How do you deal with the heat? Seriously...

joeyg

Great stuff..except I always wear shoes and socks..

Three strap sandals are good. Flip flops are ok for short strolls.

I wet my shirt in public bathrooms when coming down to walk around my hot town in Hawaii.Wringing it out, then rewetting if necessary..better then fainting..

I like the exercise idea..1/2 hour a day..brisk walking in morning..uphill if possible..

So many great posts!!

No Beer!! (or very little)?

Edited by KonaRain

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will never get used to the humidity and I admire people that can sleep at night with only a fan in the bedroom . I need air con to feel normal when I do indoor activities. Before I used to to do a lot of outdoor sport but now all I do is walking and a little bit of jogging after the sun goes down, For me the best months are December-February.

I love Thailand but not the climate.

Edited by balo

Hi,

I'm kindova noob, but we spent Feb-Sept in Phuket this year and are moving there *permanently* in December.

• I met a young Thai guy who had spent 3 years at a university in the US. He said that it took him two years to acclimatise to Phuket again, so maybe you're not so unusual.

• Controversial............but crocs suck completely. They're like Wellington boots but with holes. You're from the States, so consider buying Chacos:
http://www.chacos.com/US/en

They're good for anything from tarmac to hopping over boulders. I've had no toe cheese in the 15 years I've worn them. They last for ever (2 pairs in that time) and they are a lot cooler, in all senses.

My 5 Baht!

biggrin.png

be sure to cross your legs when seated. another man's junk hanging down between his leg and shorts on public transit is not something i enjoy looking at.

Hello Viewers!

Sorry to sound " rather harsh " but nobody can get used to the heat by staying indoors all day! ( especially with air con ) My little 2000 baht a month room has a fan but i never use it! I take two showers a day in cold water.And spend most days outside in the sunshine.No alcohol ( that will raise your heat levels....) you must drink plenty of water ( not Fanta viewers...) I would also recommend daily exercise such as " walking " ( don't use motorbikes and baht buses as they will make you lazy ) Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables every day too! I have about 8 pairs of Swimming shorts which i think are the best for spending most of the day outside.Nice and comfortable and " lets the breeze ventilate your more sensitive areas " .....( ladies kind respect where due..) Good quality Flip Flops are good ( not trainers! ) My newly resoled Kitto Flips make a daily 15 km stroll quite simple and enjoyable.( 350 baht at a store near you...) Living just 15 minutes from the waters edge ( the sea ) is also a great advantage with a constant breeze and perfect for afternoon swimming.

Are you still with me viewers......?

When you are walking i would recommend to take an ipod or MP3 player with you it will help you when " strolling alone " and you will have the delight of your favourite cool tunes " bangin' in your ears "........

Farang Jaidee wub.png

Photo attached taken yesterday of myself after a 3 baht train journey into the country and climbing 289 steps to a place so high - " Where Eagles Dare " ........ ( a cool movie ) w00t.gif

post-193254-0-61644600-1416362097_thumb.

I've lived in some hot parts of the world but Australia takes the cake for stinking 'hot' weather. Thailand is humid, Australia is hot.

Darwin has both humidity and heat..... Bit like Singapore and Kanchanaburi.

40 odd degrees where I sit today, stifling, not a puff of wind....it must be because the devil himself is in town.

Years ago I travelled in the great sandy desert in Oz and the Pilbara region of WA., it was the summer. The aircon had packed it in so we took the doors off the ute and threw em in the back......I was tempted to kick the windscreen out too, but it was a loaner, so it was doors off only. In the old days I use to have an old cruiser and there was a little kick pad down the bottom that you could open with your feet to allow wind to blow in a cool your nuts off. My trusty gauge told me it was 50 deg celcius that day in the shade, although the weather jerks said it was only 48.3. It was so hot, my mouth was as dry as a nuns nasty. Nearly every year European type people die in the Australian outback after their cars break down or become stuck....hot, remote and dry. The Aborigines know how to survive out there.

Some years ago I broke down on the road from Dubai to Fujairah, it was in summer and hotter than Saint lucifers den, I remember scratching around on the side of the road hoping that the next car that came along was a 'friendly' and just 20 minutes out there would be enuf to dry you right out.

Thailand is a push over, it's about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.

Drink plenty of water, take plenty of showers, wear cool cotton clothing and most of all, man up a bit, cripes lad the war didn't stop just because the troops were a bit warm.

I adore those 35+ degree summer days in the south of Oz. Dry as a tack, no breeze. Cricket on in the background, the very definition of summer for me.

To the OP, the only thing I can say is we are coming out of the worst time of year. Hot humid wet grey and miserable. Gives a London winter a run in many ways just in its relentlessness.

To reflect on what other say, you adjust and you probably need to ease into it, going through the 'winter' and have the slow approach to April heat, by which point youll be fine.

I find that choice of clothing has a huge effect:

1) No more socks

2) If you can find shirts made out of bamboo fibre (they sell them in Siem Reap), I highly recommend them. A huge difference

3) On the second floor of Ploenchit Center is a cloting outlet store that sells ExOfficio brand. Great clothes for hot weather

4) If you need exercise gear, then heated gear by Under Armor is great. Adidas has its own brand

I feel your pain. I also live in San Diego, and after a month in wonderful Thailand, I am so happy to get back home.

I think dealing with that heat and humidity in Thailand has more to deal with where you are from than it does with getting used to it in Thailand. I have been standing on the upper level of Silom BTS, not moving an inch, and with sweat pouring down, while those around me appear to be as comfortable as can be.

You have the curse of living in a nice climate, and there is nothing you can do about it. Just take the California Zen approach - embrace it!

Edited by californiabeachboy

I haven't read this entire thread, so apologies in advance if I'm repeating something.

100% of the cases I've seen where someone can't get used to the heat in Thailand are associated with setting the air-con too low at home and in hotel rooms. Set it at 28, just to take the edge off. Initially it will feel too warm in the room, but unless you're physically active you will be perspiring very little, if at all. After a little while, 28 will feel normal and 26 will feel chilly.

There's a huge difference between leaving a 22 degree room and stepping into a 32 degree day vs. moving from 28 to 32. The 10 degree difference will hit you like a wall. A 4 degree difference will be noticeable but minor.

I've lived in some hot parts of the world but Australia takes the cake for stinking 'hot' weather. Thailand is humid, Australia is hot.

Darwin has both humidity and heat..... Bit like Singapore and Kanchanaburi.

40 odd degrees where I sit today, stifling, not a puff of wind....it must be because the devil himself is in town.

Years ago I travelled in the great sandy desert in Oz and the Pilbara region of WA., it was the summer. The aircon had packed it in so we took the doors off the ute and threw em in the back......I was tempted to kick the windscreen out too, but it was a loaner, so it was doors off only. In the old days I use to have an old cruiser and there was a little kick pad down the bottom that you could open with your feet to allow wind to blow in a cool your nuts off. My trusty gauge told me it was 50 deg celcius that day in the shade, although the weather jerks said it was only 48.3. It was so hot, my mouth was as dry as a nuns nasty. Nearly every year European type people die in the Australian outback after their cars break down or become stuck....hot, remote and dry. The Aborigines know how to survive out there.

Some years ago I broke down on the road from Dubai to Fujairah, it was in summer and hotter than Saint lucifers den, I remember scratching around on the side of the road hoping that the next car that came along was a 'friendly' and just 20 minutes out there would be enuf to dry you right out.

Thailand is a push over, it's about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.

Drink plenty of water, take plenty of showers, wear cool cotton clothing and most of all, man up a bit, cripes lad the war didn't stop just because the troops were a bit warm.

I adore those 35+ degree summer days in the south of Oz. Dry as a tack, no breeze. Cricket on in the background, the very definition of summer for me.

To the OP, the only thing I can say is we are coming out of the worst time of year. Hot humid wet grey and miserable. Gives a London winter a run in many ways just in its relentlessness.

To reflect on what other say, you adjust and you probably need to ease into it, going through the 'winter' and have the slow approach to April heat, by which point youll be fine.

Mate, that is summer Oz to just about every Ozzie male (almost). The other afternoon, it was 39 degrees, I had the crIcket on the idiot box, the webber fired up with some pork roast & veggies going, oz crawl playing on the wireless I was bare foot across the grass & into the creek where amphitheatre of cicadas drowned out the sound of everything. Later in the evening a storm shot thru and cooled everything off.

Summer has arrived....something like that.

Having spent most of my adult life in the US Southwest, I do like hot and dry climates. But here, hot and humid can be tough. But it's also the sun, which is almost directly overhead and brutal.

I've no intention of leaving, but those "dog days" of April through June are tough! LOL

It's absolutely beautiful right now. Couldn't be better.

Hello Viewers!

Sorry to sound " rather harsh " but nobody can get used to the heat by staying indoors all day! ( especially with air con ) My little 2000 baht a month room has a fan but i never use it! I take two showers a day in cold water.And spend most days outside in the sunshine.No alcohol ( that will raise your heat levels....) you must drink plenty of water ( not Fanta viewers...) I would also recommend daily exercise such as " walking " ( don't use motorbikes and baht buses as they will make you lazy ) Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables every day too! I have about 8 pairs of Swimming shorts which i think are the best for spending most of the day outside.Nice and comfortable and " lets the breeze ventilate your more sensitive areas " .....( ladies kind respect where due..) Good quality Flip Flops are good ( not trainers! ) My newly resoled Kitto Flips make a daily 15 km stroll quite simple and enjoyable.( 350 baht at a store near you...) Living just 15 minutes from the waters edge ( the sea ) is also a great advantage with a constant breeze and perfect for afternoon swimming.

Are you still with me viewers......?

When you are walking i would recommend to take an ipod or MP3 player with you it will help you when " strolling alone " and you will have the delight of your favourite cool tunes " bangin' in your ears "........

Farang Jaidee wub.png

Photo attached taken yesterday of myself after a 3 baht train journey into the country and climbing 289 steps to a place so high - " Where Eagles Dare " ........ ( a cool movie ) w00t.gif

Yeah good advice... Too many sit inside all day... Yeah a great movie!

The recent weather has been a great reprieve. I was telling my buddy yesterday morning on the way to the BTS it felt just like. San Diego. Hope for a nice transition through to April by trying to follow all the good advice given here...

The recent weather has been a great reprieve. I was telling my buddy yesterday morning on the way to the BTS it felt just like. San Diego. Hope for a nice transition through to April by trying to follow all the good advice given here...

I lived in San Diego for many years. A friend moved back there a few years ago after being here for many years. He nearly froze to death! It does get quite cold in the winter. At least in the early mornings.

use ice powder to cool down.

even your lower parts will love it! :)

Yes I have used some of that " Ice powder cooler " - I sprinkled some down my shorts once and not only came out in a " hideous red rash " but left my " Brazil's " ( nuts ) looking as burnt as Joan of Arc........ F.J

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a week in Yasothan. It was a dry low 90s during the day and a low 70s in the morning and evenings. Very pleasant. One of the great tricks I found was not to dry off after my bucket shower. I would just put on a sarong and air dry it really cool me down.

Now I'm back in Bangkok with the heat and humidity. Somehow it seems a little easier to handle. We'll be heading up to Khon Kaen four about three weeks and then Down to Pattaya for the new year holiday.

God I love this place...

One of the joys of living in Thailand is its perfect climate offering " an outdoor lifestyle " I am outside in the sun every day ( in fact i am about to take a gentle stroll to the beach as you are reading this post viewers......) Having lived in the Canary Islands for 20 years i spent about 5 days indoors due to storms! The sun is good for you and we all look better with a " cool suntan " ( nothing worse than looking like a " Rentaghost " ) Even the latest reports in Thailand suggest the Thais should start spending more time in the sun as it is extremely bad for you without some sunshine plus most Thais look better with a tan too!

One thing i can never understand is why anybody would choose Thailand as a place to live and not go outside and not enjoy the climate!? It's great for sunbathing on the beaches,lovely walks and perfect weather for bike rides ( bicycle ) Living in air con is the worst thing you can do then when you do go outside it feels even hotter! I would recommend getting out a bit more and start walking in the mornings but drink lots of water! ( 3 litres a day would be a good start! ) When living next to the sea it never gets too hot as you have the rather delightful " Sea Breeze " .Also rather than lots of showers start swimming more! fabulous exercise and there really is no excuse!

Farang Jaidee ( one of the suntan crew ...)

This HAS to be a joke, how can anyone 'enjoy' being in an oven ? Ridiculous post ! I recommend staying in during the day and avoid being subjected to direct (or indirect) sun. Better to stay as white as you can, it looks so, so much better.

Why choose Thailand as a place to live if you are going to sit indoors all day? You might as well move to the UK! The climate might be more suitable? I am out and about every day from 06.30 I would feel quite depressed and probably end up on a " Prozac " after 2 hours of being in indoors and missing all those lovely free outdoor activities.

Correct, that is why I don't choose to live in Lieland and I do live in London.

• 1 month later...

A few weeks ago I would have paid anything for a pair of long Johns in any condition. Was staying up in Yasothon and Khon Kaen. We had some 59 degree mornings, quite brisk. In the day it would get up to 70, very nice.

That morning bucket shower was pretty wild. Anyway back in Samut Prakan and the weather has been gorgeous for weeks.

Trying to decide between North Pattaya or out in the boonies in Yasothon at my buddies farm to settle down. The beach in North Patts wasn't bad all things considered.

I keep telling myself that this is the time to gradually adjust back up to the heat and humidity thats around the corner

Give it a bit of time. I take around a month to acclimatize usually. Drink lots of water, take showers twice or three times a day.

Thailand is no place for two day pants. The inside out thing doesn't work.

Lose the socks. Crocs over socks is a no no.

Spend December January & February in Ft Mcmurray Alberta In Canada some year soon.

If you ever feel uncomfortable with the heat reminise those long cold months.

The heat will stop bothering you immediately... ... ...

Its bloody freezing!

I agree . 25 degrees right now in Bangkok, and enough to freeze the b%%ls of a brass monkey.

I used to suffer from the heat, but as I say 25 degrees and I feel really cold. In England I would have considered this as HOT.

I've noticed as I get older the heat is tougher on me as well. Had to move from AZ because of the summers but that said find the shade and don't stay out too long. On my last trip over it was actually pretty nice in October.

• 4 months later...

I was telling my buddy here that I've either really acclimated to the heat or my thermostat is broken. on the hottest days when Thai neighbors are saying Laun mak mak I say mai laun. They just laugh. Even times when I'm sweating bullets it doesn't seem to phase me.

The only things I do different than last year is I always have a bandana in my pocket to wipe sweat. And I almost always use a good size umbrella in the afternoons. it makes a big difference. No one will walk anywhere with me except my buddies 4 year old grandson when I take him to the play ground.

When I tell people where I walk to the Mall or market in the middle of the day they are shocked. I have my regular watering holes for a cold coconut, beer or water and don't care how hot it is. Even the Som Tum lady across the street from our building was commenting to my GF that, "He walk every where everyday!"

Maybe I've lost my mind but I'm feelin' good. Last years heat was "puttin' me down" and that was cool season. Anyway it's all good now... ;)

Yesterday I had lunch at the nearby somtam vendor and she was doing the lorn mak ma bit and I said,

" So why are you wearing a jacket, beneath that a blouse, beneath that a T shirt and presumebly a bra?

Me, just a T shirt and I am fine and not siitting in the mid day sun without an umbrella."

Answer:

"I don't want to get dark skin,".

Then I just laugheda nd went into a rant about why she is ashamed to have dark skin.

Hell the skin white nonsense drives me crazy!