Joint development of electric cars takes off

Lite Beer

Joint development of electric cars takes off

1-11-2557-12-11-18-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Science and Technology Development Agency (NSTDA) and Loxley Plc yesterday signed an agreement to jointly develop technologies and equipment standards in order to develop future electric car production in Thailand.

The cooperation is seen to help improve the capability for Thailand to enhance its automobile production business sector to be competitive in the world market and increase value for the industry.

NSTDA executive vice president Dr Narong Sirilertworakul said that NSTDA is putting major emphasis into automobile research, including the automobile parts production industry.

He said NSTDA has been doing a lot of research on electrical vehicles especially into batteries, as the battery is the major component in the electric vehicle.

It is also doing research into Engine Control Unit (ECU), which controls all the equipment in the vehicle, as well as the breaking system.

The collaboration between the two will allow NSTDA to go forward to have its Research and Development (R&D) begin developing the battery and the charging system, as the batteries that are imported to the country are not quite compatible with the Thai system, and also to help with Loxley’s plan to provide electric bus for commercial service in the future.

Dr Narong added that electric cars will be in high demand in the future, and that electric cars a source of power can be from many sources not just fossil fuel and natural gas.

Meanwhile Loxley advisor Dr Kosol Surakomol said he strongly believes in two years time that, the bilateral collaboration will help the technology be ready for commercial scale production, which will starts with electric bus.

He hoped that this technology will be use to replace current CNG buses, and that by shifting the technology to run purely on electric will contribute to a better environment, reducing the imports of fossil fuel to help the country save money on importing fossil fuel.

The future battery will also have to be further developed, including development of charging stations, but all will have to be studied to attain the highest efficiency for future.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/joint-development-electric-cars-takes/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-01

So they will buy a Prius, a Nissan LEAF and a Chevy Volt and reverse engineer them.

What are they going to charge the batteries with? More coal fired power plants?

Do they know what they are going to do with 200 kgs of batteries when they need replacing?

Do they know what small market share electric cars have in the developed world?

Do they know that manufactures don't make real money on these cars, but rather sell them to be PC?

Do they know that even then the cars are expensive compared to those with just an internal combustion engine?

Do they know that the USA has a 100 year supply of natural gas already drilled with many more places to drill?

Do they know the sticker shock for the consumer when he has to replace the batteries?

Do they know that these cars are more often rich guys toys rather than the main family car?

Do they know that "peak oil" is a myth for our lifetimes and that more oil is being discovered every year than is being used causing the supply to increase? Think Russia, Canada, Brazil and the US just for starters, and the UK with natural gas.

Do they know how clean the newer internal combustion engines run, and what great fuel economy some of them can get?

Do they know that some places are beginning to consider an annual tax on cars instead of a fuel tax because fuel economy is improving so much not enough tax is being paid to maintain the roads?

This announcement ranks right up there with big announcements of government to government rice sales that never happened.

• Like 1

I'm glad Steve Jobs didn't have your attitude towards new technology.

So they will buy a Prius, a Nissan LEAF and a Chevy Volt and reverse engineer them.

Do they know what they are going to do with 200 kgs of batteries when they need replacing?

Do they know that manufactures don't make real money on these cars, but rather sell them to be PC?

Do they know that even then the cars are expensive compared to those with just an internal combustion engine?

Do they know that the USA has a 100 year supply of natural gas already drilled with many more places to drill?

Do they know the sticker shock for the consumer when he has to replace the batteries?

Do they know that these cars are more often rich guys toys rather than the main family car?

Do they know that "peak oil" is a myth for our lifetimes and that more oil is being discovered every year than is being used causing the supply to increase? Think Russia, Canada, Brazil and the US just for starters, and the UK with natural gas.

Do they know how clean the newer internal combustion engines run, and what great fuel economy some of them can get?

Do they know that some places are beginning to consider an annual tax on cars instead of a fuel tax because fuel economy is improving so much not enough tax is being paid to maintain the roads?

This announcement ranks right up there with big announcements of government to government rice sales that never happened.

• Like 1

Battery powered cars are a technical cul-de-sac of the highest order, expensive and environmentally unfriendly.

Hydrogen is the way to go either as a quick fix for internal combustion engines or as the power source for fuel cells.

100% correct! Big oil and major car MFG will not let this happen for a very long time.For a small country like Thailand this could be great but such are the long tentacles of big oil and auto.

• Like 1

The NsTDA is going to outdo international business in battery research.

I sold a product that was blatentlt ripped off by an NSTDA program. I doubt there will be too much original in here and Thailand will simply put a wacking duty on battery imports. Thus, a business will be created to be exploited.

"... in two years time that, the bilateral collaboration will help the technology be ready for commercial scale production, which will starts with electric bus."

Instead of taking two years, why not collaborate with the Chinese company BYD that has already developed an electric bus for both Western and Asian markets? But I suspect Thailand will want to be in a position protect its own electric vehicle product for exclusive manufacturing and sale in Thailand while hitting imported electric vehicles with high taxes (as it currently does), regardless of the quality and functionality of Thai-developed electric vehicles.

post-171049-0-76515900-1414846621_thumb.

Exactly!! Jobs must have been a Thai. clap2.gif

He outright stole the Gui and the computer mouse from Xerox and that fact isn't in dispute. thumbsup.gif

And improved upon it and made it mainstream so now that everyone has one. Thanks for proving my point.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I saw a generator the runs on water and already in production, that would work. I've also seen plenty of

free energy electric generators that would work too. Not sure why all the negativity. Doesn't have to be

batteries does it?

• Like 1

Quite a bit of nonsense posted there. When they came out with the combustion engine everyone said it'd never overtake the horse drawn carriage, guess what? It has to start somewhere and of course it can't be expected to take over a long established market like the combustion engine has established, over night, but more over there are few more major manufacturers then EVER before who have taken the lead and are now in competition to make it work so that has a very large impact on the technology moving forward.. The tech needs to move forward too just like EVERY new tech product once it becomes more main stream then investment will bring new, cheaper and more efficient technology and the prices will drop while the breed improves. The same also goes for more amateur tech and interest today then ever before in people doing their own conversions and technology to do so far more available.

It is also true that to address the energy crunch it is going to require a host of different technologies not just one so there is definitely room for other alternatives, in fact I myself just before reading this was thinking I am definitely going to manufacture myself an Ev for local jaunts and just today this report was posted that inspired my thinking.. I have the ultimate car in my mind as it is not a really old car still relevant and sporty, also available in high numbers cheaply due to the current problems they've had with their motors.. I am also going to build it with my sons who are well into technology and we'll have fun learning together, there is a lot of available info around, removing and selling off much of the current combustion engine equipment will nearly pay for the conversion. While speaking with my boys about it it also occurred to me that it'd be perfect for their first cars, quite sporty, cool to drive and can be had for around $10,000 all in much cooler then any of the current EV options offered but for their purposes it limits their driving distance as well and time they can be out and about too, good for a parent. Perfect for going to and from school and a few other places, minimal maintenance required and about 10 years of life out of the current batteries and in 10 years the tech on batteries may be well advanced so a change out may be cheaper with less weight and better power. They will have very little maintenance costs while owning it and won't have to worry about having to have money to fuel it up to get to school or whatever? If they need to drive longer distances a trip for example there is always the rental car option.

The batteries I'm speaking of are also comprised of worthy metals for recycling, like copper and steel so recycling is worthwhile. Gases such as natural are good alternatives too but again will never likely be the entire bulk, nor should they be, that is part of the current problem with breaking into the petroleum market it's had total domination until the last 20 years making it that much harder for infrastructure and people to seek out other options. Of course we'll own at least one, not oft used petrol vehicle, yes, I can definitely see the benefits of having an Ev, I don't get why the "batteries are not compatible with Thailand" though, that's a bit of nonsensical Thai speak IMO, there is no need for special batteries, only special system adapters I.E. chargers, transformers and such.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/first-zelectric-bug-goes-sale-45-000-140025909.html

This is what I watched and it is very cool.. This Bug now has a new life probably another 50years or so if well kept and it's better then when it was first born. This makes the movie Gattaca look more likely in terms of the EV's in that movie which made it look like it was back stepping in technology with the classic cars that were Ev's in it. Anyway You pointed out all the negatives but failed to see or mention any of the multitude of positives and if you did the same with current petrol engined cars I think you'd see the negatives of them out weigh the positives of an EV head to head dollar for dollar. All the same problems you list exist with them as well, recycling batteries, and other dangerous components etc..Except the also add additional damage to the environment that Ev's do not, or do on a much smaller scale.. BTW that Bug is a well done classic, that accounts for a lot of it's price before they did the conversion so don't get too lost in the price.

as the batteries that are imported to the country are not quite compatible with the Thai system

crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

What?...wrong colour or something unsure.png.pagespeed.ce.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

Exactly!! Thai speak for BS we need to do it our way, even though it actually isn't our way.. We just need to claim it is.. tongue.pngthumbsup.gif

NeverSure, on 01 Nov 2014 - 05:55, said:

This a short sighted view IMO. It will happen and pretty fast as more money is pumped into the R&D.

• Like 1

Exactly!! Jobs must have been a Thai. clap2.gif

He outright stole the Gui and the computer mouse from Xerox and that fact isn't in dispute. thumbsup.gif

Pfftt so did Gates and everyone behind all the flavors of linux wink.png And let's not forget CBM too :)

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1