• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

they say 60'000 $ and how about ... cheesy.gif

Thailand: Import and Export of Currencies

Import: You are allowed to import any currency in any amount to Thailand – including the Thai Baht! If you take foreign currency in value of more than US $ 10.000 US $ into Thailand an import declaration at the customs at arrival is recommended in your own interest. Otherwise you may run into problems if you take the amount out of Thailand again – see below.

Export: In case you export foreign currencies in value of more than US $ 10.000 US you have to proove the former import of the money at the immigration. In case you get searched – which is rather rare for tourists – the customs could confiscate your money as a provision against money laundering, etc. The export of Thai Baht is restricted to 50.000 Baht (about 1250 Euro or 1500 US $) per person. You are however allowed to export up to 500.000 Baht to Thailands neighbouring countries of Malaysia, Camboscha, Vietnam, Laos and Myanmar.

You beat me to it...

The cynical in me says "when the going get tough bring on an honest cab driver story, good for deflection". On the other hand, he might just be a good chap.

Why is there always someone trying to find some sort of conspiracy in these news reports?

Edited by runningfree73

I find this very hard to believe............

Can anyone really imagine many people, let alone a taxi driver, turn over Thb 2 million to the police?...........c'mon BP.......us elnglish news readers are only 1/2 stupid!

All these "returning money" tales from taxi drivers.....makes me think that TAT is involved??.....the minister is silly enough to go this way!

Oh no! Not another conspiracy theory!

Notice the "equivalent": of 2,000,000 baht. Does this mean a foreign currency or perhaps travelers checks? The latter would perhaps help account for the honesty

When I moved to Thailand I came with a lot of money in TCs once and tried to declare them. The customs agent waved me through since I had very little cash. Who goes on vacation with $60,000 in any kind of cash or TCs?

The cynical in me says "when the going get tough bring on an honest cab driver story, good for deflection". On the other hand, he might just be a good chap.

"Might be a good chap".Some of you blokes need a attitude re-ajustment.Just for the record,would you hand it back?

mmmmm . . . find 2,000,000 THB, returns it to owners and gets 5,000 THB "reward" . . . I wonder if he'll bother next time . . . ?

It's great that he's honest and fair, but honestly, those "tourists" are taking the piss with that reward!

Can I say a couple of things. Firstly, I have met many good taxi drivers in Bangkok. Also met some shonks as well. I believe in this case the guy is a genuine buddhist who believes in karma. Also these days with all of the photo i.d. etc... in the car he may have figured that it was better to try for a reward and get something than to be chased down by the cops and lose it all to them.

As to the 5000 reward I think that we must remember that these are Indonesians and the sum total may have been their life savings and they were in Thailand to do business (even drug business) 5000 would represent a lot to them.

You're overthinking it.

They were picked up at the airport, the airport has a record of which driver picker them up. Photo, ID, number plate, phone numbers, they have the lot. So it's hard to claim (for example) "It wasn't me, guv" if he had decided to not hand it in.

And sorry, no . . . I don't agree one little bit with your Indonesian 5k argument. Aside from the illegality of actually bringing IN that amount of cash, there are much simpler legal options to transfer large sums of cash into the country if they needed it here for whatever reason.

It's not illegal to bring in that amount of cash,if you declare it.If you want to transfer other ways,you lose out big time to the banks.I always do it the Indo way,but it's stuck to my body,no black bag for me.

mmmmm . . . find 2,000,000 THB, returns it to owners and gets 5,000 THB "reward" . . . I wonder if he'll bother next time . . . ?

It's great that he's honest and fair, but honestly, those "tourists" are taking the piss with that reward!

Absolutely spot on Tatsujin! A minimum reward for his honesty should have been B50,000.

Cheap bastards.

I wonder if they declared that at Customs. Sounds a lot for a holiday nest-egg for Indonesians. Hmmmm All sorts of things spring to mind.

You should get out more.Thousands of Indos have more money than you can shake a stick at.Leave your mind at rest,where it's at its best.

I exited Thailand a few days ago at FB3 (Nakhom Phanom) and saw a sign claiming amounts OVER 2 million baht need to be declared, so that amount seems to be precisely the amount they can import.

Speaking of honest taxi drivers, last year I took a cab to DMK and the cabdriver asked me to call the owner of the phone he found (a japanese). I was able to talk to him and found out his hotel, which was on our route, so we dropped the phone at his hotel.

Edited by sjaak327

While the cab driver makes me happy by his goodness the Indonesian guys make me angry as hell. In my country there's a ppls law (it might even be a real law, I'm not sure) that finders fee is at least 10% of the sum. Greedy bastards!

What seems to be missing from story how did Indo get about 60,000 USD pass customs without proper paperwork? They did arrive to Swampy. and 5,000 baht tip get real This Quality tourist or tightwad. In my books 10% would have been correct tip. Or close to 200,000 baht.

Edited by Strangebrew

I exited Thailand a few days ago at FB3 (Nakhom Phanom) and saw a sign claiming amounts OVER 2 million baht need to be declared, so that amount seems to be precisely the amount they can import.

Strange as both the Thailand customs department and the Thai Law Forum site state over $20,000 USD or its equivalent must be declared. Maybe that was a special Indonesian line. wink.png

Customs

Thai Law Forum

1.. It is not your business to question the source of money brought in from tourists (whatever country they come from)

2. I'm German. After my laws, the rewards for finding someone' s property and returning it back to the owner is

5 pct for the first 500 EUR, and 3 pct of the exceeding sum. Maybe different in other countries.

Anyway, at least 60,000 THB in this case.

3. Again, it is not your business to question the taxi driver's motivation. He is an honest person whether monitored by CCTV or not.

Strange as both the Thailand customs department and the Thai Law Forum site state over $20,000 USD or its equivalent must be declared. Maybe that was a special Indonesian line. wink.png

Customs

Thai Law Forum

A special indonesian line at Nakhom Phanom ? unlikely that border crossing is used by Thais, Laotians and Vietnamese mainly.

I am sure the sign said 2 million baht.

To the poster asking how we were able to contact the owner of the phone, no idea the cab driver called and I spoke with a guy and that guy gave me the actual owner, I am guessing the cab driver simply redialled the last called number and that one happened to be someone the owner was travelling with.

But now the police and customs are going to be all over this one......with Indonesians arriving through the airport with $60,000 in undeclared cash?

Does the article say that the cash was undeclared?

No, but they were tourists right, so even with declared cash it is often held and processed, in quantities such as this for collection later once all the paperwork has been checked and fee's paid. Especially coming in as a tourist.

It is very unusual these days for people to travel through an airport with huge quantities of cash unless they have reasons to avoid banks and scrutiny.

Yes, well if you get a phone call from the airport saying his passengers were looking for the bag, then you would most certainly hand it in, otherwise the police would be all over him. The question is would he have done this himself if he had found the bag and there had been no phone call???