Calls To And From Usa

space cowboy

Looking for advice for the following:

Want a listed phone number in the states that clients can call from anywhere and have the call transferred to my mobile in Thailand.

A cheap way for my kids to call from US to my mobile in Thailand.

Dont want to use computers, only mobiles. Thanks for the help.

Similar problem myself; wanting to have a US-based phone number forward (at a cheap rate) to a Thai cell phone.

So far, the most attractive service I have found for my needs is Packet8.net. It is a VOIP phone system, and I can just set up forwards as needed. The sales pitch on this type of service makes it sound like you don't have the delay normally associated with VOIP call forwarding to international numbers. It also gives the option of using a VOIP phone when you have an internet connection (without computer), or of course using your computer.

If you get a forwarding service through the telcos, you will pay through the nose. They are still clinging to their old pricing models.

I'm supposed to sign up for a few lines for my company back in the US; should see soon how well it works.

Does Packet8 allow international call forwarding? I checked out Vonage, and as far as I could determine, they do not.

Maintaining a U.S. telephone presence seems easy, but getting calls forwarded in real-time is more challenging. Vonage, SkypeIn, even TMobile Pre-paid mobile service (with voice-mail) allow you to have a US-based telephone number, take voicemail and then set-up text/email for notification then call back.

I did find this SkypeIn utility...

http://www.skypejournal.com/blog/archives/..._-_skype_fo.php

I actually do this. I use a Packet8 VoIP account here. In between the Packet8 box and the phone, I put an SIP CPE FX200 Port Conveter(see info here: http://www.sipcpe.com/fx200.html). I set it to forward any calls from the Packet8 to a local number. After 4 rings to the Packet8, it opens my local TOT line and dials my cell phone number and acts as the go-between connecting the VoIP to local line. You can also call into that same local line from your cell phone. The FX200 answers, waits for a PIN code (that you determine, if you like) and then patches you through to the VoIP line. It's easier than it sounds...but I should mention the FX200 is a bit buggy. If you need any help, send me a PM.

I actually do this. I use a Packet8 VoIP account here. In between the Packet8 box and the phone, I put an SIP CPE FX200 Port Conveter(see info here: http://www.sipcpe.com/fx200.html). I set it to forward any calls from the Packet8 to a local number. After 4 rings to the Packet8, it opens my local TOT line and dials my cell phone number and acts as the go-between connecting the VoIP to local line. You can also call into that same local line from your cell phone. The FX200 answers, waits for a PIN code (that you determine, if you like) and then patches you through to the VoIP line. It's easier than it sounds...but I should mention the FX200 is a bit buggy. If you need any help, send me a PM.

Good solution; I didn't even think about terminating the VoIP call here in Thailand and then forwarding locally as required. In theory you could do the same with Vonage or even SkypeIn.

What happens if a connection cannot be established between the FX200 and your mobile? Does the call get dropped, returned to an auto-attendent/voicemail? How long does the re-connection take? What is the experience of the calling party (dead air, music on hold, greeting)?

edited to add: I wonder if you could do the same thing, all in a PC, using SkypIn and a modem?

Edited by lomatopo

I've been interested in this topic and have been looking around for options.

I did find this device...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/818a/

(there are other similar devices)

which, when coupled with a fixed-line, would allow you to have a SkypeIn number in the U.S., which callers would call as a local/domestic call, and which would terminate normally at your PC (with an always-on, broadband conenction, of course). With this device it sounds as though that in-coming VoIP call could be forwarded to any other mobile or fixed line here in Thailand, out over the fixed-line. And it sounds as though you could make a local call here in Thailand from your mobile, or fixed-line, back to your apartment/house's fixed-line and get patched out on Skype back to the U.S.?