Red License Plates

JimGant

Finalizing buying a new car, but am confused about 'temporary' license plates.

I was told I could either get 'red plates' while waiting for my permanent plates; or just drive without any plates while waiting (dealer says this option is good for 60 days). With the latter, I would be prevented (legally, anyway) from driving out of my Province for overnight stays -- so says the dealer.

Since I don't plan to leave the Province, and think the added annoyance of obtaining interim red plates isn't worth the bother, what am I missing here? Is the dealer correct? Is there some other advantage I'm missing?

(wife says red plates are just typical Thai bragging: "I've got a new car. La dee la dee da.")

Hi Jim.

As usual the dealer is almost correct, although your wife is spot on!

Obtaining red plates is no bother as the dealers do the registration for you and you simply return the car for the new plates to be fitted when they arrive at the dealership and at the same time they will take off the red plates. My temporary red plates were free, although I know some dealers charge a deposit and even a hire fee. Haggle this one before you buy! If you opt for the "no plates" option you will still have to return to the dealer to obtain the new plates.

On a practical note, I lost my front (permanent) plate a week after it was fitted. I subsequently obtained a letter (free) from the cops in Kanchanaburi Province, I think, saying I lost the plate. I applied for a new front plate in Bangkok, one month later, still driving with no front plate we then moved to our place in the south for the rainy season and I still haven't had time to go collect the new front plate in Bangkok - and this was 4 months ago! Never been stopped by the police in either Bangers or Songkhla or anywhere else for that matter, and we travel alot.

When we had a red plate we were told not to travel from Greater Bangkok and not to use the vehicle during the hours of darkness. We ignored this and never had a problem with the police. Maybe the insurance would be invalid though. Anyway, my advice is take the red plates. But either way, don't worry. It's all very laid back here in my experience. Also, never forget that, as a farang, in this respect you are equal with Thais and you have a "licence" to do what you want. It's a little red and white piece of paper with an image of His Majesty The King and 100 in the top right hand corner!

Enjoy the new motor.

Cheers, Rick

You must have original red plates with the little transport dept insignia on the bottom right hand corner. Some dealers will give you fake plates with no insignia, and you'll be stopped by the coppers all the time and fined 200-500 Baht.

Driving with no plates it just silly, I think the dealer is trying to fob you off as he has no plates on hand.

Make sure you've got the Govt Insurance sticker on the window too.

You'd better have these red plates and i don't understand what coul dbe the issue to get the new ones.

Driving without plate used to be trendy few years back. I used to drive few years without plate but got police issues from time to time. Not big deal actually.

When you use your white licensed plate, this become more an hassle as you have to explain a lot to the police what happened and go to Mochit to apply for new one and wait till it comes. Then go to the shop to get it fixed.

Thanx for the replies.

When we had a red plate we were told not to travel from Greater Bangkok and not to use the vehicle during the hours of darkness.

I heard too about the 'no night driving,' but thought that it was so stupid as to not be true (maybe a 'new' driver should be restricted to daylight, but a 'new' car..........??!! Ridiculous, so probably true). And if true, and with the insurance invalidity question, guess I'd better look into it.

Anyone have anything definitive on this?

Thanx for the replies.
When we had a red plate we were told not to travel from Greater Bangkok and not to use the vehicle during the hours of darkness.

I heard too about the 'no night driving,' but thought that it was so stupid as to not be true (maybe a 'new' driver should be restricted to daylight, but a 'new' car..........??!! Ridiculous, so probably true). And if true, and with the insurance invalidity question, guess I'd better look into it.

Anyone have anything definitive on this?

I was told that the Red Plates originally were used for new drivers, they were not allowed to drive after dark. However that was changed a long time ago and now there is no issue about driving with a Red Plate after dark, just seems that some people remember the old rules but have not since bothered to find out since they have changed. Still my gfs' dad did say that he recommended not driving after 10pm with red plates.....not because it was illegal but the cops see the red plate and pull you over trying to extort money (thinking is you must be rich coz you have a nice new car with a shiny red plate!) for some ridiculous offence :o

You must have original red plates with the little transport dept insignia on the bottom right hand corner. Some dealers will give you fake plates with no insignia, and you'll be stopped by the coppers all the time and fined 200-500 Baht.

Well worth noting, one thing I never looked for or expected was fake plates on a brand new car.

I was told that the Red Plates originally were used for new drivers, they were not allowed to drive after dark. However that was changed a long time ago and now there is no issue about driving with a Red Plate after dark, just seems that some people remember the old rules but have not since bothered to find out since they have changed.

Last year actually, and it's still an 'misdemeanor' (whatever that means) to drive after dark or to leave your home province.

I was told that the Red Plates originally were used for new drivers, they were not allowed to drive after dark. However that was changed a long time ago and now there is no issue about driving with a Red Plate after dark, just seems that some people remember the old rules but have not since bothered to find out since they have changed.

Last year actually, and it's still an 'misdemeanor' (whatever that means) to drive after dark or to leave your home province.

Thats a long time to some people :o

When I had red plates on my car I regularlly drove out of BKK to Hua Hin, Rayong and Pattaya....never had any problems. Guess the cops don't enforce the out of province much, although that doesn't mean they won't in future I guess. Don't understand why they can't register the car in advance like they do in the UK....reserve your number....when the car arrives the garage fills in the VIN/Engine number and other required paperwork....sends it off and you get you blue book in the post or pick up in a few weeks later.

I'm on the verge of buying a new car....can someone say for sure that its now Ok to drive at night with red plates. My Thai wife is insisting you can't :o

Driving at night and out of province was downgraded last year from an 'offence' with a fine of 2000 Baht, to a 'misdemeanor' which seems to mean the police don't care unless you do something else illegal.

Lots of vehicles around after dark with red plates, I wouldn't worry, just push you garage for the 'real' plates.

I'm on the verge of buying a new car....can someone say for sure that its now Ok to drive at night with red plates. My Thai wife is insisting you can't :o

Driving at night and out of province was downgraded last year from an 'offence' with a fine of 2000 Baht, to a 'misdemeanor' which seems to mean the police don't care unless you do something else illegal.

Lots of vehicles around after dark with red plates, I wouldn't worry, just push you garage for the 'real' plates.

Cheers for that Crossy. Now all I have to do is persuade the TW :D

This information is from a friend who works as a higway police:

Red plates are temporaly plates for the dealers, garages, etc. to move vehicles that ARE NOT REGISTERED. And use of these plates is allowed ONLY between 06 - 18 hours as there is no reason to move unregistered vehicles night-time. Also distances from a province to another is not allowed. (Night-time driving and cross-province moving is allowed ONLY on a particular and specila permision from Department of Land Transport.)

These plates should not be given to clients who buy cars to use them while the car is being registered.

A dealer can obtain the regular white licence plate easily in one working day and the story of it taking weeks is just bulls***ing the clients since the dealers don't want to waste their time on this byrocracy but only when it suits them the best. Usually because they save time and effort by collecting several registrations to one single visit to the authorities. Which af course is efficient for them.

So remember; you are not entitled to USE the vehicle with red plates but merely to transport it temporarily; e.g. from the dealer to your home.

But as we all know: Very low risk the police will ever bother you.

An act of idiotism:

Talking about this matter with my girl-friend now: Her car up-country is now 2 years old

and she admits that her father got the white plates and PAINTED THEM RED!!! :o

I have seen a vehicle in Malaysia with Thai red plates..............

So much for staying in the same province.

I wonder how he crossed the border with no log book( Tabien Lod)??

I have the same information as Hans Lankari.

Night time driving is also allowed if you are on the way from office to home.

On the practical side, there is not much check from the police.

However, these cars are highly targeted by thieves as they are not yet registered.

Man,i drove everywhere,anytime on red plates when i got my jazz.

In addition,the Honda dealer waited more than 2 months to get white plates for me,so that my car would be rgistered in 2006,rather than 2005.

I even went to Chiang Mai,where i got a speeding ticket,no mention of red plates....

On the other hand,rumour is that bkk cops dont care as much as cops in the province......