British stars speak out against dog-meat trade's cruelty: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stealing pets should be punished severely, as should stealing any other property. Other than that, I think people should be able to eat pretty much whatever they like. I wouldn't eat a soi dog, but I agree with the majority that something needs to be done to get rid of them. I own dogs and enjoy exercise, but I can't take my dog out for a walk here because the mangie mutts on the street attack it. Same reason I cannot go for an early morning run or bike ride because the mutts on the street make it too dangerous to be out before sun rise.

I have seen the video being published around the media and other information about this, but just could not bring myself to watch the whole video. It begins with an audio of the dogs death screams and after the first few seconds had to switch it off. The ads also show photos of a dog having been de furred alive and trying to climb out of a pot of boiling water. It is horrific beyond belief.

I realise that those who are campaigning to have this vile practice stopped and want to get their point across, but did they really need to do this in such a graphic way? They could have least had blurred the photos, because in my opinion this is going to deter viewers from looking in rather than entice them to become involved. This literally is an overkill and too extreme.

Stealing pets should be punished severely, as should stealing any other property. Other than that, I think people should be able to eat pretty much whatever they like. I wouldn't eat a soi dog, but I agree with the majority that something needs to be done to get rid of them. I own dogs and enjoy exercise, but I can't take my dog out for a walk here because the mangie mutts on the street attack it. Same reason I cannot go for an early morning run or bike ride because the mutts on the street make it too dangerous to be out before sun rise.

although some people may be offended or disgusted by the consumption of dogs, this isn't actually the issue here - the issue is the treatment these dogs receive at the hands of their butchers.

You can of course argue that dog meat in societies like Thailand and other Asian countries is quite unnecessary, as there are perfectly good more efficiently produced supplies of alternative meats.......

There are also other issues connected with hygiene, disease etc., quite apart from the fact that these animals aren't FARMED - the usual system for providing food nowadays This leads to a total lack of regulation of this trade..... any other meat for human consumption would be subject to much stiffer regulation and hygiene laws.

Edited by wilcopops

It is amazing to me that people would think of speaking out against a valid food source, yet say nothing about cruelty towards humans; child labor, child abuse, slavery of migrants. I believe that humans should be first before animals. If it means that humans eat animals to gain protein, so much the better for both animals and humans.

"a valid food source" - that's a highly debatable statement - please elucidate.

If they lived in a soi with 30+ soi dogs they'd be singing a different tune.

It's one of the worst parts of living here! I like to walk and ride a bike. You do that at your own peril!

I think it is one of the main reasons why Thai people never walk or do any exercise

The govt needs to cull lots of these mangy dogs and give the streets back to the people.

As I sit here now I can hear 2/3 barking and snarling outside!

They should be culled, not tortured.

I prefer them fried and served with some gravy and french fries.

although some people may be offended or disgusted by the consumption of dogs, this isn't actually the issue here - the issue is the treatment these dogs receive at the hands of their butchers.

You can of course argue that dog meat in societies like Thailand and other Asian countries is quite unnecessary, as there are perfectly good more efficiently produced supplies of alternative meats.......

There are also other issues connected with hygiene, disease etc., quite apart from the fact that these animals aren't FARMED - the usual system for providing food nowadays This leads to a total lack of regulation of this trade..... any other meat for human consumption would be subject to much stiffer regulation and hygiene laws.

No animal should be treated like those dogs..

i UK abattoirs it used to be regular practice of the operators to leave an animal out to witness the death of the others - the idea being the creature would become terrified and the subsequent mat was either more tender or tastier.

In Korea there are those who believe if the dog is tortured it will make better eating.

Dogs for food often have their front legs broken and ties behind their backs - -my guess is that this is not just to make handling easier, it is probably also intended to improve the eating experience.

it would be a surd to think that those sot of ideas do not exist in the Thai dog meat trade.

The problem being that as unlike the pork or beef business it is unregulated these practices against dogs ca be far ore common tan in the slaughterhouse.

Exactly the opposite is the case. Fear makes the meat sour tasting. In the business meat slaughtered under those conditions is sold for much less if at all.

PSE in pigs is caused by severe, short-term stress just prior to slaughter, for example during off-loading, handling, holding in pens and stunning. Here the animal is subjected to severe anxiety and fright caused by manhandling, fighting in the pens and bad stunning techniques. All this may result in biochemical processes in the muscle in particular in rapid breakdown of muscle glycogen and the meat becoming very pale with pronounced acidity (pH values of 5.4-5.6 immediately after slaughter) and poor flavour. This type of meat is difficult to use or cannot be used at all by butchers or meat processors and is wasted in extreme cases. Allowing pigs to rest for one hour prior to slaughter and quiet handling will considerably reduce the risk of PSE.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/X6909E/x6909e04.htm

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Plants Know When They're Being Eaten and They Don't Appreciate it

http://inhabitat.com/plants-know-when-theyre-being-eaten-and-they-dont-appreciate-it/

You're havin' a larf!clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gifclap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

Yes, but it is a legitimate study. There have been many studies that demonstrate communication between plants. 'Google' it. People poison insects all the time. Are their lives less valuable? I have read posts proclaiming humans should be killed before soi dogs. The hypocrisy of dog lovers borders on the extreme.

So do you support an organisation that strive for better conditions for insects? Just curious...

Are there such organizations? Are insect farmers mistreating their stock? I think this is an outrage!

Seriously, I presented the data on plants to show that all food, in some way, has feelings and that nothing is without cost. The quotation below is from Kahlil Gibran's 'The Prophet'. The book is available for free on-line. It is philosophy.

On Eating and Drinking

Would that you could live on the fragrance of the earth, and like an air plant be sustained by the light.

But since you must kill to eat, and rob the newly born of its mother's milk to quench your thirst, let it then be an act of worship.

And let your board stand an altar on which the pure and the innocent of forest and plain are sacrificed for that which is purer and still more innocent in man.

When you kill a beast say to him in your heart,

"By the same power that slays you, I too am slain; and I too shall be consumed.

For the law that delivered you into my hand shall deliver me into a mightier hand.

Your blood and my blood is naught but the sap that feeds the tree of heaven."

And when you crush an apple with your teeth, say to it in your heart,

"Your seeds shall live in my body,

And the buds of your tomorrow shall blossom in my heart,

And your fragrance shall be my breath,

And together we shall rejoice through all the seasons."

And in the autumn, when you gather the grapes of your vineyards for the winepress, say in your heart,

"I too am a vineyard, and my fruit shall be gathered for the winepress,

And like new wine I shall be kept in eternal vessels."

And in winter, when you draw the wine, let there be in your heart a song for each cup;

And let there be in the song a remembrance for the autumn days, and for the vineyard, and for the winepress.

i UK abattoirs it used to be regular practice of the operators to leave an animal out to witness the death of the others - the idea being the creature would become terrified and the subsequent mat was either more tender or tastier.

In Korea there are those who believe if the dog is tortured it will make better eating.

Dogs for food often have their front legs broken and ties behind their backs - -my guess is that this is not just to make handling easier, it is probably also intended to improve the eating experience.

it would be a surd to think that those sot of ideas do not exist in the Thai dog meat trade.

The problem being that as unlike the pork or beef business it is unregulated these practices against dogs ca be far ore common tan in the slaughterhouse.

Exactly the opposite is the case. Fear makes the meat sour tasting. In the business meat slaughtered under those conditions is sold for much less if at all.

PSE in pigs is caused by severe, short-term stress just prior to slaughter, for example during off-loading, handling, holding in pens and stunning. Here the animal is subjected to severe anxiety and fright caused by manhandling, fighting in the pens and bad stunning techniques. All this may result in biochemical processes in the muscle in particular in rapid breakdown of muscle glycogen and the meat becoming very pale with pronounced acidity (pH values of 5.4-5.6 immediately after slaughter) and poor flavour. This type of meat is difficult to use or cannot be used at all by butchers or meat processors and is wasted in extreme cases. Allowing pigs to rest for one hour prior to slaughter and quiet handling will considerably reduce the risk of PSE.

I think you should re-read my post!

but if you want to play google - finish your r4search before posting.

"The effects of animal stress on meat quality have been studied for over 50 years. Hedrick (1965) reviewed the effects of antemortem stress on meat quality and indicated cattle, when subjected to stressful conditions for several hours preslaughter, usually have lower muscle glycogen, higher postmortem pH, and improved tenderness and juiciness. In the past 45 years, these observations have held true " - Beef Texture and Juiciness*

M. Juárez, N. Aldai, Ó. López-Campos, M. E. R. Dugan, B. Uttaro, and J. L. Aalhus

Edited by wilcopops

Disgusting behavior and get a new keyboard

Not read every page, so don't know if anybody else has commented on this:

And dogs are not ordinary animals.

I would like to assure you, they are. You may have a dog that loves you, does tricks, is obedient, blah, blah, blah, but there are many animals that can be taught. Usually responding well to affection - or food.

I do tricks, am obedient (most of the time), love my owner, blah, blah, blah. And in return I get affection and food.

And guess what? I'm an ordinary human being (aka animal) - just like you.

For those that have eaten dog, does it taste like chicken? And that's a genuine question, no sarcasm or anything else intended.

http://inhabitat.com/plants-know-when-theyre-being-eaten-and-they-dont-appreciate-it/

You're havin' a larf!clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gifclap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

Yes, but it is a legitimate study. There have been many studies that demonstrate communication between plants. 'Google' it. People poison insects all the time. Are their lives less valuable? I have read posts proclaiming humans should be killed before soi dogs. The hypocrisy of dog lovers borders on the extreme.

So do you support an organisation that strive for better conditions for insects? Just curious...

Are there such organizations? Are insect farmers mistreating their stock? I think this is an outrage!

Seriously, I presented the data on plants to show that all food, in some way, has feelings and that nothing is without cost. The quotation below is from Kahlil Gibran's 'The Prophet'. The book is available for free on-line. It is philosophy.

On Eating and Drinking

Would that you could live on the fragrance of the earth, and like an air plant be sustained by the light.

But since you must kill to eat, and rob the newly born of its mother's milk to quench your thirst, let it then be an act of worship.

And let your board stand an altar on which the pure and the innocent of forest and plain are sacrificed for that which is purer and still more innocent in man.

For the law that delivered you into my hand shall deliver me into a mightier hand.

And in the autumn, when you gather the grapes of your vineyards for the winepress, say in your heart,

And in winter, when you draw the wine, let there be in your heart a song for each cup;

And let there be in the song a remembrance for the autumn days, and for the vineyard, and for the winepress.

You're one of the worst spin doctors I ever had the misfortune to meet on TVF.

• Like 2

Well done for confirming pigs, chimps, hippos etc are not carnivores ...they don't need meat....

http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html

Chimps probably don't need meat, just like I don't need meat. I don't need sex, alcohol, a car, listen to music or many other things.

But I enjoy sex, alcohol and listening to music. The car makes my life easier.

I also enjoy eating meat.

Arguments about teeth aren't going to change what I enjoy or my eating habits.

Btw I don't like chicken. If I'm hungry I'll eat it. Like pork, but not very keen on bacon, even though it smells REALLY good when cooking.

Never had the chance to eat dog, but would like to try it.

I think you should re-read my post!

but if you want to play google - finish your r4search before posting.

"The effects of animal stress on meat quality have been studied for over 50 years. Hedrick (1965) reviewed the effects of antemortem stress on meat quality and indicated cattle, when subjected to stressful conditions for several hours preslaughter, usually have lower muscle glycogen, higher postmortem pH, and improved tenderness and juiciness. In the past 45 years, these observations have held true " - Beef Texture and Juiciness*

M. Juárez, N. Aldai, Ó. López-Campos, M. E. R. Dugan, B. Uttaro, and J. L. Aalhus

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think your first post above, "the one I responded to" says meat slaughtered under stress is better tasting? And that is what I was disagreeing with. It's not it tastes awful and that's why they play music at slaughter houses and prevent the animal from seeing what is going on.

If I misinterpreted your post my apologies.

On Eating and Drinking

By 'worst', does that mean you think I am not a good spin doctor?

Seriously, with all the problems in the world celebs get together to help with this???? Hardly Bob Geldof's live aid is it, could think of thousands of things that need the media attention more than this.

Thats right Jeremy, cos Ebola is never talked about is it? Or the fact Islamic lunatics are beheading innocent people in the name of their god. Oh hang on, we never hear of the Ukraine airplane anymore do we, or the one went in to the ocean, presumably.

So <deleted> has other problems around the globe to do with the fact dogs, soi or not, are being treated with huge cruelty in a land that supposedly doesn't eat their meat and is also strongly Buddhist?

I stand corrected, this is absolutely the best use of celebrity status possible. How blind of me not to see it the first time, thanks.

Perhaps your level of sarcasm should be directed inward, you clearly have the talent for it

In a country where fox and other wild animals and birds hunting is a major sport, should look at it's

self first before criticize any one else, people who live in glass houses.....

Fox hunting was banded a long time ago

Fox hunting was banned in the UK, but enforcing the ban proved difficult, to say the least.

There are issues with this, and so many many other things that are to do with the British class system, things that IMHO most non-Brits would find hard to understand.

Tally-ho!shock1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Q3XOm0fuQs.png

Well done for confirming pigs, chimps, hippos etc are not carnivores ...they don't need meat....

http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html

Chimps probably don't need meat, just like I don't need meat. I don't need sex, alcohol, a car, listen to music or many other things.

But I enjoy sex, alcohol and listening to music. The car makes my life easier.

I also enjoy eating meat.

Arguments about teeth aren't going to change what I enjoy or my eating habits.

Btw I don't like chicken. If I'm hungry I'll eat it. Like pork, but not very keen on bacon, even though it smells REALLY good when cooking.

Never had the chance to eat dog, but would like to try it.

How is that link relevant to my quote you posted? What has this to do with chimps and humans not needing to consume flesh? I find it very interesting to hear peoples justifications for killing animals, things like i enjoy sex and music. Child molesters enjoy molesting children, meat eaters enjoy killing/eating children, are you suggesting just because someone enjoys doing something it is good enough reason to do it? What about the victims? BTW I did not bring up the subject of teeth (and I don't think it should have particular relevance to someones morals anyhow), I was just pointing out that it was another absurd justification and there are and abundance of plant eating animals with canines anyhow.

In a country where fox and other wild animals and birds hunting is a major sport, should look at it's

For an animal loving nation Brits have one of the worst records on animal cruelty. Badger cull springs to mind and dont the Royal Family hunt? And yes im a Brit btw

If they lived in a soi with 30+ soi dogs they'd be singing a different tune.

Not the dogs fault is it. Educate people rather than blame the dogs.

Kill the dogs would be more achievable.

Yeah lets kill em. Rambo. Typical Yank

On Eating and Drinking

By 'worst', does that mean you think I am not a good spin doctor?

Exactly...

For an animal loving nation Brits have one of the worst records on animal cruelty. Badger cull springs to mind and dont the Royal Family hunt? And yes im a Brit btw

Yes, Einstein, we also used to bait bears, and ponies in pits, plus the odd canary too.