Help with Bamboo Plants

Last Thursday, I had 24 x Bamboo plants planted in my garden. The guy doing the work seemed very knowledgeable and came over as a decent bloke. I gave these, and the various other new additions to my garden a watering on Friday afternoon, just prior to setting off for 03 nights in Bangkok. I returned on Monday afternoon to 24 dry, dead / dying horrors! It truly looked like I had neglected them for weeks on end. I know Korat had a little rain on both Sat + Sun while I was away.

Does anyone have any knowledge / experience of Bamboo plants? I really would find it hard to believe they are anything but well and truly dead and I can't imagine they will in any way come back. The guy who did the work has "go away for Loy Krathong" without his 'phone, which worries me somewhat. Having paid 24 x 200 baht I am truly disappointed as you can imagine.

Anyone feel there is any hope?

post-144288-0-06126700-1415086075_thumb.

post-144288-0-31291300-1415086147_thumb.

Did you watch them get planted ? May sound obvious but did they have a root system on them and not just bamboo stakes that he stuck into the soil because that is what it looks like. Pull one up and have a look. If it has a root system or a runner system then keep them watered and they may shoot. Do not fertilise at this stage .

Agree with Xen, ^ .... but those are very small planter boxes, it's going to be a struggle keeping them watered in the future, assuming they pick up again.... which they might... but they will need water at least once if not twice a day, especially in the early stages... even just wetting down the foliage while the roots take hold (same with any transplanted plants, really) .... If no rain!

Personally I would not plant bamboo period, they are a maintenance nightmare...needing constant trimming, there are many other nicer plants which are easy to grow, although I think the planters are too small for just about any plants over time ....whistling.gifwink.png

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

agree with Jimmy - I have just had cut down a huge bamboo hedge that was impossible to keep trimmed, dropped dry leaves all over the place, nothing else would grow beside it. Very hard to get rid of - more than 6 weeks since almost all the roots were dug out but still getting some fresh shoots coming up.

Also agree that those planter boxes look very small and hard to keep moist.

If they have decent roots they should regrow. I had a bamboo nursery in Europe and I would never have planted bamboos in such small boxes. From my point of view you have been DONE. Believe me you don't want bamboo in a small garden.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app