School students have low literacy rate in Thailand

webfact

School students have low literacy rate in Thailand

BANGKOK, 29 October 2014 (NNT) – The Office of Basic Education Commission (OBEC) is aiming to improve the literacy rate in Thailand, as 1 in every 3 students in third grade have difficulty reading and writing.

According to OBEC, the recent survey by the Office of Primary Education found that out of 600,000 3rd grade students across Thailand, 35,000 of them or 5 percent, can’t read or write at all.

200,000 others or 1 in every 3 students are not able to read or write well, which is a rather worrying figure for OBEC. Another survey is expected to be taken to help verify this data. Experts would be invited to brainstorm and develop a plan that would solve this problem.

Those responsible for education in local areas would then be asked to attend a seminar to learn how to organize curriculum in a way that enable students to read and write well. OBEC will begin its plan next month, but it will not be fully implemented until next year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-10-29 footer_n.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"OBEC will begin its plan next month, but it will not be fully implemented until next year."

What's the rush?

Wait for another decade,

Mai ben rai, they've been illiterate for many years now, nobody has done anything to remedy this.

A few more illiterate coming out, won't hurt.

I love Thailand...............

My sentiments exactly, why worry about it now, nobody cares

How about introducing spaces and punctuation in the written language as a start. No wonder Thais don't enjoy reading whenit'sallwrittenlikethisIwouldgetaheadacheforsure.

Well, if you could read Thai fluently, you would know there are markers in the words that are just as clear to an experienced reader as spaces and punctuation.

I think the numbers they quoted are quite generous. My wife teaches P3 students and she says nearly 1/2 can't read or are very poor readers.

How about introducing spaces and punctuation in the written language as a start. No wonder Thais don't enjoy reading whenit'sallwrittenlikethisIwouldgetaheadacheforsure.

Right on ! the only language in the world, I believe, that has no spaces between the words. Theon lythin gtow orr yabo utis willt heyge tth espa ce sint heri ghtp laces :)

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it's more than just that. I am amazed when I see just how slowly very intelligent Thais read their own language. They need to standardize and probably convert the written language to Latin letters, like Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines did. I realize that there is a lot of culture in sticking with the Thai characters, but when it is slowing down your entire country, it's time to move on.

One truly amazing thing I have noticed is that if you hand a thai person a telephone directory and ask them to find a certain name and number, they start reading down page one, then page two, and it could take days to find out what we incredibly smart farangs can find in a matter of seconds :) Yet they all believe they are far ahead in intellect !

• Like 1

Right on ! the only language in the world, I believe, that has no spaces between the words. Theon lythin gtow orr yabo utis willt heyge tth espa ce sint heri ghtp laces :)
Its amazing how easy it is to read both those sentences - without spaces and incorrect spaces.

Thai people read the same way.

Thai uses a space where we out a period.

Separating words is by context.

It was no problem reading the sentence with no spaces. Incorrect spaces was a little more difficult.

• Like 2

And you're wondering why? When 75% of classes (time in school) is dedicated to Buddhism?

I wouldn't call what is taught and practiced here "Buddhism". Perhaps Thai superstition with a Buddha candy wrapper would be more apt.

• Like 2

Right on ! the only language in the world, I believe, that has no spaces between the words. Theon lythin gtow orr yabo utis willt heyge tth espa ce sint heri ghtp laces smile.png

Are you joking to point out how ridiculous the original comments is?

Japanese, Chinese, Korean don't use spaces. Burmese, Cambodia, and Lao don't either... I'm bewildered that people would believe that languages are supposed to be like European languages.

• Like 2

I agree with you 100% have been try to lean to read thai wright it to but very very hard and I give up but I still go back and try again I will get it one day have seen here with my thai stepdaughter she took 7 go's and try to pass the weighting test for her motor bike

I agree with you 100% have been try to lean to read thai wright it to but very very hard and I give up but I still go back and try again I will get it one day have seen here with my thai stepdaughter she took 7 go's and try to pass the weighting test for her motor bike

Yes! Awl langwijiz shud simplifai the raiting sistimz so that it iz eezer for 4in pipl to riid. Gr8 i-d-uh
And my God, the people in Thailand and China and Japan must be absolute GENIUSES to decipher those impossibly hard scripts.