Growing avocado in Thailand

namdocmai

14 hours ago, fruitman said:

I thought booth7 is a west-indian avocado so can fruit all over thailand.

But i have a big tree of it and it still didn't fruit, never, not even bloom. And it's a grafted tree.

After how many years should a grafted cado bloom in Thailand? I'm already thinking of replacing it.

Most of my trees are about 5 years old. The peterson started flowering 3 years ago, one or 2 trees start flowering each year. Usually masses of flowers but very litttle fruit. 

Booth7 started flowering 2 years ago, but little flowers and no fruit yet. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like 5 years should have lots of fruit.. I wonder if Sharwils would do good, developed in Hawaii at same latitude as C Mai, but its not as hot. Looks like a long way still to go before a super avo in Thailand is found. I'd say: ask Your neighbors or fellow farmers but You Guys are the Pioneers! If I find what works great over here in a hot area, I'll let You know, and get some scions..
Aloha and good growing!

I have 20 or so ungrafted trees all around my house.. all within throwing (seed) range. There are also some on our road, along with a few flowering ungrafted trees. Very few, with very few fruit. Two avos is a blessing when that's all there is..
Don't leave trees ungrafted, though it's good to use seed stock, but graft "em, unless You like da shade trees..
There are also, Winter pears, and Summer pears.
I have a big root stock tree that grew four big trunks after being cut down. I could graft different scions to each trunk, but would be sure to have the same fruiting season on each.
Or not..
Aloha

• 1 month later...

Lots of ungrafted trees are flowering around me in Hawaii.. funny..
My friend wrote an article about it.. ten years, versus 4 for graphted teees, (or longer).
Hawaii has a fungus that turns the skin black like a burn. Can be cut off, but can be damaging.
Same latitude as LOS but 7,000 miles away.
http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/local-features/tropical-gardening-helpline-fungal-disease-likely-culprit-quick-rot-avos
Aloha
(You don't have it..)

• 4 months later...

Hi avocado experts,

recently had a disaster with my trees and wonder if there is anyhing i can do. The trees were flooded for 3 days, and i feel i have read that they can only survive 24 hours under water. The flood occurred Monday 10th July and they were dry by thursday. The trees still look ok but have noticed they are beginning to look a bit sad. Huge disappointment as had my first decent crop this year, one tree with as many as 50 avos. 

Any ideas?

thanks 

nick

hi Nick, sorry no one has responded. There's a mob in CM who grow advacadoes. I asked my LINE mob to let them know and try and see you on TV.
Hope it's a happy ending for you and your fruit. ?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Section 2.5 pruning, involves removing 2/3 of canopy all round, removing young growth leaving older leaves. Don't cut the top out of the tree otherwise you'll end up with a bush. I think you maybe left it too late as the experimental trees were pruned immediately after removing flood water but, hey, give it a go.

If you are likely to have annual flooding you might be on a lost cause?

Mate, I'm NO expert on this subject, I only had a look around as you looked short of advice. Good luck with them.

On 19/07/2017 at 9:27 AM, grollies said:

Section 2.5 pruning, involves removing 2/3 of canopy all round, removing young growth leaving older leaves. Don't cut the top out of the tree otherwise you'll end up with a bush. I think you maybe left it too late as the experimental trees were pruned immediately after removing flood water but, hey, give it a go.

If you are likely to have annual flooding you might be on a lost cause?

Mate, I'm NO expert on this subject, I only had a look around as you looked short of advice. Good luck with them.

Thanks very much for your help and advise. I have lived here about 8 years and this is the first time, caused by the gate in a damn half a kilo away breaking and being unable to open. Also OBT being incompetent and refusing to dig a path for the water to escape. Had to wait for the water to cut a path(assisted by me and friends)

4 hours ago, Snoozy said:

Any new information on buying grafted avocados here in Thailand? Any sources? Or names of nurseries that might ship to Thailand?

I've a contact for grafted avocados, I'll send him your query.

• 3 months later...

Guys we bought 100 grafted avocados 4 years ago on the side of the highway at a market between petchaburn and pitsunalog. 30bart each. Hence the fact we bought 100.lol sorry not sure exactly where it was but u cant miss it . Famous last words. They had a few different types. Sorry i know thisll just piss u all off but its the best i can do. We were directed with these instructions and so we were on that highway and couldnt miss it . There are 100s of avocado seedlings there. Easy to see from the road as its in an avocado growing area

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app