Help. I need a phone with a louder volume.

WhamBam

I am finding my hearing is not so good now. The phone I use has low speaker volume and is difficult to hear, even on max volume. A very dull sound. I can use hands free, but that means everyone else can hear the other person speaking.

Headphones have very little volume either. One set I tried that has a button to increase the volume cuts out the phone call when the button is pressed to increase volume.

My question is what phone(s) have good built in speakers with a decent volume?

Or are there headphones that can increase volume or some other way to enjoy using a mobile again?

I have tried some phones down at Tukom but not found anything suitable.

Edit to say I had a Nokia classic (think it was a 3120 or similar and that worked great) but now not available sad.png

Suggestions would be very helpful smile.png

Thanks

Edited by WhamBam

My hearing is good but you can buy real headphones with a conversion cable. I use it at times when i talk with clients. The sound is better and louder as the mobile. I am talking about computer headphones.

This is of course not useful in a setting outside the house as it looks funny.

What phone do you use now ? (would be useful to have an idea what's not working for you)

Currently an i-mobile hitz14

I tried Nokias, Samsung and others in the shop but the ear volumes were not good.

Different models at different prices.

I have edited my original post as the best I ever did have was a Nokia Classic 3120 ( not the model originally in my post) But I could not find one of these in Tukom or elsewhere :(

Another option, though I don't see them used much here in Asia, is a BlueTooth Earpiece/Headset.

Just look for a design that give you good volume. I'd suggest google searching "Bluetooth Earpiece Hearing" and see what they're recommending. Also add/include the word FORUM to that search to look for discussion groups.

Otherwise you'll need to look at the more expensive phones if you just want to hold the phone up to your ear.

Samsung phones can be loud, as I can hear both ends of other people's conversations on the train.

Another option, though I don't see them used much here in Asia, is a BlueTooth Earpiece/Headset.

Just look for a design that give you good volume. I'd suggest google searching "Bluetooth Earpiece Hearing" and see what they're recommending. Also add/include the word FORUM to that search to look for discussion groups.

Otherwise you'll need to look at the more expensive phones if you just want to hold the phone up to your ear.

Samsung phones can be loud, as I can hear both ends of other people's conversations on the train.

That is an option - Bluetooth.

I am a noob about Bluetooth....

If the phone rings and I want to answer it, is it easy to plug the bluetooth in your ear and simply talk or does it have to be always on / worn? I'd prefer, for example to keep the unit in my pocket along with the phone.

The bluetooth earpiece is designed to be always on and worn. The phone rings you touch the earpiece and the two connect as an example.

If you have both pieces in your pocket, by the time you get yourself sorted there is a good chance the caller would have rung off.

I suggest you go for a decent brand name phone, I have found all the Samsung models I have used to be loud if required. Go to a genuine Sansung booth or shop and try the items on display.

The other suggestion would be something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUE-MINI-PORTABLE-SPEAKER-3-5MM-JACK-MP3-PLAYER-MOBILE-PHONE-TABLET-/291205585947?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_AudioDocks_Speakers&hash=item43cd349c1b

• Like 1

Different models have different features.

Like you, I didn't want the thing on or even on my ear all the time. I specifically looked for a model that was compact, would 'flip open', turn itself on, connect to the phone, and answer the call -- all in one move. At the time the Motorola H720 did just that. Can't find that model now, and it's been a long time since I actually needed to look at earpieces/headsets.

h720_2__61856.jpg

• Like 1

The bluetooth earpiece is designed to be always on and worn. The phone rings you touch the earpiece and the two connect as an example.

If you have both pieces in your pocket, by the time you get yourself sorted there is a good chance the caller would have rung off.

I suggest you go for a decent brand name phone, I have found all the Samsung models I have used to be loud if required. Go to a genuine Sansung booth or shop and try the items on display.

The other suggestion would be something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLUE-MINI-PORTABLE-SPEAKER-3-5MM-JACK-MP3-PLAYER-MOBILE-PHONE-TABLET-/291205585947?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_AudioDocks_Speakers&hash=item43cd349c1b

Thanks.

THAT is a neat little gadget and bookmarked for future reference. It might well be adaptable for what I need.

It may be worth another trip to the phone sellers, especially Samsung and worth trying the volumes again.

My research on the internet for louder phones did reveal a few but with very limited extras and that put me off those I read about.

Different models have different features.

Like you, I didn't want the thing on or even on my ear all the time. I specifically looked for a model that was compact, would 'flip open', turn itself on, connect to the phone, and answer the call -- all in one move. At the time the Motorola H720 did just that. Can't find that model now, and it's been a long time since I actually needed to look at earpieces/headsets.

h720_2__61856.jpg

Thanks. I appreciate your input on this and it has helped me broaden the ideas and items to look for.

With you and Charlie mentioning models of phones, it may well be that I am better off going to a genuine dealer in my search.

My new Samsung I have to be right next to it to hear it even ringing and volume is highest it will go... as for hearing what is being said, err, err, what, say again..

Never had a problem with Ericsson [had many over the years], the last one on Hutch was very loud, cannot use for some years as Hutch is no more... just find it easier to use Line, don't have to bother straining to not hear what is being said or asked..

Please if you do find a loud phone tell us what make and model number, because I could not find one a few months ago

I used the Jawbone brand Bluetooth Ear piece for years and it worked GREAT... Several features ... ambient nose filter... filters out restaurant background noise as an example. I have a hearing deficit in my right ear - not severe but a problem ... The Jawbone device on my ear made life and work just grand because I had to be able to keep my hands free for work purposes.

It could be a hassle for some people to keep track of it ... but don't stuff it in your pants pocket.. devise a little light weight chain attachment with superglue and stick it in your shirt pocket - pull it out with the little chain attached to both ends .. or a short chain attached to your phone... use some imagination ...

I have also used the ear buds with microphone -- it works great -- but a bit cumbersome ... I suggest -- use one of these devices - develop some patience - answer the phone and say -- WAIT a minute please... learn in Thai also ... then use the Jawbone or the ear buds... The thing to learn is do not get into a flustered to answer the phone ... calmly answer it - by saying WAIT PLEASE and plug in the device - which ever you use.

I also have the same problem ( as do many people! ) I have tried so many apps that are designed to increase the volume and they do absolutely " bugger all " I took a stroll into Tuckom the other day and i asked some of the " technical guys " in there and they told me that many of the phones are now being made with a very low Max Volume as people have been damaging there ears! ( my volume on my phone goes up to 6 when really i need a min of at least 9 !!!! ) I don't make many calls and i most certainly don't wander about " gazing at the screen of my smartphone 24 hours a day " like many do ( i leave my phone at home! ) The only thing i can think of is " rooting the phone " and then maybe it will let you increase the volume? I used to have a small cheap Samsung Mobile basic for around 1000 baht ( you can still find them in the shops ) and with them you can have the volume " rather loud "

Farang Jaidee wai2.gif

Why not download a VERY loud song. Then use that as your ringtone. Prodigy songs work well :-D

PS : my Motorola Moto g is VERY loud

Yes very useful Mr Casual Biker....but I was referring to the " earpiece volume "(callers voice) not the ringtone! "Prodigy"? Yes I have heard them before - what a bloody noise!

F.J

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My new Samsung I have to be right next to it to hear it even ringing and volume is highest it will go... as for hearing what is being said, err, err, what, say again..

Never had a problem with Ericsson [had many over the years], the last one on Hutch was very loud, cannot use for some years as Hutch is no more... just find it easier to use Line, don't have to bother straining to not hear what is being said or asked..

Please if you do find a loud phone tell us what make and model number, because I could not find one a few months ago

I also have the same problem ( as do many people! ) I have tried so many apps that are designed to increase the volume and they do absolutely " bugger all " I took a stroll into Tuckom the other day and i asked some of the " technical guys " in there and they told me that many of the phones are now being made with a very low Max Volume as people have been damaging there ears! ( my volume on my phone goes up to 6 when really i need a min of at least 9 !!!! ) I don't make many calls and i most certainly don't wander about " gazing at the screen of my smartphone 24 hours a day " like many do ( i leave my phone at home! ) The only thing i can think of is " rooting the phone " and then maybe it will let you increase the volume? I used to have a small cheap Samsung Mobile basic for around 1000 baht ( you can still find them in the shops ) and with them you can have the volume " rather loud "

Farang Jaidee wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

OK, what I did and what I opted for in the end and why.

I came up with the idea of trying my friends phones, with each of them using my phone and I using theirs to decide on earpiece volume and clarity.

Sat in an open air bar with some traffic and other people talking nearby to get an idea for hearing clarity and volume, instead of in a quiet room.

I tried Samsung, Acatel and Nokia.

It turns out that all 3 had good clarity on the earpiece attached to the phone. After some discussion and me phoning them over a couple of days from different locations I came to the conclusion my i-mobile had either developed a fault or simply was not good enough to use - because the speech kept breaking up and the speech was very indistinct. (The phone used to work great here in Thailand and back in the UK for maybe 2 years but now it was no longer good enough).

Next option was I needed a dual sim phone because I do need my UK sim for some contacts to get hold of me (those contacts I do not want to have my Thai number).

Next I looked up on the internet for similar models to those I had tried but with dual sim function.

I went to powerbuy first in Pattaya because they have some bargains at times.

Next I went to Tukom in Pattaya and searched all the stalls there - only looking at those that displayed prices.

Some time later I found one selling a Nokia Asha 501 at 2,000 Baht !!

The Asha 501 was on my list. I tried it by phoning a friend. Great clarity and with the + / - volume control on the side. No need at all to use the external speaker (which is available on screen if needed at the touch of a button.)

The ring volume is not great (as with many others I listened to).

The solution to that is downloading ringtones, as I have had to do before. My favourite is 'Super Alarm'. Everyone can hear it rolleyes.gif

I also got a new ringtone for messages that is also very loud. Named 'amazing simple beep'. A loud morse code type tone.

A third loud ringtone for the 2nd sim to differentiate who is calling. Named 'loud alarm clock'.

All 3 very annoying to others, I am afraid, but audible to me laugh.png

The added bonus of only 2,000 Baht for the Nokia is the functions. I have already learned how to use wifi, how to slow scroll the menu pages and apps selections. See, I downloaded the manual from the internet and read it in English (as the manual with the phone itself is in Thai only).

There. I made my choice and have a phone with great clarity, CHEAP, quite easy to use and has a quick button for external speaker if needed.

It may not be the best, the latest, the most fashionable phone but it does the job.

**note to others with hearing problems**

I have 60% hearing on that side I use for the phone - equating to a 40% loss of hearing.

• Like 1

I would just like to point out that i also have the same problem ( but my hearing is good ) but most phones being made today have much lower max volume levels than a few years ago! People were damaging there ears! so they have now made them ridiculously low!

The phone i used to use a few years ago you can still find on sale here in Thailand for around 1000 baht and the volume was very loud! I have attached a photo viewers!

Farang Jaidee

P.S Anybody that wanders around with " bluetooth or headphones " looks a bit of a plank ( it should be noted...) facepalm.gif

post-193254-0-88684000-1415882813_thumb.

• 2 months later...

Gotta love links to blocked sites.

Yes, I know they're not blocked for 'everybody'.

Blocked ?? when ? why ? I just followed the link yesterday posted on Facebook

How about this one http://www.hearingdirect.com/products/Amplified-Mobile-Phones/

shows a number of different phones from the page in the Daily Mail.. or is that Blocked for you as well ?