Asian Soccer Champions

David48

1414889778044.jpg

They've done it. Western Sydney Wanderers have achieved the seemingly impossible to become the first Australian champions of Asia. A club that didn't exist three years ago has now clinched the greatest result in Australian club football history by toppling Asia's club of the century to win a historic champions league title.

The Wanderers hung on by the skin of their teeth, with a mixture of desperation and luck denying their hosts, who looked destined to win a third ACL title. It was exhausting just to watch as the suburban club from Sydney's western suburbs braved wave after wave of attack from the club of the Saudi kingdom. They survived the heat of the Arabian desert, the intimidation from nearly 70,000 passionate male fans, laser pointers directed into their eyes and most importantly a match against a team that feels aggrieved not to be on the podium.

Here

This is an Australian Club which was formed only 2 years ago.

Australian Soccer is fast becoming a genuine competitor for the other codes of Football here, being Aussie Rules, Rugby League and Union.

Even though Australia didn't win a game in the recent World Cup, many here, including me, watched the games as were proud of their efforts.

Well done to the Wanderers ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Why is it played over 2 legs?

Home and away.

Away goals count for two.

The game where the Aussies played the second leg was in Saudi ... there were apparently 40 supporters and one female.

Saudis do not allow (usually) females to attend the the game.

When they played the first game in Australia there were an 'away' crowd (Saudi) supporters of about 10,000 ... and good luck to them making the journey, 1/2 way across the world to support their team.

It's really funny in work this morning. This game was played about 5 mins from where I live and it was choca bloc in that area last night. It's a bit like Man U and Man City supporters around here. Half like Al Hilal and the other half are Al Nassr supporters. The Nassr fans are taking the michael big style out of the Hilal fans this morning. I think the winners go on to play Real Madrid and the Hilal fans were all giddy with that prospect.

Lots of Saudis with big grins on their faces here too. I gather Al Hilal aren't a popular team as most of them here were supporting Oz.

I guess the Al Hilal players won't be getting the extra 100K Riyal win bonus a prince had offered the players.

Lots of Saudis with big grins on their faces here too. I gather Al Hilal aren't a popular team as most of them here were supporting Oz.

I think Hilal are the team that is supported/sponsored/funded by Crown Princes, whereas Nassr is self funded. So that's probably why.

I think Hilal are the team that is supported/sponsored/funded by Crown Princes, whereas Nassr is self funded. So that's probably why.

They can have Soldado and Adebayor for 20 million Riyals....

Whatever that is....B)

Whatever that is....cool.png

About £3.3m

Whatever that is....cool.png

About £3.3m

We'll take it. :D

• Like 1

Why is it played over 2 legs?

Home and away.

Away goals count for two.

The game where the Aussies played the second leg was in Saudi ... there were apparently 40 supporters and one female.

I read it was 14.. They are very selective about who gets visas.