable to discuss it here perhaps you could send me a PM.

many thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes there is a risk in that a company may look to prosecute one or two cases as a deterrent- its only a matter of time before they pick on a frequent downloader in Thailand and attempt to prosecute. And yes, Thailand is covered by copyright laws. And there are plenty of people posting on TV who talk about loading illegally openly (see the section on 'what are you watching now TV/films'), that could be a key part of any case for companies looking to make an example.

Edited by ExpatJ
  • Like 1

Yes there is a risk in that a company may look to prosecute one or two cases as a deterrent- its only a matter of time before they pick on a frequent downloader in Thailand and attempt to prosecute. And yes, Thailand is covered by copyright laws.

In reality it isn't clamped down on much. Thousands of replica clothes and movie copiers all around Thailand.

Yes there is a risk in that a company may look to prosecute one or two cases as a deterrent- its only a matter of time before they pick on a frequent downloader in Thailand and attempt to prosecute. And yes, Thailand is covered by copyright laws.

In reality it isn't clamped down on much. Thousands of replica clothes and movie copiers all around Thailand.

Yes, true- but if a US movie company identified a downlaoder and handed over the info to thai police via the US embassy- that person will be in big trouble.

You can do a few things.. Add Hola as a browser extension. It uses a VPN without the loss of speed and unlocks website like Hulu and Netflix. You still need to subscribe to them to get the content.

Or, you can use PopcornTime, which downloads the move to a temp file and it's then deleted.

• Like 1

Just because you read it on the internet does not make it true, and almost certainly doesn't make it true in Thailand. Besides which they are more interested in the people who deliberately upload them.

Edited by Chicog

In a country where even in major shopping malls copied DVD's are sold I would not worry to much.

I've red that more then 90% of the software or even more in Thailand is copied.

I rather download myself, watch and delete my movies(Through the torrent sites) then pay money for an illegal copy from a DVD shop which are also not always of a good quality.

As suggested Kickass has all the new stuff.

Well, this is interesting.

Downloading of copyrighted content is illegal in Thailand. So in Thailand I would be sued by their law. But as soon as I would go back into my country, I would be probably safe. Because downloading (not sharing) is legal in my country. And my country is not giving people to other countries for crimes, that aren't crimes at my country.

So they couldn't sue me in my country and they couldn't get me to some other country to sue me too.

Edited by AndyFTH

Not much chance of getting a bean out of this poor pensioner,,lol....They have tried to get at pirate bay for years but their site is claimed to be untraceable. Besides if I didn't get it from the net I would never buy it anyway. I'd borrow yours!!! lol

I never download illegal movies as often the websites are also infected with Trojan horses.

I pay around 20 Euros a month to download US and German movies. I just save the files as I have 75GB storage space and look maybe one or two movies a week. Have a 2TB drive at home and stored already around 350 movies over the past year.

Doesn't make sense for me to download any copies as all I do is record all movies from a TV channel.

Why download? There are plenty of web sites where you can stream and watch pretty good quality movies with no risk attached. Try movie4k.to for example, I've also used their site to watch the complete tv series of The Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

• Like 1

Why download? There are plenty of web sites where you can stream and watch pretty good quality movies with no risk attached. Try movie4k.to for example, I've also used their site to watch the complete tv series of The Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

Why do you think there is no risk attached? Sites like that are usually riddled with adware and spyware.

A certain thinker needs to be gagged. There are indeed strict copyright protection laws in Thailand that apply to movies tv shows, and the like. They provide for fines and jail time. This comes under the label of theft of intellectual property as well as under various restrictions on commerce.... i.e., selling copyrighted items without the holder's permission.

I will guess that if enforcement personnel wished to search a business or residence, they could enter.

• Like 1

A certain thinker needs to be gagged. There are indeed strict copyright protection laws in Thailand that apply to movies tv shows, and the like. They provide for fines and jail time. This comes under the label of theft of intellectual property as well as under various restrictions on commerce.... i.e., selling copyrighted items without the holder's permission.

I will guess that if enforcement personnel wished to search a business or residence, they could enter.

That is a whole new tin of worms, and rather than duplicate it, it is covered in the fake music copyright police thread.