Train travel safety for lone female

Duggsie

Hello,

I did pose this question in the pinned train travel post, but got no replies so am posting in new thread, in the hope someone can offer advice. Thank you.

A few years ago, I travelled to Chiang Mai from Bangkok. As it was so relatvely inexpensive to do so, I travelled First Class.

The food provided was OK (but only OK) and as i was neither expecting nor requiring a meal, I was not unduly disappointed.

The cabin was cosy in size but the aircon was just too cold and with no control switch.

The bunk beds were not particularly comfortable (but that may have been contributed too by my lass insisting on us sharing a bunk designed for one rather, than our taking a bunk each). Not a wink of sleep was snatched. sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

In retrospect, I would probably go Second Class, next time.

The thing is, my daughter will soon be travelling solo from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and has decided to do so by train.

My main concern with the First Class cabins is her security. I met a few people in the corridor when nipping to the loo etc., as we were in the end carriage and people would congregate at the open window of the back door in order to grab a smoke and have a chat, away from those sleeping in the main carriages. The idea arose that it would be easy for a single female, sleeping in a carriage alone, might be targeted for theft from (or worse).

Should I advise her to travel in a Second Class "sleeper-seat" where at least their are other people around and she would not be isolated, in the event of a "problem" arising?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Duggsie smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

The same question came to mind regarding my wife traveling alone. It is a valid concern.

A cabin could indeed be more dangerous. I don't remember if there were peepholes in first class, but even if there are there is still the possibility of keyed entry without warning, while the victim is sleeping. An old trick is to follow a target, then slip in behind them when they open the door.

Second class is public. Give your daughter a "screaming" personal alarm and have her sleep with it. For that matter, always carry it, day and night, everywhere. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Vigilant-PPS22BL-Emergency-Personal-Keychain/dp/B005E04MK0

I have two for my wife. One is a keychain, the other is around her neck.

And the correct thing for a woman to scream, is not "rape" or "help," rather "fire! fire! fire!" Teach your daughter how to say it in Thai.

Thanks for the reply and pleased to see I'm not alone in considering a solo in a 1st class carriage is indisputably more vulnerable than a solo in 2nd class, where others (witnesses) are.

As for the personal alarms, I love them. I've bought her four to date. One she could wear around her neck, one that clipped onto her belt, one that was essentially a keyring/torch and one she could slip into her bag (which had a noxious smelling but harmless spray incorporated). I gave her the first when she went off to university but she will not use any of them (too inconvenient and/or "uncool" for her). I despair!!

I have tested the devices and they are so loud and terrifying that even I want to run out of the room (and I've done now't wrong - just testing it!).

Am considering carrying one in my own pocket - it pretends to be an `led torch`` so it's hardly not "cool", but then, I'm an old fart I guess.

I think Second Class Sleeper is probably the way to go, for her.

I know I would have felt isolated in First (were it not that my lady was accompanying me).

Guess I answered my own question when I posed it.

Thanks, again, for confirming what I suspected.

Duggsie smile.png

The State Railways of Thailand decked out one carriage per train - on its routes to Chiang Mai in the north, Sungai Kolok in the south, and Ubon Ratchathani and Nong Khai in the northeast – with dark pink curtains, instead of the standard light blue, and flower-decorated pink and white signs that read “Ladies and children only”.

The special carriages permit women and girls, as well as boys 10 years old or younger and no taller than 150 cm, and are staffed exclusively by women train employees and police.

“The railway is trying to boost confidence. If we did nothing, it would look like we were insensitive or didn’t care. We already have women staff, so why not do this and give women a choice? This way, women can travel without worrying,” said Kanya Maneesri, a railway employee who converts sitting areas to beds.

Fly, it is much safer. And quicker.

Taking the train is quite safe and its an exciting experience and enjoyable adventure.

Follow the suggestions of HeijoshinCool.

Second-Class AirCon and visit a little bit with your nearby passengers. I would opt for a lower bunk.

The food is still bad and is still overpriced. In fact, the food is the most dangerous part of train travel.

She will be fine.

I just had an overnight trip by train.

There was a flyer handed out with safety and security tips, mostly common sense. Before leaving the station, a presentation was given by the transport police in each cabin presented by the head of police and also police stationed on the train, as well as the cabin stewards. All had radios and personal the mobile number of the police was on the flyer. Soldiers also checked the train by means of a walk through before leaving the station. Doors between cars were locked at 22.00 which is no issue for bathroom as there are two in each car.

I was quite impressed and plan to use trains a lot more. It's a great way to travel and see the country.

Hope they all have a good and safe trip.

Forget first class carriage.

The other ticket for the other bunk would be sold to who? Or your daughter would be alone and/or would pay double. The staff on the train are ill-disciplined. They want to make money and pester passengers to buy things at double price. I would not trust them if they saw a young woman travelling alone. They would feel emboldened as they are on "home turf".

Surely a gal old enough to be in university can manage to travel by train in Thailand safely if she uses some common sense. Don't be overly friendly, don't drink booze, don't accept drinks from strangers , don't dress provocatively, keep an eye on your valuables etc etc...basic common sense that one should / could use most anywhere.

I'd agree that second class a/c would be best bet. The lower bunks are much more accessible while the upper bunks require a bit of climbing to even get in to.

Or better yet go into the ladies only car as suggested.

If I was A female I wouldn't travel anywhere in the world without pepper spray,stun gun,and A knife.And being that I'm A male I

Always carry A knife,except of course on A plane etc.Also take A self defense martial arts class.Many dangerous people out

There.And it's getting worse.