LOST KEY ! AND THE SPARE DOESN'T WORK :(

kirstymelb101

I was out dining with some friends this evening for a birthday celebration and I unfortunately managed to lose my motorbike key. Somehow it managed to detach itself from the key ring. I have no clue how this came about because all the other keys are still on the key chain, only the motorbike key is missing. This has never happened to me before and I'm freaking out. It's a Honda Wave 100cc I think it's 10 years old. My questions is fairly simple and straight forward; how can I get a replacement key without the original or spare for copy? And how much will it cost?

Many thanks in advance!

Recently had the same issue with an older Honda Click. Someone lost the key and no spare existed anyways. Went to a local Castrol (correct name? the green ones) motorbike repair shop and got a new lock with 2 keys for 1k THB including labor.

• Like 1

If you really need to move it before you can get a new lock, then get a thin flat head screwdriver and a hammer. Hammer it into the lock and then turn it to start. If you are not confident of doing this yourself then a local repair shop should be able to do it for you. At least then you can move it and take it home or to your local Honda dealer.

• Like 1

If you really need to move it before you can get a new lock, then get a thin flat head screwdriver and a hammer. Hammer it into the lock and then turn it to start. If you are not confident of doing this yourself then a local repair shop should be able to do it for you. At least then you can move it and take it home or to your local Honda dealer.

oh! sorry I just read this comment now. I think that may be the case because I don't have or know any friends who own a pickup truck. At least I know know it's doable and I'm not the only one who has been in this situation before :)

The solution with the hammer is a good one since breaking your lock wont be an issue as you have to replace it anyways. Alternatively you can ask the repair shop to pick it up or come and fix it where it is parked right now. Many can do that, it wont be a big issue but might cost a bit more :)

happened to me as well.

baby of a relative of my gf threw it to the bottom of the rubbish bin so informed the shop down the road and they came and fixed a key for it within 30 minutes.

pity we found the key at the bottom of the rubbish bin later on! anyway two keys are better than one.

just tell them to come and do a new key.

Good to know that locksmiths can just create a new key on the spot for even cheaper than replacing the lock. How much did you guys pay for this JohnnyF and ll2?

BTW with a big bike this wont work, I had an issue with the lock of my CBR500R which has the honda electronic lock system and it took 2-3 weeks to fix it at Honda Bigwing Phuket and they had to fly in an engineer from Bangkok...

my recommendation is for small bikes/scooters. I dont even remember what i paid so it was most probably very less. i know the mechanic though for some time. for small things, he does not even charge me.

you cannot just call the key guys for a big bike that has HISS or any immobilizer of course. You definitely need a truck for these type of cases but Bigwing has Mondial Roadside Assistance. call them and they come and pick your bike and drive it to the nearest Bigwing for free.

Edited by ll2

Yea that's what they did (pick up and bring to Bigwing), just that Bigwing Phuket can't fix it themselves :)

I like the road side assistance from Honda even though it sometimes can take a long time. Had a flat tire once and it took 6h for the truck to come. Also I had to drive it up the ramp of the truck because the driver had apparently not much experience handling bikes. He also struggled a bit to apply the ropes properly. But better than having no road side assistance at all. Not sure if you get this kind of stuff with your insurance or from other dealers.

UPDATE!

The locksmith guy came and used some weird pick thing to calculate the clicks inside the lock , with this he was able to make a replica key only using a mini saw cutting edges to fit inside the hole. The whole thing took only three minutes and costed 150bht. I might add the bike is fairly old !! knowing how easy it was to start without a key I should take better care of it when I'm out :)

• Like 1

UPDATE!

The locksmith guy came and used some weird pick thing to calculate the clicks inside the lock , with this he was able to make a replica key only using a mini saw cutting edges to fit inside the hole. The whole thing took only three minutes and costed 150bht. I might add the bike is fairly old !! knowing how easy it was to start without a key I should take better care of it when I'm out smile.png

Good news and good to know.