Rolf Harris loses first conviction appeal bid

Lite Beer

Rolf Harris loses first conviction appeal bid

LONDON: Rolf Harris has lost the first round of a legal challenge against his conviction for indecent assaults.

The disgraced entertainer was jailed in July for nearly six years for 12 indecent assaults on four girls, including one aged just seven or eight.

The Judicial Office confirmed a judge had refused his application for permission to appeal, lodged in August.

But the 84-year-old can still renew the application before three judges at the Court of Appeal.

The artist, TV presenter and musician was convicted at London's Southwark Crown Court in June.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-29852227

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-01

Kiddy fiddlers do not deserve to remain a focus of the news media. There should also be a big warning label on all his records that are still available for sale and may be downloaded from Amazon warning them that "purchase royalties will go towards supporting this freaks appeal against his sentence for abusing children"

• Like 2

Only 6 years? Damaged at least 4 girls' lives. It would be usual for a pervert like that to have been doing it for decades but he got nailed for four.

I don't care how old he is. Either string him up or lock him away for life.

This response from ? a judge ? someone who heard all the evidence ? no its a typical TV poster armchair critic who thinks he's god.

Thank goodness the process for picking judges isn't a lottery or everyone who even looked at a policeman would be sentenced to death if this poster won.

On your basis of judgement any sex offender would be better off killing the abused as under your system every offender is going to get life. Is this not the same as the big mistake made when they sentenced the 'Great Train Robbers' ? They gave them the same sentences than they would have got by carrying firearms. After many criminals used guns.

• Like 2

The campaign to "out" pedophiles and child abusers in high places seems to have run out of steam since a handful of showbiz celebs like Harris were thrown to the lions for offences committed up to half a century ago.

Their highly-publicised trials, mostly involving incidents with older children or grown women rather than children, may well have been an Establishment ploy to deflect attention from pedophile rings and organised groups of child abusers in high places. We must not let this happen.

These privileged perverts rely on well-connected procurers like infamous rapist and necrophiliac Jimmy Saville to provide fresh "meat" for sex orgies and satanic rituals, in which the child victims are not only sexually assaulted, but frequently tortured and even killed.

According to a controversial expose by a British barrister, the late Tory leader Ted Heath was a regular client of Savile and was subjected to blackmail by a foreign power as a result.The cigar-smoking DJ would ferry teenagers from a boys' home to sex parties on the former Conservative prime minister's yacht, Morning Cloud, where they would be plied with drink and drugs and sexually abused. To cover up the crimes, it is claimed that youngsters were subsequently murdered and their bodies dumped at sea.

Equally astonishing revelations by victims of pedophiles and their support groups - said to involve prominent figures ranging from judges and journalists to politicians and Royalty - are rife on the Internet and other alternative information sources.

These allegations, detailing serial abuse by organised pedophile and child sex rings in the UK, need to properly investigated and acted upon. That they are not may well reflect the degree of control exerted by the rich and powerful over the mass media and the forces of law and order - and an indication that the Establishment is attempting to close ranks to avoid scrutiny.

This must not be allowed to happen. We should all be equal before the law. Bringing a few small fry to the net while leaving the privileged sharks to continue to enjoy their feeding frenzy unchecked means thousands more young lives are remain in danger of being damaged and destroyed.

In the last few days alone, in the wake of a series of scandals involving child care homes, it was reported that the Northern city of Manchester has 650 missing children believed to be in danger of sexual exploitation and serious harm. Worldwide, a staggering eight million children disappear every year, with some two million abused.

Nobody involved in what amounts to a child sex industry deserves to be beyond the reach of justice - no matter how elevated their status. And it is up to us, as adults and parents, to insist that they aren't.

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1

Is there any proof he is a fiddler though?

Maybe there is but that's why I'm asking.

No proof then your comment is slander.

? Considering that " the disgraced entertainer was jailed in July for nearly six years for 12 indecent assaults on four girls'; one imagines there were sufficient grounds/proof that he was guilty of being a fiddler.

• Like 2

LONDON: Rolf Harris has lost the first round of a legal challenge against his conviction for indecent assaults.

He's been convicted and his legal challenge has been turned down. Do you suppose the British judicial system understands DNA testing and "proof" at least as well as you do?

• Like 2

Kiddy fiddlers do not deserve to remain a focus of the news media. There should also be a big warning label on all his records that are still available for sale and may be downloaded from Amazon warning them that "purchase royalties will go towards supporting this freaks appeal against his sentence for abusing children"

Damn you Brits for using such a tame expression for something so ugly. Kiddie fiddler is really kid molester. So why not say so ??????????

He's been convicted and his legal challenge has been turned down. Do you suppose the British judicial system understands DNA testing and "proof" at least as well as you do?

That's why I was asking.... was there any DNA proof?

These allegations were a long way back.

So I just googled it...........BBC News

No independent evidence exists to prove entertainer Rolf Harris was at events where he allegedly groped two girls, a court has heard.

Southwark Crown Court was told there was no trace of him appearing at a community centre near Portsmouth in 1969 or an event in Cambridge in 1975.

Nothing was found despite searches of newspaper archives, the jury heard.

Mr Harris, 84, denies 12 counts of indecent assault on four girls aged between seven or eight and 19.

The incidents are alleged to have taken place between 1968 and 1986.

One alleged victim claimed he groped her bottom, when she was 13 or 14, outside a Celebrity It's a Knock Out event in Cambridge.

Just because he was convicted he is guilty?

Remember the Birmingham 6?

Incorrect. It's defamation because in the eyes of the law it's "printed".

And it's not the poster that could be fined: it's ThaiVisa.

Incorrect. It's defamation because in the eyes of the law it's "printed".

And it's not the poster that could be fined: it's ThaiVisa.

No, Libel is the act of defamation by the printed word, Defamation can be Slander or Libel.

"On 30 June 2014, Harris was found guilty of all twelve charges of indecent assault between 1969 and 1986, on four victims aged between 8 and 19 at the time" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolf_Harris

Using the words "kiddie fiddler" seems a fair description considering he has been found guilty of indecent assault by a court of law, and one of the victims was only 8 years old at the time, [should he ever be found not guilty I will willingly retract this statement].

He is appealing but his appeal has been turned down, appealing what one or more of his convictions or the serverity of the sentence?

P.S.

Rumour has it that this years Panto at HMP Bullingdon will be "Fiddler On The Roof" whistling.gif

Edited by Basil B

He was found guilty and he admitted an "affair to the girls father in a letter" but the girl was under age. I don't think he was going out snatching kids but to be fair a jury did find him guilty of kiddy fiddling so it seems a non contentious term. I was a bit surprised out of all of them I thought he was ok not like that Max Clifford he Defo looked like a rapist, until this all came up I thought Harris was ok to be honest. The 1980s though we're a very different world to now

As I said above google the Birmingham 6 the Guildford 4 or the Maguire 7.

Just because somebody is convicted does not prove they are guilty.

Facts prove they are guilty.

I see no FACTS just accusations.

Yes there have been too many miss carriages of justice torture for confessions and set ups, god it's hard to believe I'm talking about my own country :-(

But in Rolfs case he did admit it but said it was consensual, but it started when she was 15.

It must be near on impossible to find someone guilty on something done 30 years ago so you do wonder. But if they are convicted they are technically guilty the clues in the name "convicted" but I will concede it must be very hard to prove these things as no DNA or normal evidence.

And I must also concede what would be considered normal behaviour in the 70s and 80s would land you in court now.