Toyota Yaris

My wife has a 'G' model YARIS.

Can anyone tell me where the instrument dimmer switch is located? I don't have an English language handbook.

I will not be surprised - but very disappointed - if it does not have one. The binnacle lighting is too bright at night.

thanks

In the wrods of the girl at the Dairy Queen I was at the other week asking for a chilli cheese hot dog "No Hab"

Thanks terdsak, just as I thought. Maybe TOYOTA think the the centrally mounted binnacle would not be a distraction.

Many years ago, I rented a car from downtown AVIS and was given a Nissan RV Estate.

Within two days I found that iit did not have most basic features compared to contemporary models:

No rear seat belts and front belts non-retractable type.

No rear wiper

No wash/wipe

Single speed windshield wipers

The dimmest headlights on any car I have driven

No instrument dimmer

Driving at night in pouring rain on rural roads was a nightmare.

When I turned it in I handed the manager a critical letter expressing my disatisfaction that AVIS should be offering such low spec cars to their customers. It came as no surprise that I never recieved a response (although I'm sure they send one!) :o

Peter,

Have some 40 or 60% window film put on it you will be able to see the gauges fine without the glare at night. It will also keep the plastic from scratching when it gets cleaned. :o

Thanks sakeopete. That is my intended solution too.

Hey

According to the www.honda.co.uk website all the Jazz Models from the Basic 1.2 S to the 1.4 Sport have Adjustable Dash Illumination.

Looks like a nice little car, great fuel economy.

Just out of interest, which model Jazz are you looking at and how much will it be 'out the door' in Thailand ?

Regards

Peter

Hey

According to the www.honda.co.uk website all the Jazz Models from the Basic 1.2 S to the 1.4 Sport have Adjustable Dash Illumination.

Just out of interest, which model Jazz are you looking at and how much will it be 'out the door' in Thailand ?

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the input,

I'm still at the brochure stage, so I haven't started the on wheeling and dealing yet. I priced the Yaris at about 630,000 (Basic)....add another 100K or so for the 'G'. I think the Jazz comes in the same price range, but - in my opinion, has the better gearbox and engine and more room in the back.....and now I hear it's even got a dimmer control for the instument panel. Whooopee :o

Hey Geoff

The new spec. (2006) now comes with 15'' alloys as opposed to the previously 14'' steel rims.

By the way what does 'add 100,000 for the 'G' mean ?

I'm still amazed at how much more expensive vehicles are in Thailand compared to the UK and more than double the price of a comparative new model in the USA.

Have a great weekend.

Peter

Hey

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the input,

I'm still at the brochure stage, so I haven't started the on wheeling and dealing yet. I priced the Yaris at about 630,000 (Basic)....add another 100K or so for the 'G'. I think the Jazz comes in the same price range, but - in my opinion, has the better gearbox and engine and more room in the back.....and now I hear it's even got a dimmer control for the instument panel. Whooopee :o

I work in the UK but live in Thailand and was comparing the cost of the 4 door Yaris I bought my wife to that of the one in the UK . The result was the UK model was slightly higher and with less options. Imports on the other hand are crazy in price in Thailand due to the luxury tax.

Hey Geoff

The new spec. (2006) now comes with 15'' alloys as opposed to the previously 14'' steel rims.

I'm still amazed at how much more expensive vehicles are in Thailand compared to the UK and more than double the price of a comparative new model in the USA.

Have a great weekend.

Peter

There are several 'models in the Thai YARIS range increasing in price if you select useless add-ons such as spoiler kits, keyless engine start and the like. My wife preferred the YARIS over the JAZZ but wanted leather upholstery. Three separate dealers told us that leather was avalable only on the 'G' model and was not an option on the other models!! So, we went for the 'G' although it did come with audio reverse indicator, spotlights and a few other bits.

Bear in mind that the Thai models are all auto box whereas, I assume, the UK model is manual with auto option.

Hey Geoff

Have a great weekend.

Peter

Hi peterjackson,

Petertheheater answered your G question

10 years ago cars in Thailand were considerably cheaper than in the UK - due to the fact that greedy dealers stuck to over inflated, recommended price lists. Over the years, to compete with cheap imported vehicles coming over the channel from europe, they had to re-price accorordingly.

I've no idea why cars are so cheap in the US.....anyone?

Hey

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the input,

Geoff, I don't think the Jazz sold in Thailand has an instrument dimmer switch. I have a pre-facelift VTEC and it doesnt have the dimmer, and AFAIK the facelifted model doesn't either.

Not that its really necessary, the nice orange glow doesn't affect nightvision so much. I don't like the bright white instrument panel on the Vios or Yaris - one look at it and your temporarily blinded