Taking Valium/Xanax for hangover, is this dangerous?

fitfalang

I'm the kind of person who gets absolutely terrible hangovers after every time I go partying, which is why I keep these nights out to a minimum. I feel overall very sick for a few days and also get some anxiety, that I normally never have.

Recently a couple of friends introduced me to taking Valium to avoid having a hangover. (diazepam, anti anxiety drug). I tested it out, took one before bed after a drunk night out and the next morning I felt significantly better. I could describe the feelings as lightheaded, relaxed, happy, sleepy with a feeling that everything is well and nothing matters. It's not like you would be ready to go to work the next day, but you can kind of just delete the hangover day by sleeping and watching movies.

Now I realise diazepam is a real prescription drug and should not be played around with. But when I google "valium for hangover", I mostly just find people discussing about it on drug-user forums, which to me, doesn't seem like a good source of information, as these people aren't probably too concerned about the possible health effects.

Would it be dangerous to take Valium regularly to avoid a hangover? By regularly, I mean about every 2 weeks when I go out partying.

**I do not recommend for anyone to try this, as the combination of diazepam and alcohol could be very dangerous (which I'm trying to find out)**

This is EXTREMELY dangerous!

These drugs suppress breathing and are completely contraindicated to use with alcohol.

Have your liver functions checked out if you get severe hangovers; better yet, cut down on the amount of alcohol you consume. You may lack adequate quantities of the enzyme that metabolises alcohol which will also make you prone to develop liver damage over time.

Are you sure you are only drinking ? many people take Xanax on a come down from Meth or Yeh Ba. I was prescribed them once for stress and they just wiped me out , after a week 1 wasn't doing anything , so a couple at a time ,a good way to lose days at a time

The answer seems obvious, stop drinking in this fashion.

Valium basically just neutralises everything, no pleasure in that day.

You may find this a horrifying or life changing prospect, but there is life after alcohol and parties, it's just a matter of finding clean alternatives to spend your time on.

Take it from me.

I abused alcohol extremely, ended up being more and more sensitive to after effects, and now although I've stopped I suffer an anxiety disorder which really affects my life's. You don't want to go that way.

Edited by cheeryble

Completely anecdotal experience but for what it's worth when I used to drink to the levels where I'd get hangovers the next day I used to take "Milk Thistle extract" sometimes with "dandelion extract" in it and it would help, seemingly to the point where my hangover symptoms would disappear.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is EXTREMELY dangerous!

These drugs suppress breathing and are completely contraindicated to use with alcohol.

Have your liver functions checked out if you get severe hangovers; better yet, cut down on the amount of alcohol you consume. You may lack adequate quantities of the enzyme that metabolises alcohol which will also make you prone to develop liver damage over time.

Good to know, this is what I was kind of worried about. Better to stick to a traditional hangover pizza then!

Yeah maybe I should have my liver function checked, because my hangovers usually last 3-4 days. On the other hand, I've read that this is normal especially for people who do sports seriously, you tend to feel the effects of a night out for a lot longer.

Are you sure you are only drinking ? many people take Xanax on a come down from Meth or Yeh Ba. I was prescribed them once for stress and they just wiped me out , after a week 1 wasn't doing anything , so a couple at a time ,a good way to lose days at a time

Absolutely, I don't do drugs.. drugs are bad, mkay?

Better take it the next morning when the shakes start ... not before sleeping.

Good point, at least this would minimize the risk of having large amounts of alcohol in blood when combining them.

The answer seems obvious, stop drinking in this fashion.
Valium basically just neutralises everything, no pleasure in that day.

You may find this a horrifying or life changing prospect, but there is life after alcohol and parties, it's just a matter of finding clean alternatives to spend your time on.

Take it from me.
I abused alcohol extremely, ended up being more and more sensitive to after effects, and now although I've stopped I suffer an anxiety disorder which really affects my life's. You don't want to go that way.

As I said in my original post, that's why I keep these nights out to a minimum. There is definitely more to life than that, I'm more into sports, healthy eating and other hobbies personally. However, being still young, it's nice to take a break sometimes and go have a proper night out, but the consequences are bad for me..

I actually have a very high tolerance for alcohol, I need to drink a lot to feel anything. The next day however, is a different thing..