Will Aeon ATM make a comeback?

2 weeks ago i went to TMB atm in Chumphon Town and it prompted 180 baht withdraw (VISA logo debit card). I thought to myself about the banking cartel and how the thai banks are making these changes casually. There does not seem to be any law that governs these fees for foreign atms. Bangkok bank is the only one i know of that is still 150 baht/withdraw. But if the cartel decides to universally increase to 180 baht or more, will AEON atms become more attractive again, assuming they dont budge from their 150 baht position?

Obviously it will unlikely ever be the same as before when AEON was fee-free. But even if it was just to protest the higher fee, would you use Aeon ATM again if it was within a reasonable distance?

• Like 1

Well, actually Bangkok Bank does charge Bt180 for Mastercard; it's only the Visa card that is still Bt150 unless they have recently raised that also...their website still shows Bt150 for a Visa card...and only Bt50 (yes, only fifty) for an AmEx card. As posted in this and other recent threads, the four or so banks that got frequently mentioned only charging Bt150, like TMB and Krungsri, have recently raised their fee to Bt180.

I wouldn't surprise me in the least that AEON went to Bt180 but if they do they will need to raise their Bt20K per transaction limit to avoid losing business since other banks offer Bt25K and Bt30K per transaction. But it will be our luck the other banks will just lower their transaction limits to Bt20K like AEON and a few other banks.

Oh yea, the banksters cartel prefers to be called by their actual, formal name of Thai Bankers Association.

• Like 1

Aeon ATM machines are still available. Used the one outside my school more than ten times a few months ago before noticing that SCB (used an SCB debit card) was charging me B120 per withdrawal.

A typo maybe... think you meant Bt20 per withdrawal which is a common inter-bank or inter-province ATM fee. And it also depends if the ATM is part of the National ATM Pool. But Bt20 is about the highest Thai bank card ATM withdrawal fee within Thailand...it ranges between Bt10 to 20 depending on the bank and some other factors.

• Like 1

Aeon ATM machines are still available. Used the one outside my school more than ten times a few months ago before noticing that SCB (used an SCB debit card) was charging me B120 per withdrawal.

A typo maybe... think you meant Bt20 per withdrawal which is a common inter-bank or inter-province ATM fee. And it also depends if the ATM is part of the National ATM Pool. But Bt20 is about the highest Thai bank card ATM withdrawal fee within Thailand...it ranges between Bt10 to 20 depending on the bank and some other factors.

I think they are talking about using ATMs to get baht from a foreign exchange transaction, not a domestic ATM baht withdrawal.

Conversely I am charge $10 in NY and Baht 200 locally for a deposit made directly to my account with Bangkok Bank via their New York branch for amounts greater than $2000. Seems cheaper and less of a hassle if you make a transfer every few months and then use you Bangkok Bank ATM card for "free" withdrawals of cash as you need it ... free for the first 5 withdrawals from a non-Bangkok Bank machine per month or free at all times from a Bangkok Bank ATM in your branch's region.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

As a last ditch contingency because of the fee and also due to w/d limitations at the ATM and also my card ($1,000/day).

I went to over-the-counter withdrawals when Aeon went into the cartel fee zone. Fortunate my small BKK Bank branch seems happy to do it with my Visa Debit card (Schwab).

If that ever changed, I would probably go with the Pib Credit Card Method TM vs. ATM.

After that would be lump sum transfers via BKK Bank NY.

Ditto on all counts.

I think they are talking about using ATMs to get baht from a foreign exchange transaction, not a domestic ATM baht withdrawal.

Conversely I am charge $10 in NY and Baht 200 locally for a deposit made directly to my account with Bangkok Bank via their New York branch for amounts greater than $2000. Seems cheaper and less of a hassle if you make a transfer every few months and then use you Bangkok Bank ATM card for "free" withdrawals of cash as you need it ... free for the first 5 withdrawals from a non-Bangkok Bank machine per month or free at all times from a Bangkok Bank ATM in your branch's region.

I don't know...he said he was using a SCB debit card which I assumed to be Siam Commercial Bank or Standard Chartered Bank Thailand which are not foreign cards in Thailand. Now if he was talking using an AEON ATM outside his school which was in "another country" then that's a possibility as I expect SCB charges a Bt100 flat fee for a foreign withdrawal which is typical for Thai debit cards and maybe there was another Bt20 charge somewhere to add up to Bt120. Or like I said, maybe just a typo....meant to say Bt20.

Isn't there a way around by setting up dual Paypal accounts, which is perfectly legal and accepted by Paypal, to get money from your western account to your Thai account without a fee?

The crummy Paypal exchange rate makes it not worth it.

Edited by BudRight

Isn't there a way around by setting up dual Paypal accounts, which is perfectly legal and accepted by Paypal, to get money from your western account to your Thai account without a fee?

The crummy Paypal exchange rate makes it not worth it.

With Paypal transfers you have the option to use your banks or credit card's exchange rate.