Unknown snake

Aforek

Hi, everybody

this morning, doing my jogging, I have seen a snake that I have never seen before, and I have found no picture of it on the Internet

no picture, but I can describe it because as soon as it saw me, it stopped and I had time to look at it

very small ( may be a baby ), dark brown body ( not black ), small head completely black, and at the end of the tail, 2 small black stripes ; when I moved, it ran away, but not very at ease, like a worm ( but I really think it was a snake )

Edited by Aforek

maybe baby snakes are different from adults; the most remarquable was the completely distinct color of the head : very black head , then united brown body ( no stripes ) and at the end of the tail 2 distinct black ( same black than the head ) stripes ; he tried to run fast , but not very effective, because it was a baby I suppose

I have looked at pipe snake, sunbeam snake, rat snake , blind snake ... none of them are like that

it was like that ( but this one, as I understant is from US, not Thailand, and we don't see the end of the tail

blackheadedsnake_medium.jpg

Edited by Aforek

Hi folks, while I have the attention of snake enthusiast, I saw one recently that looked beautiful, it looked like a long bean in the market, same color and size with a triangle head that was very pointy, like its nose was at a 30' triangle. It was literally hanging out in tall grass, staying very still, I was about 6 inches away when I saw it first.

I stayed there for about another hour and disappeared. I have never seen one with such an amazing color. (PS, I am not a fan of snakes!)

Any ideas?

My father in law once told me that if approaching a snake and the snake stands it`s ground or does not move away fast, than it`s venomous. The snake is saying; oh yea, wanna mess with me do ya, common then I dare ya.

If the snake is non venomous then it will usually try to get away from what it considers as an approaching danger pronto. So in other words beware of snakes that look at you head on and don`t show much fear.

So in other words beware of snakes that look at you head on and don`t show much fear.

It may be true ; in the same park, where there are different snakes,two years ago I have seen a young python who looked at me, not moving but attentive, not agressive but not affraid at all; I think that if I go one meter more, he would have striked on me; I changed my way , because the situation was risky for me ( pythons, not venomous, but their bite is very painful )

on two other occasions, in the same park, I have run at about 1 meter from cobras ; they saw me before I saw them , and they quietly looked at me and let me pass near them ; when I noticed them, they left slowly, not agressive ( but after that, my heart was beating very fast )

Hi folks, while I have the attention of snake enthusiast, I saw one recently that looked beautiful, it looked like a long bean in the market, same color and size with a triangle head that was very pointy, like its nose was at a 30' triangle. It was literally hanging out in tall grass, staying very still, I was about 6 inches away when I saw it first.

I stayed there for about another hour and disappeared. I have never seen one with such an amazing color. (PS, I am not a fan of snakes!)

Any ideas?

I think it's this one ", oriental whip snake " ; I have seen two of them already : very strange head

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=oriental+whip+snake&client=firefox-a&hs=hJq&rls=org.mozilla:fr:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&imgil=SFykb3UJ9EVsfM%253A%253B5b4JaGzlGJ-ZrM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.nickgarbutt.com%25252Fphoto-galleries%25252Fborneo-and-se-asia%25252Freptiles&source=iu&pf=m&fir=SFykb3UJ9EVsfM%253A%252C5b4JaGzlGJ-ZrM%252C_&usg=__Noi1o2l7SxTNafhXQ-CuzcNQnhs%3D&biw=1152&bih=634&ved=0CCcQyjc&ei=9JVUVIOjNc-PuATXu4LYAg#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=6asSeuEfM7UoeM%253A%3BQUpCqp0JT6_QRM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F1.bp.blogspot.com%252F-GBgVfs2OSQQ%252FTgcJOpE6dSI%252FAAAAAAAAEFA%252FhtSgFeHQFcQ%252Fs1600%252FOriental%252BWhip%252BSnake.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fsvcatchastar.blogspot.com%252F2011%252F07%252Fsailing-phangnga-bay.html%3B400%3B300

Edited by Aforek

My father in law once told me that if approaching a snake and the snake stands it`s ground or does not move away fast, than it`s venomous. The snake is saying; oh yea, wanna mess with me do ya, common then I dare ya.

If the snake is non venomous then it will usually try to get away from what it considers as an approaching danger pronto. So in other words beware of snakes that look at you head on and don`t show much fear.

Nonsense. I've come across brown snakes in Oz and they turn and run as soon as you get close.

The advice of your fil could very well make a person lower their caution if a venemous snake tries to slither away.

May be it's this one " common blackhead snake "งูคอขวั้นหัวดำ Sibynophis collaris; the one on the picture is an adult but we see the two black stripes at the end of the tail

mine was a baby, about 20 cms, the adult reaches 75 cm

http://f.ptcdn.info/883/012/000/1386062750-Untitled1-o.jpg

if it was not this one , it looks like mine

Edited by Aforek

complete nonsense and dangerous trash to regurgitate as it could get another person seriously injured..

Some interesting snake facts...

A recently discovered fossil snake was 49 feet long, longer than a school bus!
Snakes are probably the most misunderstood, and most illogically feared creatures on the planet. Of the 2,200-plus species of snakes in the world, fewer than 20 percent are venomous > http://www.petsource.org/pet-reptile-behavior/5422-cat-reptile-behavior.html
  • Like 1

complete nonsense and dangerous trash to regurgitate as it could get another person seriously injured..

as said many Times Treat ALL Snakes as venomous.

The Father in law is wrong Im afraid, most snakes "feel" you coming and run away pronto, exceptions are the Malay Pit Viper who sits there all stupid until you step on it then bites, its still there hours later when you get back from the hospital.

King Cobras also very shy and run unless cornered.

• Like 1

as said many Times Treat ALL Snakes as venomous.

When in fact most arent including many commonly seen, however you are right to treat all with respect.

May be it's this one " common blackhead snake "งูคอขวั้นหัวดำ Sibynophis collaris; the one on the picture is an adult but we see the two black stripes at the end of the tail

mine was a baby, about 20 cms, the adult reaches 75 cm

http://f.ptcdn.info/883/012/000/1386062750-Untitled1-o.jpg

if it was not this one , it looks like mine

You see some strange creatures here for sure, this was on of my favourites, it was very docile, one thing I love about Thailand................when they arent eating it.

I have seen several small snakes when they tried to cross through a pass ; when they saw me, non agressive, they instantly stopped , maybe surprised or shy , not trying to escape

it's only when I took a step forward that they run away ( let's say that they "run"smile.png ) ; as for snakes who escape fast or slow, I have seen cobras fast and slow, crossing roads very fast ; I have heard that king cobras are shy but they run slow : how to know exactly ? may be it depends if we are threatening or not, far or near , like the two cobras which let me pass when I was running : I was not threatening them

One thing to keep in mind, very few are bitten by a snake they see, as snakes usually will not persue you, it is the unseen ones that get you, like the russels viper or malaysian viper, hidden in leaf litter, and you step close, or a tree viper in the bush that you pass too close on the trail. Once you see it you can decide to move away, 99% efective strategy or observe from a safe distance. When walking on jungle tracks I carry a long stick to prod leaf litter and tap forward bushes to warn the snakes of my presence. Snakes are beatiful creatures.

Vipers are much more agressive than cobras ; in one year, jogging, I have seen all in all 8 cobras, non at all agressive : they went away , not trying to strike on me, must of them , slowly , but they were already half hidden in the grass: they saw me ( or they felt my vibrations ) before I saw them ; they are dangerous when they are surprised

Edited by Aforek

Copy of a post I made a while back on this subject maybe of interest to you. I agree that we should treat all snakes as dangerous unless you really know your stuff, best to be safe than sorry. I also agree that Viper's seem to be more aggressive than Cobras, and I've had many 'dealings' with both, in fact my 2 dogs are v good snake hunters but both nearly died from Viper bites!

link to an excellent e-book that may be useful for the OP, or anyone else interested in learning more about snakes here.

http://www.thailandsnakes.com/ebook/ (many thanks to the Author, Vern Lovic from Krabi).