Phuket remembrance day of road traffic victims on November 25

Lite Beer

Phuket remembrance day of road traffic victims on November 25

The Phuket News

1416108667_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: -- On November 25, Phuket will observe the World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims for the first time.

The event traditionally been observed globally on the third Sunday of November every year and was originally adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 2005.

The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) in Phuket, however, will observe the remembrance day on November 25 due to a shortage of officers who are currently working during the 4th Asian Beach Games.

Thailand currently ranks number two in road fatalities in the world, with 44 road deaths per 100,000 people, according to a 2014 study. Fatalities from road accidents made up 5.1 percent of Thailand’s overall deaths.

According to the Royal Thai Police, there were 6,185 deaths as a result of road traffic incidents between October 2013 and September 2014 (4,610 males and 1,575 females). In comparing statistics it should be noted that there is a difference in the method of calculating statistics for road deaths in Thailand (at the scene of the accident) and the WHO (within 30 days of the accident).

"People would not ride a motorcycle in the UK without a helmet and proper clothing yet many do so when on holiday in Thailand," British Ambassador Mark Kent said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-remembrance-day-of-road-traffic-victims-on-november-25-49689.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-16

So technically the victim just needs to be put in the ambulance and it drives off, and that is no longer classified as a road death in Thailand?... So what is it classed as??... Medical malpractice?????

So if they released the figures of everyone who actually dies as a result of a road accident, then probably Thailand will be number one on the list.

Also, why does Mark Kent have to comment like it is the fault of British tourists for the DISGUSTINGLY BAD Thai road death numbers? God I hate that guy so much. Just sort out the deaths of British tourists in Thai resorts rather than occupy yourself with tourists not wearing crash helmets. The actual reason why they don't wear them is that they see so many Thais not wearing them and assume it is not illegal. Which is what i first thought when I came here 5 years ago, including seeing up to four school children per bike no older than 14 riding without licenses straight past policemen at busy intersections in rush hour.

Edited by RustBucket
  • Like 1

Ranked #2 in deaths in the world.

I rented a car a few times in my travels in Thailand. My last trip to Thailand, I drove 3000 KM in 5 days. This includes Phuket. I watched people drive like morons and I watched accidents occur everywhere. Most notably, trucks turned on their sides because they refuse to slow down to make a turn. Watch those trucks with all of their pretty lights drive around turns way too fast and flip onto their sides. At that time, I had a Thai girlfriend and I let her drive the rental car. Horrible experience. She would just barely pass the car in the other lane and cut over causing the other person to brake quickly. Mai pen rai, I guess. Terrible terrible terrible drivers. The roads in Thailand are a jungle. If you live there, buy yourself the biggest vehicle you can afford because you will be involved in an accident and you want to survive. And of course, it should go without saying, it will be your fault if you are not Thai.

My friend who lives there broke his leg after he was hit by a truck (Thai driver) who made an illegal turn. My friend (not Thai) had to pay for the damages to the truck that hit him. All I can do is laugh. Thailand is a joke.

• Like 1

Sympathies extended to the victims and families of course but how about this.

Rather than make big announcements about remembrance days in an effort to intimate they care why don't they show they really care...

1. Introduce a meaningful driving test

2. Ban drivers with no licence or insurance

3. Instill a few rules on the road and have the police arrest those who break them

4. Ban repeat offenders from 3.

5. Have an MOT test to get rid of some of the wrecks being driven around.

6. Have a real test for bus and coach drivers.

7. Enforce speed limits.

8 stop people driving down the wrong side of a carriageway.

9 make it an offence to have no lights

Oh I could go on.........

I travel a lot here. I have never seen anything like what goes on and to add to it the police just seem to watch and do nothing.

If you want to reduce deaths have laws and enforce them. It's not rocket science

• Like 1

"Thailand currently ranks number two in road fatalities in the world, with 44 road deaths per 100,000 people" - and with these statistics, Phuket must be the worst province in Thailand for road fatalities, which makes it the most dangerous place to ride/drive, in the world.

"People would not ride a motorcycle in the UK without a helmet and proper clothing yet many do so when on holiday in Thailand," - people in the UK have access to Government regulated proper public transport. Sure, many ride without a helet and protective clothing here, but how many, of the "many" would get public transport, should it exist here?

Until the Thai Army handle the public transport issue here, in the same way they handled the beach encroachment, many will continue to die on the roads on Phuket.