Good Western Soups - not to far from Thapae Gate

Ulysses G.

I really miss good Western soups and I don't want to make them myself. I like The Duke's soups, but they are so thick they are more like stews. Ragu has good minestrone soup with lots of vegetables, but the location in not convenient for frequent visits. Pum Pui used to have great vegetable soup when Sergio was running it, but that was long ago. Does anyone know where to get tasty, healthy Western soups these days, not too far from the moat area?

Edited by Ulysses G.

Gecko Bar has three soups that can be eaten there or taken away. My favourite is the pea and ham which might be too thick for you as you can stand a spoon in it. The clam chowder I have been told is good and there is a mushroom which I think is just OK.

• Like 2

The best split pea soup that I know of is at the Beer Stube on Moon Muang road near John's Place/Cozy Corner. I had forgotten about it until pea soup was mentioned.

Try their gulash soup, too. I love it.

Gecko Bar has three soups that can be eaten there or taken away. My favourite is the pea and ham which might be too thick for you as you can stand a spoon in it. The clam chowder I have been told is good and there is a mushroom which I think is just OK.

second that the pea and ham is my favourite as well

The best split pea soup that I know of is at the Beer Stube on Moon Muang road near John's Place/Cozy Corner. I had forgotten about it until pea soup was mentioned.

Can you give a soi that it is close to? About the only place I am familiar with on that road is Mad Dog and Inn of the North.

If it is too thick ask them to dilute it there or take it home and do the same! thumbsup.gif

Edited by scottishjohn

The Salad Concept just opened a new branch down towards Miguel's ... I like their Shitake Mushroom and Tomato Basil soups ... also have Pumpkin.

Also O'Malley's for their Potato Sausage soup ... also have tomato and mushroom soups which I haven't tried.

Soups at the Irish Pub are pretty good as well...They have Roast Tomato and Capsicum. Pea and Ham, Potato and Leek, Coconut and Pumpkin...and you get good bread to go with it.

And I like the Chicken Tortilla soup at Miguel's also

Edited by Bleacher Bum East
  • Like 1

The Golash at Beer Stube and O'Malley's Potato Sausage soup sound really particularly interesting. I had forgotten that the soups at the Irish Pub were good. I will have to check out some of the other places too. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

For those in the Nimmen area Why Not on Nimmen Soi 11 has mushroom, spinach, vegetable and one other soups with kidney beans. Apparently the seafood soup I referred to early is only offered on special occasions. Either that, or the menu has changed. All soups are 120 baht and come with two pieces of bread.

I had the mushroom soup today. I am no expert on soups but it was pretty much what I expected and I enjoyed it. I think it was served a bit too hot, however.

Can you give a soi that it is close to? About the only place I am familiar with on that road is Mad Dog and Inn of the North.

The Beer Stube has been here since I came in 1977 and it was the only place outside of a hotel to get a western meal, Location; if you were standing at the Spotlight, (you do know where the Spotlight is?) and look directly across the moat you will see the Beer Stube