Shisha

colinthailand20005

Shisha is available all over that area, even road-side stalls on Suk between 3 and 7 set them

up late night. I am not sure about Dubai exactly as I haven't been down Soi 4 that far recently but if you are looking

for ME-type restaurants, then both Bamboo Bar and the new one across the street from it (front of Grace)

do shishas. And, of course, every place in Soi Arab.

Edited by The Dancer

Are they still there? I used to enjoy a Shisha on soi Arab, but I heard the military dictators banned them.

Definitely there. I don't smoke myself but am not aware there was ever a ban. Now even the street stalls set them up. And, of course, every ME restaurant in the vicinity.

Edited by The Dancer

Are they still there? I used to enjoy a Shisha on soi Arab, but I heard the military dictators banned them.

Definitely there. I don't smoke myself but am not aware there was ever a ban. Now even the street stalls set them up. And, of course, every ME restaurant in the vicinity.

You're very out of date. Illegal now.

It seems like I am getting mixed information some of you say have shisha and some say gone has someone seen recently?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It seems like I am getting mixed information some of you say have shisha and some say gone has someone seen recently?

Yeah, thats where I am too. I stopped going to soi 3 after the men with guns banned Shisha - a mint tea, hummus and pita bread and a shisha were the perfect end to an evening on the piss on Sukhumvit. Hugely enjoyable cultural collision. The two options are a) they have been closed down or B) the shisha joints have paid the appropriate 'fees' and that the junta have reappraised their position in the light of this.

The problem was caused as Thais found the sweet tobacco in Shisha irresistible and some started smoking it in huge quantities and became addicted. The government stepped in to 'ban' them as they are highly carcinogenic - my few puffs once a month were about as bad as inhaling the traffic fumes on Suk rd, but the locals were toking like there was no tomorrow.

You're very out of date. Illegal now.

Hmm, I have been so used to seeing them everywhere recently that I just assumed they were there. I might have missed a very recent ban as I don't look for them.

In any case, I will be down that way later tonight and update in the early hours.

• Like 1

Ok, I landed at Soi 3 around 2am and then walked down to Soi 7 for a beer on the street.

Dubai, the restaurant in the ground level of the Grace (I used to think Dubai was the name of the new incarnation of the erstwhile Turkish place on Soi 4 - maybe it is too) serves shishas in the closed room at the back. The report about the ban is correct, so nothing openly. Next, I crossed the street to the Bamboo bar and asked a wait gal. She pointed to one of the rooms at the back. I took her word for it and didn't check.

The walk down to the corner of Soi 7 didn't find a single shisha on the street, where there used to be quite a few. I didn't go into

the Soi Arab maze but I would guess that the open shisha ban means most restaurants won't have them.

I asked a street stall owner about the ban. Apparently, there's been a recent court order overturning the ban but shishas have

yet to come back openly. He thinks though it's just a matter of time because of what businesses in the area are losing, not

to mention how do you keep Arab guys happy without Russian hookers, kebabs and shishas.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Went to Dubai restaurant on Soi 4, asked for Shisha at about 2pm and was taken to the Indian nightclub at the back of the restaurant, it has gone up in price from about 250 baht to 400 baht.

Later in the evening went back and was taken inside to the area between the outside and the kitchen has about 10 tables and sofas.

Haven't look elsewhere yet but being an avid Shisha fan I will find out where else has it, I used to like going to Zaling on Soi 4 Ratchada and they had it, it was great having a DJ drinking whisky and smoking will see if they still have it.

• 4 months later...