Car Hire in Sakon Nakhon

Griffo63

My partner and I live in BKK but regularly visit her family who live about 75kms from Sakon Nakhon

Now that Air Asia and Nok Air have regular daily flights to Sakon Nakhon airport we plan to fly there rather than Udon Thani airport.

However, from Udon Thani airport we can hire a car for our trip but can't find any car hire companies at Sakon Nakhon airport or indeed in Sakon Nakhon town.

Does anyone have any information about car hire in the Sakon Nakhon area please?

Try FastCar. http://www.fastcarhire.co.uk/thailand_car_hire.asp I've found them better price than dealing direct with rental company & their service is always better than rental company. They respond quicker & will often find the vehicle you want when a rental company says it doesn't have one available.

Hope this helps..... Cheers..... Mal.

• 4 months later...

do not hire the car in the airport NOT!!!!, the owner is looking to rip u off, owner is sitting in the airport at a desk for car rental and taxi and when tourist get their bags and come out of baggage area u will see him sitting behind desk making arm movement like u calling a dog to lure customers. i hired an old toyota with 300 000 km from this guy cause his newer cars were already booked, paid 1000 bath a day, first he wanted to give the car from his wifes friend and i asked him if the car had class 1 insurance he said yes which is mandatory by thai law,if u don't have class 1 and u get involved in an accident then all the cost are for you!!!!, but 5 min latter the friend of his wife came and i asked her bout insurance she told me she had class 3 insurance, then that guy doing a cinema discussion with her to save his face, just an old lying bastard! after that i told him dont want her car so he gave his personal car with 300 000 km on it already an old toyota, didn't had a choice cause needed a car asap. he told me if had accident then had to contact him and uncle, thats how he called himself, uncle will take care of it , ok with that in mind, days latter a cop backed up his truck infront of the 7-11 store and hit the front bumper, so the cop tried to blame me cause i was standing still in red and white zone, surprised by the fact that i can speak fluently thai cause my mom is thai i told him ur parked in red white zone too!!! so after discussion i told him " gia kap jawgoong lot" wich means solve it with the owner of the car, after getting the cop details i called the old lying basterd owner and said a cop backed up into his car, didn't even had the chance to explain that there was a scratch on his front bumper just about 4 cm lenght! had to search for it cause his front bumper already had scratches and bumps into it cause was an old car! so didn't had chance to explain there was a skratch in it because the old bastard went nuts and was shouting i did the accident so i had to pay for it all, he said this 5 times and was going nuts on the phone, gave my phone to my gf cause i couldn't say any word cause he was just doing nuts , my gf couldn't say anything too so she just hang up.

Now 2 days latter i went to airport drop gf off cause she need back bangkok and i went to the old bastard sitting behing his rental car desk , and i showed the scratch, he said " uncle only take 1500 bath to fix " i told him the cop that made the scratch is willing to pay for it already wich i arranged, wich is not my job to do, but he still wanted the 1500 bath , i said ok i fix it for u and all the other scratches in front bumper wich is not even mine too, his answer no no " uncle have a shop too where uncle fix it himself, uncle have paint and everything uncle do self, wich is bullcrap.

then another farang customer called him on the parking cause he had other new customer, and he just turned his back and left without saying anything, so after my gf took her plane i went back to him and said how we going to solve this, he just said he will keep 1500 bath off my 5000 deposit, again i argued and say the cop will pay for the damages, after this he start threaten me by saying "i kno big police chief" after i said so what, he called the big police chief to ask bout the cop and trying to intimidate me. after that he start saying "pai pai and doing arm movements like u chase away a dog" and smiling while doing that, i answered him thats nice customer service u giving, then his last effort to get rid off me was threating me by saying that his taxi drivers will "chakan" me, wich mean will teach me a lesson. i say ok uncle, tomoro is my last day i have the car anyway so after tomoro we will solve this.

2 days latter i bring the car back and i brought my thai cousin wich was released 6 months before from sakon nakhon prison after 12 years inside, reason is if something happen i can not do anything cause i didn't want to compromise my application for thai nationality, and i knew the old bastard is going to try to rip me off, so i told my cousin that the amount he try to rip me off i rather give to him than to that lying bastard! offcourse he tried to rip me for 1500 bath, we wouldn't give in so he called the cop that backed up into the car and got 2000 bath from the cop, took 45 min for the cop to show up with 2000 bath!, after that everything solved right but noooooo! we thought wrong....now the bastard wanted 1000 bath cause he said the car was 1 day late wich was not true, i was thinking in myself this guy reallyy wants to get kicked in the teeth and looking at the facial expression of my cousin i could see something is going to happen, after hearing the discussion is escalating his wife came outside and suddenly ...she remembers my cousin , turned out she was befriended with his mom! so u think the bastard would stop ripping us of but he wouldn't back down, after showing my copy of the agreement and showing date as proof i got back my full 5000 bath depossit .

i hope someone will take my advice and do not get involved with that old scammer cause took me a lot of typing to explain this! in sakon city u have other places where u can rent a car, car is newer and no problem with them at all! you have a car hire on ROP MUANG RD. exactly 100 meters from raksakol private hospital, he's sittuated on the corner of the road , another place where can hire car is 200 meters from BIG C superstore, so take my advice seriously and don't get involved with the car hire at sakon nakhon airport.

• Like 1

do not hire the car in the airport NOT!!!!, the owner is looking to rip u off, owner is sitting in the airport at a desk for car rental and taxi and when tourist get their bags and come out of baggage area u will see him sitting behind desk making arm movement like u calling a dog to lure customers. i hired an old toyota with 300 000 km from this guy cause his newer cars were already booked, paid 1000 bath a day, first he wanted to give the car from his wifes friend and i asked him if the car had class 1 insurance he said yes which is mandatory by thai law,if u don't have class 1 and u get involved in an accident then all the cost are for you!!!!, but 5 min latter the friend of his wife came and i asked her bout insurance she told me she had class 3 insurance, then that guy doing a cinema discussion with her to save his face, just an old lying bastard! after that i told him dont want her car so he gave his personal car with 300 000 km on it already an old toyota, didn't had a choice cause needed a car asap. he told me if had accident then had to contact him and uncle, thats how he called himself, uncle will take care of it , ok with that in mind, days latter a cop backed up his truck infront of the 7-11 store and hit the front bumper, so the cop tried to blame me cause i was standing still in red and white zone, surprised by the fact that i can speak fluently thai cause my mom is thai i told him ur parked in red white zone too!!! so after discussion i told him " gia kap jawgoong lot" wich means solve it with the owner of the car, after getting the cop details i called the old lying basterd owner and said a cop backed up into his car, didn't even had the chance to explain that there was a scratch on his front bumper just about 4 cm lenght! had to search for it cause his front bumper already had scratches and bumps into it cause was an old car! so didn't had chance to explain there was a skratch in it because the old bastard went nuts and was shouting i did the accident so i had to pay for it all, he said this 5 times and was going nuts on the phone, gave my phone to my gf cause i couldn't say any word cause he was just doing nuts , my gf couldn't say anything too so she just hang up.

Now 2 days latter i went to airport drop gf off cause she need back bangkok and i went to the old bastard sitting behing his rental car desk , and i showed the scratch, he said " uncle only take 1500 bath to fix " i told him the cop that made the scratch is willing to pay for it already wich i arranged, wich is not my job to do, but he still wanted the 1500 bath , i said ok i fix it for u and all the other scratches in front bumper wich is not even mine too, his answer no no " uncle have a shop too where uncle fix it himself, uncle have paint and everything uncle do self, wich is bullcrap.

then another farang customer called him on the parking cause he had other new customer, and he just turned his back and left without saying anything, so after my gf took her plane i went back to him and said how we going to solve this, he just said he will keep 1500 bath off my 5000 deposit, again i argued and say the cop will pay for the damages, after this he start threaten me by saying "i kno big police chief" after i said so what, he called the big police chief to ask bout the cop and trying to intimidate me. after that he start saying "pai pai and doing arm movements like u chase away a dog" and smiling while doing that, i answered him thats nice customer service u giving, then his last effort to get rid off me was threating me by saying that his taxi drivers will "chakan" me, wich mean will teach me a lesson. i say ok uncle, tomoro is my last day i have the car anyway so after tomoro we will solve this.

2 days latter i bring the car back and i brought my thai cousin wich was released 6 months before from sakon nakhon prison after 12 years inside, reason is if something happen i can not do anything cause i didn't want to compromise my application for thai nationality, and i knew the old bastard is going to try to rip me off, so i told my cousin that the amount he try to rip me off i rather give to him than to that lying bastard! offcourse he tried to rip me for 1500 bath, we wouldn't give in so he called the cop that backed up into the car and got 2000 bath from the cop, took 45 min for the cop to show up with 2000 bath!, after that everything solved right but noooooo! we thought wrong....now the bastard wanted 1000 bath cause he said the car was 1 day late wich was not true, i was thinking in myself this guy reallyy wants to get kicked in the teeth and looking at the facial expression of my cousin i could see something is going to happen, after hearing the discussion is escalating his wife came outside and suddenly ...she remembers my cousin , turned out she was befriended with his mom! so u think the bastard would stop ripping us of but he wouldn't back down, after showing my copy of the agreement and showing date as proof i got back my full 5000 bath depossit .

i hope someone will take my advice and do not get involved with that old scammer cause took me a lot of typing to explain this! in sakon city u have other places where u can rent a car, car is newer and no problem with them at all! you have a car hire on ROP MUANG RD. exactly 100 meters from raksakol private hospital, he's sittuated on the corner of the road , another place where can hire car is 200 meters from BIG C superstore, so take my advice seriously and don't get involved with the car hire at sakon nakhon airport.

Tony, mate. You have way too much time on your hands. Get a hobby, beside writing novels on TVF.

Interesting story and a lot to be learnt for any foreigners here as if you were not Thai then you would have had to pay the police, the owner for the damage and the owner for another day's rental.

Unfortunately most foreigners have neither the language skills, the balls, the backup or the connections to be able to solve a problem as you did, which is exactly why so many foreigners get scammed and ripped off at everything they do when they are in Thailand.

Again, an interesting insight into how to do business and survive here. Thanks.

My approach on how to do business and survive here when I have rented a car or van: I have always rented the car or van with a driver. Their driver; their responsibility. I have yet to even sign a rental agreement. In one instance the driver was an off duty police officer.

• Like 1