laptop recommendations - under 2kg less than 18,000 baht

crabstix

I am looking for a laptop which won't break the bank but weighs under 2kg with the battery. I have a budget of 18,000 baht and want something which won't be super slow. I use my laptop for powerpoint, watching movies, general surfing and for basic sound editing. Any recommendations?

At 18,000 baht you're mostly going to be looking at a 14" screen, so maybe just over 2kg. Intel Core i5 with 4GB RAM 500GB hard disk would suit you however you may need to stretch another thousand or so. If you want to get much lighter than 2kg then you find more available if you look at 13" models however ones with decent speed are likely to be 20,000 baht plus. I have a small and light 11.6 laptop but it's not what I would call fast. Keep in mind that under 20k means genuine Windows may not be included in the price...

My solution: Acer ES1 with 11.6" screen with Pentium Quad Core N3540 (Mine's a N3530, but they've moved on). CPU benchmarks around 2,000, which isn't blistering, but respectable. (Noticed that the I3 and I5 CPUs in the new Acer Switch 11 don't benchmark above 2500, and at 26,000-29,000 baht).

Best thing: 9990 baht and comes with Win 8.1SL (Genuine, OEM, single language version)

Then I bopped over and dumped 2,950 baht to get an 8 gig RAM chip to replace the inadequate 2 gig it came with. Weighs in at 1.3 or 1.4 kg and fits anywhere. I've been using it about a month and I'm pleased with it as a portable. When I'm at home, I plug it into a 24": or 32" HDMI monitor at full HD, depending on whether I'm working in my bedroom or living room.

My previous netbook was a similar form Acer Aspire 1 11.6" that has held up for 3 years, but has an obsolete AMD CPU that benchmarks at 450. I still use that one for watching movies and it still works great.

All over at Fortune Town and the ComMart show this weekend.

Edited by impulse

I'd prefer to buy a DELL.

The DELLs that are made in North China, or the DELLs that are made in South China?

Edit: I typed this on a DELL, BTW. Given to me for work.

From a quality standpoint as long as the laptop is made to high standards like using western quality/manufacturing standards it doesn't really matter where the laptops are made from a reliability standpoint. I have a couple of Toshiba laptops made in China 8 years ago and they are still humming along.

• Like 1

My solution: Acer ES1 with 11.6" screen with Pentium Quad Core N3540 (Mine's a N3530, but they've moved on). CPU benchmarks around 2,000, which isn't blistering, but respectable. (Noticed that the I3 and I5 CPUs in the new Acer Switch 11 don't benchmark above 2500, and at 26,000-29,000 baht).

Best thing: 9990 baht and comes with Win 8.1SL (Genuine, OEM, single language version)

Then I bopped over and dumped 2,950 baht to get an 8 gig RAM chip to replace the inadequate 2 gig it came with. Weighs in at 1.3 or 1.4 kg and fits anywhere. I've been using it about a month and I'm pleased with it as a portable. When I'm at home, I plug it into a 24": or 32" HDMI monitor at full HD, depending on whether I'm working in my bedroom or living room.

My previous netbook was a similar form Acer Aspire 1 11.6" that has held up for 3 years, but has an obsolete AMD CPU that benchmarks at 450. I still use that one for watching movies and it still works great.

All over at Fortune Town and the ComMart show this weekend.

Sure pop for the 8Gb RAM which is only available as standard here at silly prices.

Edited by Bpuumike

I've been comparing the above mentioned Asus with an Acer Switch 10.... http://winsupersite.com/mobile/acer-aspire-switch-10-first-impressions and last weekend stumbled on an Asus shop next door to an Acer shop.

Had a quick play with the Asus before heading next door to play with the Acer. I found the build quality of the Acer far superior, so I'm 'almost' ready to take the plunge.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has bought either the Asus or the Acer to find out what experiences you have had.