DTAC Credit & Validity, but Phone wouldn't work

JusMe

I've been overseas for several months, but before leaving, I made sure my DTAC card and phone number would remain valid by paying ahead for it.

As I arrived, I checked and had a bit more than 200 baht credit, and validity until Nov 24th.

But when I tried phoning, all I got was a chime and message in Thai. Wouldn't make any call whatsoever.

I went in to the DTAC office asking about Happy phone and saying I wasn't happy!

They "explained" that I had to top it up with another 20 baht. So now I have a credit of a bit more than before, and validity until Nov 29th.

I still don't understand what happened. I had credit, had validity, but needed more? I'd have really been stuffed if I'd wanted to make a phone call as I left the plane.

Anyone have an idea of what happened with that?

The 20 baht figure is what I had to pay DTAC to extend the life of my SIM card for one year. You do get increased "usage" time when you top it up but that is only in small increments of extended usage. What happened is even though you had a good balance, since you did not " top it up " during the time you were gone, it expired even if you did have a balance left

It is a matter of how DTAC customer service "codes" the transaction that allows the life of the SIM to be extended for a full year at one time. There is a way to do it from your phone but I have always either used the call center or had the young ladies at the DTAC shop extend it for me for a cost of 20 Baht

As I began, *101*9# reported there was a credit of more than 200 baht, and valid until Nov 24th this year. (no doubt about that date)

Back in April, I extended the validity until that Nov date to ensure it would work well for a month or so after my return. Obviously, it didn't.

If I had credit and validity, why should I have had to top it up in order to receive what I already had?

Not world shattering, and working now, but I'd sure like to understand what was going on.

Assuming you did not understand the recorded message, did you make one call to one number, many calls to one number, many calls to many numbers? My best guess was a call completion issue, but the obvious place to get clarification is with DTAC.

What is the reply to *101*9# send TODAY (NOW)?

Edited by lomatopo

Assuming you did not understand the recorded message, did you make one call to one number, many calls to one number, many calls to many numbers? My best guess was a call completion issue, but the obvious place to get clarification is with DTAC.

What is the reply to *101*9# send TODAY (NOW)?

Yes - one call to one number, many calls to one number, many calls to many numbers.

The clarification from DTAC was a smile and "Pay 20 baht for top up."

Reply to *101*9# RIGHT NOW: 236.32 baht valid until 29 Nov

So I'm curious if I'll need to "top up" with another 20 baht at the end of November, or I can simply extend the validity and use of the phone by dialling *113*30# and taking the necessary baht from the credit I've got there.

To keep a number active, there is also an activity requirement.. something like 1 call or text in 6 months or 1 yr. It's possible that's what the 20 baht did... satisfied the activity requirement.

Now that makes sense. I don't think I'd heard about that requirement at all before. But it's very likely I went six months without any activity on that phone, between the extension of validity and trying again on my return.

Wish I'd known about that. Thanks trunknuk.