VISA TO ENTER MYANMAR AND CAMBODIA

Hello Forum Members

I wish to visit Cambodia and Myanmar in December 2014. I am a US citizen, presently living in Chiang Mai.

A few years ago, I visited both countries. I believe that Terms and Conditions may have changed.

Please enumerate for me the latest requirements to enter both countries.

Thanks very much.

James Peiris

Start with this:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/burma.html

Last time I got a visa for Myanmar I used a travel agent to help sort everything out. It made it much easier.

If you only want to visit the Burmese town opposite Mae Sai (Tachilek) you can cross in and get permission to stay in that town for 14 days without a visa.

An online application for Burma might be possible as well according to that US government web site I linked to above. They write:

"On September 1, 2014, the Government of Burma announced an eVisa program for tourist visas. The program allows tourists to apply for a visa online rather than physically applying at an embassy or consulate. Once tourists are approved for the visa, the visa needs to be used within three months."

An online application for Burma might be possible as well according to that US government web site I linked to above. They write:

Myanmar e-visa, valid only for entry via air to Yangon only: $50.

Myanmar regular tourist visa, valid at all borders and airports: $25.