Flat Screen And Sound System

Lost in LOS

I have read most of the posts but i want a fresh, current opinon. i want to buy a large flat screen and a surround system. i need to listen to radio, dvd movies cds. i dont want to toss away my money but i can afford a good systmen and only want to do this once

from what i have read:

should i wait for the new sony 46" LCD, it seems to have all the bells and whistles [assuming it is coming to thailand in the near future] and that is a good size althought 40" would be acceptable

get the sony complete sound system in a box with a high wattage? would this include the dvd, cd and radio options? is there one to buy now and get the 46" sony later? do you have the model number of the one you suggest, when i look there are so many options and no real description in english and i hate to just buy the most expensive one assuming that is the best

would there be anything else i would need to complete a good system? i like to play music [probally a bit too loud] and watch movies

thanks in advance

jimmy

Hello Jimmy

I bought the top of the range 40' Sony bravia LCD 6 months ago.

The LCD is great when playing DVD via HDMI, excellent as a computer monitor but is let down as a TV due to poor UBC. I have had the UBC guy here a few times even tried switching to anologue box but the problem is still there. The worst is watching football !

I have a few friends who have bought plasma and LCD and we all complain about the UBC picture. My point is that the bigger the TV the worse the problem.

If anybody knows how to improve the situation please let me know.

Hello Jimmy

I bought the top of the range 40' Sony bravia LCD 6 months ago.

The LCD is great when playing DVD via HDMI, excellent as a computer monitor but is let down as a TV due to poor UBC. I have had the UBC guy here a few times even tried switching to anologue box but the problem is still there. The worst is watching football !

I have a few friends who have bought plasma and LCD and we all complain about the UBC picture. My point is that the bigger the TV the worse the problem.

If anybody knows how to improve the situation please let me know.

Hi jimmy,

It's not really a problem with UBC, more to do with fact that its normal TV resolution 625 lines. If HDTV ever comes to Thailand we'll be Ok....it's only just started in the UK. Can you wait 10-20 years? :o

Geoffphuket

Sony make good screens, but I am not so convinced in the Hi Fi side.

You do not say where you are based.

There are some good Hi Fi stores along Ratchadamri, opposite the World Trade Centre, in Bangkok. Also on the 1st floor of Sogo in Ploenchit.

These shops should be able to demonstate screens with suitable sound systems.

Prices vary from reasonable to astronomic.

Sony make good screens, but I am not so convinced in the Hi Fi side.

You do not say where you are based.

There are some good Hi Fi stores along Ratchadamri, opposite the World Trade Centre, in Bangkok. Also on the 1st floor of Sogo in Ploenchit.

These shops should be able to demonstate screens with suitable sound systems.

Prices vary from reasonable to astronomic.

i live in jomtien but to get the best system i can i will travel to bangkok if need be. i just want to get something that i wont regret later on. Back in the US i can check things out with experienced help but most of the shops i visit here have workers that know how to turn the system on and off and after that i am on my own and the specs are all in thai

I understand wot ur going thro having just bought a new computer, buying the constituent parts seperately and putting it together, and finding the appropiate software, not easy but worth the effort.

It doesn't help either when some instructions come written thus :-

# Avoid any tumbling while in use. Severe falling may cause damages

to the lens , malfunction of scratches to the surface

# For any problems concerning our products you purchased, please

send them back to local sales agent with effective illuminations.

:o:D

Buy the Samsung 46" LCD TV, They make Sony's screens anyhow and it is available for 120,000 Baht.

I would then buy a Marantz 5600 Amplifier, plug the UBC, DVD etc... into that and that into the TV via Component - IMO this gives the best UBC picture quality.

It's not really a problem with UBC, more to do with fact that its normal TV resolution 625 lines. If HDTV ever comes to Thailand we'll be Ok....it's only just started in the UK. Can you wait 10-20 years? :o

Actually it is a problem with UBC also. The MPEG compression they use creates a lot of artificating and definition loss in the playback. For a long time the moire patterns I saw (especially a blue sky or water) I blamed on my TV but after getting a new (42" Plasma) the patterns are still there.

Home Theaters in a box are the bottom of the pack. They're only good if you want an easy setup. AV receivers are next up, and then there's the high-end stuff. AV receivers will run from 15k baht to 100k+ baht, just for the receivers themselves. Then you have the matter of the speakers (5 speakers and subwoofer), which can cost more than the receiver itself.

As for the TV, I'd recommend getting something that at least has native 1080i resolution. Most LCD TVs sold in Thailand right now are only 1388x768, which is a far cry from the 1920x1080 of HDTV 1080i. Plasmas generally have even less resolution.

So how do you like your plasma TV?

Peter

Actually it is a problem with UBC also. The MPEG compression they use creates a lot of artificating and definition loss in the playback. For a long time the moire patterns I saw (especially a blue sky or water) I blamed on my TV but after getting a new (42" Plasma) the patterns are still there.

If you are after a wireless set of 5.1 speakers I recommend the Creative Gigaworks G550W

Picked up a set from Fortune over the weekend and am impressed. The rear speakers are wireless and work very well without any hiss

Rated at 310w

Been after a set of wireless speakers for ages