"Pastrami On Rye" Deli Sandwiches - Jomtien -

EddieHaskel

Amazing; I was just saying to one of my friends, only the other day; that I had a real craving for a REAL Reuben Sandwich. I have tried some in the larger hotels here & there, over the years, but nothing came close to what they understand a Reuben Sandwich to be in North America . . . . . . .until (obviously) I just read your Post here.

I am extremely grateful for your Post and I will high-tail it down there today to satisfy this yearlong craving of mine ! ! !

THANKS

clap2.gif

Please report back on your findings! Having lived in NYC for some time, I do miss a real reuben. Carnegie's was a regular visit for me. Here's a pic of one of their's. I could feel my colon shudder when I walked in the door! 555555

Will do; probably going there as soon as today; will let you know (my mouth's watering as we speak !)

Amazing; I was just saying to one of my friends, only the other day; that I had a real craving for a REAL Reuben Sandwich. I have tried some in the larger hotels here & there, over the years, but nothing came close to what they understand a Reuben Sandwich to be in North America . . . . . . .until (obviously) I just read your Post here.

I am extremely grateful for your Post and I will high-tail it down there today to satisfy this yearlong craving of mine ! ! !

THANKS

clap2.gif

Please report back on your findings! Having lived in NYC for some time, I do miss a real reuben. Carnegie's was a regular visit for me. Here's a pic of one of their's. I could feel my colon shudder when I walked in the door! 555555

Well; I just came back from one of the best lunches ever in my 22+ years in Thailand.

A real Reuben Sandwich; heaped with everything that's super delicious ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I will certainly be going back there again soon: there are so many other things to try out there: fantastic ! ! ! ! !

thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

THANKS

clap2.gif

Well; I just came back from one of the best lunches ever in my 22+ years in Thailand.

A real Reuben Sandwich; heaped with everything that's super delicious ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I will certainly be going back there again soon: there are so many other things to try out there: fantastic ! ! ! ! !

thumbsup.gif

Great, but where did you eat at? Prior to this, a poster started talking about "Rich Man Poor Man." Did you eat there or the place this thread is about? Thanks.

I'm just tucking in to a Reuben sandwich - stopped off at the shop 30 mins ago. I've never eaten a Reuben before, so I have no point of reference with which to compare it. But if this is how they make sandwiches in New York, then I take back every negative thing I have said about New Yorkers in the past. This is divine. I just might pay the place a visit and freeload off my old mate Jim Ekardt. Potato salad is fine as well - just the right amount of sweetness, not cloying like some. If that was John I spoke to when I was there, well, thanks mate - nice to know you deliver to the darkside.

Just one complaint - please dont use staples to close the salad container. Cellotape them shut.

Just ate 1/2 a reuben..

Bottom line, It was worth the price and the trip. I will definitely be back or I will order either way they are worth checking out if you like corned beef or pastrami.

Is it what I remember having grown up in NYC unfortunately no.

The meat was great. No 2 ways about it.

New York style deli cole slaw is sweeter and doesn't have mustard or anything that would give it a yellow tint. I couldn't taste the sour kraut on the sandwich and the sauce was just different. It reminded me of a rose sauce that is sometimes put on shrimp cocktails here. Overall not a bad lunch, However still not NYC standards. I will give it a go next week for the pastrami. Have to see how that works haha

Just ate 1/2 a reuben..

Bottom line, It was worth the price and the trip. I will definitely be back or I will order either way they are worth checking out if you like corned beef or pastrami.

Is it what I remember having grown up in NYC unfortunately no.

The meat was great. No 2 ways about it.

New York style deli cole slaw is sweeter and doesn't have mustard or anything that would give it a yellow tint. I couldn't taste the sour kraut on the sandwich and the sauce was just different. It reminded me of a rose sauce that is sometimes put on shrimp cocktails here. Overall not a bad lunch, However still not NYC standards. I will give it a go next week for the pastrami. Have to see how that works haha

Good critique. However I think we have "beat the horse to death" already on TVF not to expect the food here as good as one can get back home. I'v never great Mexican food outside southern California, I'v never had great real mexican food outside of mexico, I'v never had great chicago pizza outside chicago etc.

Their corned beef is good but I think their pastrami is better.

The meat is the thing and they've got the real deal meat. Purists like me only want corned beef or pastrami on rye with deli mustard. Not that extra frou frou stuff that just mucks it up.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

What is the sandwich that's illustrated on the menu, please?

That should be the Pastrami on Rye.

Thanks for the reply, Chwooly. However, I purchased a pastrami on rye there yesterday and, although it was good, it didn't look anything like that, so I'm sure that the photo on their menu isn't pastrami on rye. Unfortunately I'm an innocent Englishman and ignorant on American delicacies, so does anyone else have an idea? The photo looks delicious and I'd like to try. regards.

You ought to have a look on their facebook page, lots of photo's of stuff, some of which looks more like surgical waste than food. There must be an art to photographing food, as yet not found there.

I agree that looked nothing like pastrami on rye.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The image in question might be a very bad and distorted image of their delicious pulled pork (one of my favorites there).

Here is a picture of another sandwich they serve that I love:

post-110622-0-78498800-1415361722_thumb.

That is sliced rib-eye steak, grilled mushrooms and onions, mushroom sauce and swiss cheese. It is delicious.

And here is their popular Reuben (very good):

post-110622-0-33845200-1415361811_thumb.

If there is a better place for these types of sandwiches in Asia, I am not aware of it.

Thanks for the reply, Chwooly. However, I purchased a pastrami on rye there yesterday and, although it was good, it didn't look anything like that, so I'm sure that the photo on their menu isn't pastrami on rye. Unfortunately I'm an innocent Englishman and ignorant on American delicacies, so does anyone else have an idea? The photo looks delicious and I'd like to try. regards.

Never saw pulled pork with mustard.

The 2 links are of pictures of Pastrami on Rye from other websites.

I stand by my original statement, That is what a pastrami on rye should look like.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/108649409731370066/

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/nov/03/brisket-salt-beef-pastrami-deli

I stand by my original statement, That is what a pastrami on rye should look like.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/nov/03/brisket-salt-beef-pastrami-deli

As I stated, that is probably a very bad image of their pulled pork sandwich. If I had a recent picture of their pulled pork sandwich, I would post it here. Their pulled pork is one of their best sandwiches. Back to the image: It looks like somebody ordered a pulled pork with melted American cheese. They make sandwiches to order (the customer is always right). Believe it or not, mustard-based vinegar sauces are used on pulled pork in several southern States of the USA, but not in Texas where the sauce is tomato based. Maybe try the place and make up your mind based on what is put on the plate in front of you. If you want pulled pork and do not want a mustard-based vinegar sauce (or melted cheese), tell them beforehand.

• Like 1

As I stated, that is probably a very bad image of their pulled pork sandwich. If I had a recent picture of their pulled pork sandwich, I would post it here. Their pulled pork is one of their best sandwiches. Back to the image: It looks like somebody ordered a pulled pork with melted American cheese. They make sandwiches to order (the customer is always right). Believe it or not, mustard-based vinegar sauces are used on pulled pork in several southern States of the USA, but not in Texas where the sauce is tomato based. Maybe try the place and make up your mind based on what is put on the plate in front of you. If you want pulled pork and do not want a mustard-based vinegar sauce (or melted cheese), tell them beforehand.

Before some <deleted> chimes in on "pulled pork" here, it is a tradition from New York to Argentina, to cook pork so tender, that it can be "pulled" apart with a couple forks, as opposed to slicing it.

Usually made from the pork collar meat (aka Boston Butt).

It can be smoked, baked or done in a slow-cooker pot.

Any which way is pretty tasty. I just cooked one last night in the oven.

Glad to hear about this place in Jomtien. MMMMMMM....Pastrami...

I once tried a grilled ham & cheese at the restaurant in Villa supermarket. How someone can make a BAD grilled ham & cheese is beyond me, aside from burning it.

It was inedible though. Finding a good sandwich shop around Pattaya is a true gem.

Before some <deleted> chimes in on "pulled pork" here, it is a tradition from New York to Argentina, to cook pork so tender, that it can be "pulled" apart with a couple forks, as opposed to slicing it.

Usually made from the pork collar meat (aka Boston Butt).

It can be smoked, baked or done in a slow-cooker pot.

Any which way is pretty tasty. I just cooked one last night in the oven.

Glad to hear about this place in Jomtien. MMMMMMM....Pastrami...

I once tried a grilled ham & cheese at the restaurant in Villa supermarket. How someone can make a BAD grilled ham & cheese is beyond me, aside from burning it.

It was inedible though. Finding a good sandwich shop around Pattaya is a true gem.

From Awohalitsiktoli to Jaywalker: The above statement, starting with "thanks for the reply..." attributed to me is a mistake. I did not say that!

I did say this: "As I stated, that is probably a very bad image of their pulled pork sandwich. If I had a recent picture of their pulled pork sandwich, I would post it here. Their pulled pork is one of their best sandwiches. Back to the image: It looks like somebody ordered a pulled pork with melted American cheese. They make sandwiches to order (the customer is always right). Believe it or not, mustard-based vinegar sauces are used on pulled pork in several southern States of the USA, but not in Texas where the sauce is tomato based. Maybe try the place and make up your mind based on what is put on the plate in front of you. If you want pulled pork and do not want a mustard-based vinegar sauce (or melted cheese), tell them beforehand."

I was talking about a picture that another poster put up on this thread and not about the picture at the top of their website, which shows a pastrami on rye.

The sandwiches are great. I wonder if they are still making pizza.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This has now come full circle, So please Bahtboy, EXACTLY what photo are you talking about????? I have their printed menu, There is no photo on it. the only photo I am aware of is in fact the Pastrami on Rye that is on their website. I am quite familiar with pastrami on rye and even though people will attempt to say it is pulled pork, I stand by my original answer to your original question, The sandwich on the menu is pastrami on rye.

Edited by Chwooly