Do it properly once, or do it the Thai way.

sipi

My wife and I agree on everything Thai, from tipping a good cab driver to eating, to building our house.

But one thing we just can't agree on is building "temporary" things like garden beds, trellises, those outdoor eating shelters.....

If we had it my way everything would be made once from industrial grade stainless steel. The wife is happy to make them from bamboo and sticks, and do it all again next year.

This seems to be the Thai way.

We manage to somehow compromise. Bamboo and sticks with a coat of varnish.

• Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can go on like this but i won't....you have to accept that this is a 3rd world country and they have never learned to do things properly.

Ah yes the white mans burden, bloody natives cant do anything properly...rolleyes.gif

If i recall well then you were from Africa right?

Don't know about your wife, Sipi, but mine is going on for a long time now that she want's a wooden Ban Noi (small house in the garden.

I keep resisting for years, asking what's the purpose of it?

You've got a big veranda with 2 ceiling fans to enjoy yourself'

The answer is:

To put you in there when you die and come and say hello to youw00t.gif

build it next to your milking shed Costas...wink.png

• Like 1

The fact that bamboo is cheap (possibly free), widely available and easy to work with without needing anything more than a machete rather than welding gear and a bit of welding skill doesn't come into it I suppose?

No problem termites will eat it in just a few short years.

Hi Phil:

What I decided to do in the home furnishings department was to slowly purchase quality furniture over time.

The vinyl covered 'sudden-cushion-failure' sofas, the spot welded, cushions screwed into nothingness chairs, the laminated and veneered particle board "wood" furniture, the either spongy or 'bed-of-nails' mattresses are all crap -- bottom line -- a stone cold rip off.

The manufacturers of this crap ought to be lined up against a wall and shot.

Buy quality whenever possible, would be my advice.

• Like 2

The fact that bamboo is cheap (possibly free), widely available and easy to work with without needing anything more than a machete rather than welding gear and a bit of welding skill doesn't come into it I suppose?

No problem termites will eat it in just a few short years.

So we can add 'easily replaceable' to the list of advantages for bamboo.

• Like 1

We manage to somehow compromise. Bamboo and sticks with a coat of varnish.

yes bamboo and sticks lays some where between Industrial stainless steel and nothing,,,,, all and all a fair compromisetongue.png

I dont think you compromised, I think you capitulated

A disgrace to all man , very very sadsad.png I would have raised the stakes and have gone for spend plutonium rods,

just explain to her , all the money you will save from not having to turn the lights on at night.

• Like 1

The Thai way of building a house would be that the Thai wife would pay for the materials and building of the house totally financed by herself and the farang husband would not have any say in the project whatsoever, as a matter of fact they believe in the farang having no say in the house so much, that the authorities actually made it the law.

• Like 2

Stainless steel of course only being one choice of materials along with treated timber, zinc or powder coated aluminium etc. However I have been losing this arguement for years and can't see things changing. I am destined to an eternity of cutting bamboo and painting.?

• Like 1

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Just a small piece of trivia- inch for inch bamboo is stronger than steel.

Can be stronger but also can be much weaker . There are not many QC inspections on Bamboo, the only way you find the weaker stuff is when it fails

• Like 1