Super Mosquitoes

infinity11

Not only are there more mosquitoes where i stay (pattaya, sigh) than ever before in years past, there are more and more of these smaller extremely fast ones.

Even their bite seems worse and they are much more difficult to catch and kill than the normal larger and slower ones I was used to.

Any wisdom or insights or simply learn to live with it and deal with it?

Thanks.

I found 2-3 types:

Bangkok small Mosquitoes which are slow and silly. Can catch them easily. But they are chemical resistant, they can take a bit of spray.

Southern Mosquitoes, big, fast, smart, but if they only see a can of spray they fall dead from the sky.

Maybe they now interbreed?

Secret weapon is the aircon....below 20 degree they can only walk, very different than our hard European Mosquitoes which still fly at 15 degree.

Eating garlic also helps (in Europe, not tested in Thailand, yet) but you need real huge amounts, which will also cause your girlfriend to leave...

• Like 1

There are all the usual repellants OTC, as well as 50/50 mixtures of dettol and olive oil, smells a bit but works well. around your house or in pots grow lemon grass, there are two types - make sure you get the mozzie resistant variety. Google the other herbal concoctions and plants - they all work for a short time. Still the only effective remedy and deterrant is DEET. Boots own brand is about 50% deet. Also, don't have tall plants near your house, make sure there is no standing water anywhere near where you live. We have two large earthenware water containers at the edge of our verandah. They're a great breading ground so my wife put some of father's small fighting fish in them. It works a treat, but we are also coming into the dry season so not so many anyway. Stay away from red meat and don't wear red. Apart from all that, keep on drinking, it eases the pain.

• Like 1

We have much less mozzies this year, i m so pleased with that.

I planted the fragrant lemongrass around the house and culled the bird of paradise plants. It seems to work.

Also they fume the whole moobaan, don't know if they do that more often this year then other years.

We eat loads of garlic (garlic here is not strong at all) and me and my wife are real mosquito magnets but this year i rarely get stung.

We also have small fish in the pond but now i'm thinking of removing the whole pond, i m so happy that they don't attack the minute i go into the garden.

Those small mosquito's we had last year, they are fast and very annoying. It also helps to hang fans on the ceiling/wall on your terrace. If you spray the garden then do it early in the morning so the soil can dry fast.

The only dangerous ones are the ones with black and white stripes. They CAN carry dengue fever. Otherwise eat plenty of chillies they don't like chilli tainted blood.

Consider moving to the Darkside very few mozzies but it does have a fly season from April to August. The flies can be overwhelming sometimes.

Op, it may interest you to learn that there are something like 400 types of mozzie. Not sure how many are Thai though, can't be bothered to check.

ATF, I believe it is only the female white stripe that carries dengue.

Dave I've never checked the genitalia. 555555555555

yep many species but when i first came to where i am now a few years back there was only one kind where i stay

not so small and not so fast and easy to catch and kill

now there are two kinds

in fact the new kind are taking over

smaller and smaller, faster and faster

very hard to catch and kill

increasing in numbers

i am NOT making this up