Retirement Renewal Adventure...Jomtien Style

Tried a new bent on my retirement renewal in Jomtien today....went with all my paperwork at 3 pm. Picked-up Number 386 and saw that they were working on Number 356. 30 out seemed ok, so took a seat and after 30 minutes noticed that they were still on Number 386. Strange?? I ventured up to the desk and heard someone say, "Oh the number counter has been broken all afternoon." Geez, so like they should alert those waiting in line, eh? I jumped into the chair and they went through my paperwork in a jiffy. For some reason they wanted a copy of my rental agreement? No probs....had my document packet at hand, thank you very much. That was a first and this in my ninth renewal?? At any rate, done in 5 minutes and will go back tomorrow at 10 AM and pick up the goods. Bingo, Bango, Bungo! :-)

• Like 1

I have a retirement visa for the last 6 years, but want to visit friends in other parts of Europe for small holidays.

How do I do this with my retirement visa? Can someone please advise.....thanks

You can get a re entry permit that allows you to enter Thailand without getting another visa. You may have a single or multiple re entry permit., these are available from immigration. Will cost you though.

I have a retirement visa for the last 6 years, but want to visit friends in other parts of Europe for small holidays.

You can get a re entry permit that allows you to enter Thailand without getting another visa. You may have a single or multiple re entry permit., these are available from immigration. Will cost you though.

Another important point. The re entry permit has to be used within your retrement extension period. The re entry permit also gives you 90 day extension on your return, again providing this is within your extension period.

You cna apply for a re-entry permit at your local immigration office. You will need a pass photo and copy of passport.

Cost is 1,000 baht for a single and 3,800 for a multiple. They remain valid for the current permission to stay only. So you must return before your current permisison to stay ends. (Otherwise you have to apply for a new visa abroad).

When returning from abroad you fill in your re-entry permit number on the arrival card. Immigration will than stamp you in with the current permission to stay

Another important point. The re entry permit has to be used within your retrement extension period. The re entry permit also gives you 90 day extension on your return, again providing this is within your extension period.

A re-entry permit give you an entry up to the date your extension ends not a "90 day extension".

The re-entry permit does NOT give you any 90 day extension on entry. It gives you entry until the end of the 'permission to stay until' period, whether that is 3 days or 300 days.

You are confusing the 90 day report of your address with "an extension". Every time you stay in Thailand more than 90 days consecutively you are obliged to report your address to the immigration authorities. This is completely unrelated to your permission to stay, is not an extension, and does not have any effect on your permitted to stay period.

If you do not do your 90-day address report, the only effect it has is that you become guilty of failing to report your address, and you become liable to a fine of usually 2000B for not reporting your address. Not doing a 90-day report has no effect whatsoever on how long you are permitted to stay, which is already stamped in your passport and does not change!

Edited by partington

Too funny. I was there yesterday as well. Just after you, I had 390. I found a copy of the Bangkok Post, took a seat, and read the paper. About 45 minutes later, I noticed the numbers weren't moving, but also saw a lot of action near desk 6. So figured they'd run into problems or something. I then asked the front desk and they told me the number system was broken. Just that one. Ugh. They could have told me when I walked in!!!!! Jesus. Oh well, had a great read of the paper, cover to cover.

Took 5 minutes to do the renewal. Including having to run over for a copy of the bank books middle pages. They always come up with something new to copy. I wonder why....

See you there at 10am! 55555

Too funny. I was there yesterday as well. Just after you, I had 390. I found a copy of the Bangkok Post, took a seat, and read the paper. About 45 minutes later, I noticed the numbers weren't moving, but also saw a lot of action near desk 6. So figured they'd run into problems or something. I then asked the front desk and they told me the number system was broken. Just that one. Ugh. They could have told me when I walked in!!!!! Jesus. Oh well, had a great read of the paper, cover to cover.

Took 5 minutes to do the renewal. Including having to run over for a copy of the bank books middle pages. They always come up with something new to copy. I wonder why....

See you there at 10am! 55555

Yup, was back about 10:30 to do my multiple re-entry visa.....had number 671.....went through the paper screening and waited for my number...after about 15 minutes noticed the numbers not moving, so went over to the desk....the counter had stopped....ya think they could tell folks??? Not a chance....will skip my residence certificate for a few weeks, just in case. :-) Duh!