Thai woman almost eaten by python from her toilet

webfact

"Samkok district officer Metha Taweekunchai said he’ll order his officers to capture the snake in Rampeung's toilet, so the family can resume using it"

Well that'll be a relief for everyone concerned.

To be honest I didn't think pythons had fangs. Don't they just wrap themselves around their prey and constrict until it's dead?

They have about a hundred sharp teeth that face backward down its throat. They hold you with these until the coils get a good grip on you. Actually there is NO accurate report of any human adult being eaten by any constrictor.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raise your hand here if you've ever been bitten by a snake! I'll start... I'm start with a nasty one. Cotton Mouth Water Moccasin struck my left foot near a lake in North Carolina. I thought I was going to die, but only one fang hit and it went completely through the left side my lower Ieft toe. I was damned lucky.

Three times in 3 months.... working survey at Castaic dam in California. Western Diamondback. For what it's worth, rattlesnakes only rattle when they have time, surprise them and they strike.

This is about constrictors so why are you writing about rattlesnakes ???

That's scarier than Ebola! Got my attention for sure.

You wouldn't want to be squatting over the bogger when that snake appeared at ur butt cheeks, would you?

In Aust all we have to worry about is red back spiders
I wouldn't be too sure of that...

"A BRISBANE snake catcher says he is not surprised a snake took over a suburban toilet this week as he has seen a significant increase in this behaviour".

post-73341-0-56062200-1415163999_thumb.j

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/east/toilet-snake-appearances-are-on-the-up-according-to-a-brisbane-snake-catcher/story-fni9r0lo-1226799210253?nk=76d921d3d39dafab198dd78787d0b691

Raise your hand here if you've ever been bitten by a snake! I'll start... I'm start with a nasty one. Cotton Mouth Water Moccasin struck my left foot near a lake in North Carolina. I thought I was going to die, but only one fang hit and it went completely through the left side my lower Ieft toe. I was damned lucky.

Three times in 3 months.... working survey at Castaic dam in California. Western Diamondback. For what it's worth, rattlesnakes only rattle when they have time, surprise them and they strike.

This is about constrictors so why are you writing about rattlesnakes ???

I was answering the question by Local Drunk!

Any more questions? ;);)

A toilet is usually 4 inch drainpipe here and probably a squat toilet. That could handle a very large snake. Snakes do chase rats up the pipes. I recall a school in Phetkasem several years back that had a Pit Viper crawl up through the sewer pipes to the 4th floor and out through the toilet.

Perhaps she has a hole in the ground?

I don't understand your comment. I don't know where you live but seeing and encountering snakes is almost a daily occurrence here. A mate of mine had a young Cobra visited his car port on a regular basis. He lives in a walled estate.

I live in Phathumthani - just 15km from Samkhok - in a walled estate, and have been visited by three cobras over the past three years. The last one, over five foot in length, was lying underneath the patio door curtains, thought item was a scarf, went to pick it up and it slithered under the music unit! Took three burly workers to removed it - for the cook pot!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Samkok district officer Metha Taweekunchai said he’ll order his officers to capture the snake in Rampeung's toilet, so the family can resume using it"

To be honest I didn't think pythons had fangs. Don't they just wrap themselves around their prey and constrict until it's dead?

No 'fangs' as such but teeth and big enough to do serious damage. There was a similar instance in India a few years back when one came up out of a squat toilet and wrapped it's self around a lady's arm and leg so she couldn't move. There was a photo of firefighters trying to pry it off her. I have had that in mind ever since when squatting with my ball dangling

above the bowl.

• Like 1

That's scarier than Ebola! Got my attention for sure.

You wouldn't want to be squatting over the bogger when that snake appeared at ur butt cheeks, would you?

In Aust all we have to worry about is red back spiders

I don't agree with you chooka in WA we had 8 people bitten in the past 2 weeks one person died

because he did not seek medical attention soon enough

8 people bitten on toilet in W.A by pythons in two weeks? Remind me not to take a dump in Western Australia. Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

A snake coming out of the toilet really never crossed my mind before, but one day, the maid was cleaning one of our bathrooms and my wife heard a scream, so of course she runs over to the bathroom and finds a large snake on the bathroom floor while the maid is attempting to squeeze through a small window to escape the snake. I asked my wife...did she have the window open prior to this happening...her reply was NO. I asked, was the screen on the water drainage on or off...her reply ON. I asked, was the bathroom door open...NO. The toilet seat...YES. Well, since then I freaking hate going to any of our toilets, but it's a necessity. I do find myself opening the lid and then the seat just to make sure there isn't a snake within the grooves between the seat and the lid...I flush the toilet once and sit, but look into the toilet often as I don't want any surprises.

How safe do you feel when going to your toilet?

You're correct, a python doesn't have fangs but it does have some 70 or so teeth

Any snake experts on here can identify whether this is a Regal Python in the Coconuts picture?

No expert but try this site http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_common.html

There are only 2 pythons in TL the reticulated python (which the one in the pix isn't, seen one) and the Burmese Python which it possibly could be with the colors tricked up.

Other than that the photo bears no relation to the story.

There is a third python in Thailand's south called a Blood Python it is much smaller than the Retic and Burmese. The photo on Coconuts is a Brazilian Rainbow Boa I used to captive breed them many years ago. It is a small boa that couldn't eat a rabbit let alone a human. They are very common among reptile keepers.

Gee, when I was very young I saw JAWS and I was scared shitless of swimming. Now this! I'll refuse being shitless in my own toilet. Now I'm looking past my jewelries monitoring the water level in the bowl. Slightest movement and I'm out of there with my shorts around my ankles! Geeees!

Ok, here's the thing, a python big enough to eat her wouldn't have been able to hide in the toilet! Hence the almost eaten part is a blatant attempt at attracting attention. My guess is the snake felt threatened and attacked her and that was it.

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

Gee, when I was very young I saw JAWS and I was scared shitless of swimming. Now this! I'll refuse being shitless in my own toilet. Now I'm looking past my jewelries monitoring the water level in the bowl. Slightest movement and I'm out of there with my shorts around my ankles! Geeees!

Well come on, let's look at it from the python's perspective. How would you feel if you found a tight smooth place to reside, and every so often a large fleshy beast with a little brown mouth spit turds into you home. It might make you a bit ornery also.
  • Like 2

I have always been a little nervous about this. Maybe I am not as paranoid as I thought.

U.G., maybe you're not nearly as paranoid as you need to be blink.png

Check these out.

post-39302-0-53241200-1415196272_thumb.j

post-39302-0-36614900-1415196220_thumb.j

post-39302-0-36614900-1415196220_thumb.j

Oops, sorry about the double.

post-39302-0-19958500-1415196311_thumb.j

Edited by Dap

I have always been a little nervous about this. Maybe I am not as paranoid as I thought.

U.G., maybe you're not nearly as paranoid as you need to be blink.png

Check these out.

attachicon.gifGetAttachmentCAF5V0PY copy.jpg

attachicon.gifGetAttachmentCAZEME1H copy.jpg

attachicon.gifGetAttachmentCAZEME1H copy.jpg

Oops, sorry about the double.

That's a bit scary and why you should always keep your toilet clean with some bleach in it!

And check before you sit down :-)

Not fangs as in poisonous fangs for injecting venom. But the snake has to have some way of ingesting its prey once constricted to death. The fangish looking teeth are for latching onto the prey and pulling it inside (they can sort of unhinge their jaws so as to be able to swallow prey bigger than they themselves are!). But I guess they'll bite; they just don't kill that way. At least that's how I understand it. I've seen documentary videos of the process. These things started getting to be a big problem in Florida a few years ago. People would buy little ones as pets, and then just release them when they got to be too big to manage; and then they were able to compete rather well in the wild there.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/07/21/invasive-pythons-threaten-florida-everglades

“The Burmese pythons are unique in that they’re an apex predator species,” meaning they are at the top of the heap, with no natural predators of their own. “They’re eating deer ... They’re eating wood storks. They’re devastating the raccoons and rabbits.”

The snake may well have taken a tooth hold on her hand.... but it's highly unlikely, without full body constriction, it could have taken her down the latrine.

In addition, how did Khun Rampeung know there was a snake's nest in her loo?

Sounds a bit out of the ordinary to me.

Sounds a fangtastical story to me.........rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Not fangs as poisonous snakes have, but certainly teeth. They use them to pull the prey into their mouths, or rather pull their bodies over the prey.

They aren't poisonous, but can inflict a nasty bite and frequently the wound doesn't heal easily.

As pacov146 says in post #106, the headline was to get attention. A snake big enough to consume a person would fill the whole bowl and be hanging over the sides.

$hit thing to happen! OK, OK, I know it was a bad joke.

Edited by F4UCorsair
  • Like 1