Anyone know of a nice place to spend a day at a pool?

Chicagoan

A lot of hotels will allow non guests to use the pool for a fee ...

I am not sure this is true in Bkk. I once called around to a bunch of places here, pretty much for the same reason as the OP, and the response at each one was that the pool was only for guests.

What the OP might consider is renting a room for a day. If he's planning a party then splitting the cost might not mean that much per person.

And the room could come in, cough, cough, handy.

Edited by The Dancer

I'm a swimmer OP primarily so the cocktails by the pool thing isn't a requirement for me.

There is a great pool at Benjasiri Park that lies empty much of the time.

You do however need a doctors certificate of fitness to get membership to use it....worth it though if you are into lap swimming in the mornings.

The Infinity pool at Sofitel So allows guests- 700 baht per person, 300 baht for kids. Bit pricey but a nice place to relax- although because of the season you don't really get the sun on it until around 2.30 / 3pm due to the main body of the hotel blocking it just now- but there is a sun bathing section on the far side if you don't mind getting the sun without water for a bit. Does mean the pool is pretty cold right now.

And keep in mind the last Saturday of every month is the pool party where it's much much busier and noisier.

post-78695-14166616297091_thumb.jpg

The Infinity pool at Sofitel So allows guests- 700 baht per person, 300 baht for kids. Bit pricey but a nice place to relax- although because of the season you don't really get the sun on it until around 2.30 / 3pm due to the main body of the hotel blocking it just now- but there is a sun bathing section on the far side if you don't mind getting the sun without water for a bit. Does mean the pool is pretty cold right now.

And keep in mind the last Saturday of every month is the pool party where it's much much busier and noisier.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1416661628.583047.jpg

Great info. I think I'll check that out.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

I'm a swimmer OP primarily so the cocktails by the pool thing isn't a requirement for me.

There is a great pool at Benjasiri Park that lies empty much of the time.

You do however need a doctors certificate of fitness to get membership to use it....worth it though if you are into lap swimming in the mornings.

I went that route once before, but never really ended up using it.

Yes, the pool is there, and doesn't seem to be much used.

But, you do have to go thru the membership application process in advance, including getting a medical certificate. Then they'll give you a membership card good for one year.

But as best as I recall, the downsides were that

1) the hours available were somewhat limited,

2] the location is not far from Phom Phrong BTS, but still far at the back of the park, and

3] the pool last time I was there pretty much had NO shade or places to lounge, so if the sun's beating down, pretty much no place to escape it there.

It's been a year or so.. But the last time I checked, the Ambassador Hotel on Suk Soi 11 would sell day passes to their fitness center, which included access to their very nice and quite large and deep swimming pool, for 500 baht per person. Price may have gone up somewhat since then.

But, at 1000 baht per day for a couple to swim, it is a bit pricey. Though they do have lounges and tables and food/beverage service available around their pool, as well as a locker room/changing room, showers, bathrooms, etc.

Well, I searched around a bit in terms of researching, and found a few lists of day-use swimming pool opportunities for Bangkok. But a lot of that information was old, out-of-date and scattered around in bits and pieces here and there. So I decided to spend a bit of time and come up with a more current, broader list to post here.

Basically, after my first round of calling around and checking, I was surprised at the number of different day use swimming opportunities available, even though most of us don't know anything about them. But they are out there. And basically, they break down into 3 basic categories:

1 - Thai government/public pools like Benjasiri Park next to The Emporium, National Stadium, the Sports Authority of Thailand and a few others. Generally, very low cost. May require a membership card requiring a medical certificate. Usually limited hours of access/operation. And pretty spartan in terms of amenities. The English speaking abilities of the staffs there may be limited or non-existent.

2. - There are a variety of private health or fitness clubs around that incorporate swimming pools and will accommodate single day users, ranging from Thai places that you've certainly never hear of, up the scale to relatively fancy farang oriented places, often attached to some of the nicest hotels.

3. And then there are large pools owned by hotels, condo and apartment complexes that may offer day use swimming and fitness activities to non-residents for a fee. That's where I ended up spending most of my time and energy, since I was more interested in places with some atmosphere and amenities like lounge chairs, drinks, food available, etc.

Here's the start of what I found:

Pantip Suites Sathorn, formerly Pantip Court, located near South Sathorn Soi 1

214b per person, per day. No ID or passport required. Pay at front desk. Outdoor pool hours 5:30 am to 8:30 pm

http://www.pantipsuites.com/

post-58284-0-93432300-1430663788_thumb.j

----------------------------

Ambassador Hotel health centre, Sukhumvit Soi 11

300 baht per person per day. Outdoor pool hours 7 am to 9 pm M-F, & 9 am to 9 pm Sat-Sun.

Price includes access to the pools and the somewhat limited fitness center facilities.

Food, drink, showers, locker rooms, bathrooms available.

http://www.amtel.co.th/facilities/wellness-centre/health-centre/

post-58284-0-60000200-1430664221_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

For those who want to go local and on the cheap, there are a couple of Thai private fitness center facilities in the Phra Kanong area with large pools open for single day use:

-------------------------------------------

The 71 Sports Club. On Soi Klongton 41 just off Phra Kanong Rd (Suk Soi 71).

70 baht per day per person. Open 8 am to 10 pm. Ph 02-391-6773.

https://foursquare.com/v/71-sports-club/4bbdeb76593fef3b2e000456

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/%27%27/%2271+Sports+Club%22+Bangkok/@13.7334176,100.5621151,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x30e29fb59ecca101:0x80e692603ef2788f!2m2!1d100.596448!2d13.73342

post-58284-0-87872200-1430665096_thumb.j

----------------------------------------

Sakolpan Sport Club (may previously have been the Bangkok Sport Club)

Soi Pridi Banomyong 42 off of Phra Kanong Rd (Suk Soi 71)

150 baht per person, per day. Mon-Fri 9 am to 2 pm, Sat-Sun Noon to 5 pm

02-381-9649 / 02-391-0563

http://sakolpansportclub.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sakolpan-Sport-Club/160675100659883?sk=info

post-58284-0-23559300-1430665871_thumb.j

------------------------------

Then, there are a couple places that formerly offered day swimming, but now are out of action, either permanently or temporarily.

The Piyarom Sports Club out by the Punnavithi BTS Station, which had a very nice swimming pool and extensive other facilities, was closed and then demolished more than a year ago.

And two hotels that used to offer day swimming are currently closed for renovation, supposedly for at least the next year or two:

--The Grand Tower Inn on Suk Soi 55

--The Imperial Queen's Park Hotel on Suk Soi 22

But, if you want to blow a wad on swimming, there are a fair number of hotels around the center of Bangkok willing to take your cash in exchange for a cool dip:

---------------------------------------

Dusit Thani Hotel at the corner of Silom and Rama IV Roads.

Go to the front desk and ask for using the DFit Fitness Center

600 baht per person, per day for outdoor pool. 7 am to 7 pm daily

http://www.dusit.com/dusitthani/bangkok/default-en.html

http://www.dusit.com/dusitthani/bangkok/facilities-en.html

post-58284-0-17593700-1430667349_thumb.j

--------------------------------

The Olympic Club fitness center at the 8th floor, Pathumwan Princess Hotel, MBK

642 baht per person, per day for access to the roof area pool and gym, sauna, fitness facilities

Bring passport or ID card. Mon-Fri 6 am to 11 pm, Sat-Sun 7 am to 10 pm

http://www.theolympic-club.com/about.asp?language=en

http://www.theolympic-club.com/swimming.asp?language=en

post-58284-0-23284600-1430667766_thumb.j

---------------------------------------

J.W. Marriott Sukhumvit Soi 2

696 baht per day per person for access to their pool and fitness center on the 6th floor.

Pool is open 6 am to 11 pm daily, while the fitness center is open even longer hours.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/bkkdt-jw-marriott-hotel-bangkok/

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/fitness-center/bkkdt-jw-marriott-hotel-bangkok/

post-58284-0-22194500-1430668059_thumb.j

Nice post John and thanks for the info.

I must do a search on here as someone left a gem of a post on a place near Ploen Chit I believe with a 25 metre pool open for public use.

Not sure if the OP was mine or not....I use the condo pool but would be nice to visit a 25m once in a while.

A couple of the challenging things about this task were:

1. not a single one of the places I listed above actually mentions on their website that they're open for day use swimming.

2. Nor accordingly do any of them list what their day use rates are on their websites, which most of them have.

As for Smokie's comment above about the size of different pools, I didn't include that detail in my posts above, because most/all of the pools I listed seem to be pretty much large enough for lap swimming.

But in looking around, I did find this 2007 era post that listed the size of various pools around BKK.

post-58284-0-78329400-1430692423_thumb.j

Most of those on the list I have mentioned above.

Among the others:

--Soi Klang Raquet Club: haven't found any info on that as yet.

--Queen Sirikit Park is a botanical garden up in the Chatuchak area (and is next to Chatuchak Park) with a lot of ponds, but I'm not aware of it having a public swimming pool.

http://www.pattayainformation.com/thailand/central/bangkok/attraction/queen_sirikit_park_bangkok.html

I'm guessing the prior poster was referring to the large public swimming pool at Benjasiri Park next to The Emporium mall that I mentioned above.

--National Stadium near MBK: I mentioned this large government/public pool in my introduction above. I didn't try calling them. But I did find this web blurb describing the place and their prices, though I suspect the writeup is some years old and probably somewhat out of date.

post-58284-0-77403600-1430693875_thumb.j

post-58284-0-34961900-1430694421_thumb.j

--Sports Authority of Thailand - Hua Mak area: same situation as I mentioned above re National Stadium. I didn't try contacting them, but they're still operating AFAIK. The same out-of-date web blurb also had a writeup on the SAT pool.

post-58284-0-78860300-1430694092_thumb.j

Meanwhile, one of the resources I found helpful for updating the list I posted above was this two-page swimming pools resource list from a now-defunct website. But the pages are still available elsewhere, and although out of date, do also mention a couple of other smaller hotel pools that may still be available, particularly on the second webpage. NOTE: the prices and info listed below may have changed!

The utterly charming and quirky Atlanta Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi 2 lays claim to having the oldest hotel pool in Thailand. At 17m and 107 Baht/US$3 per day, the pool offers inner tubes, artificial rain from sprinklers, hammocks, delicious and reasonably-priced food - and suspicious water quality. It’s possible the oldest pool also has the oldest filtering system!

Two hotel pools on the small end: Stable Lodge on Sukhumvit Soi 8 offers use of its 9.5m pool to anyone ordering food or drink from the restaurant. Most dishes and drinks run about 100-200 Baht (US$2.50-5.25).
The pool at Silom Serene on Soi Phipat is a beautiful piece of architecture but, at 8.5 x 3.5m, is too small for serious swimming. Despite the size, it’s still a lovely place for a refreshing dip and the 150 Baht (US$4) daily fee for the pool (which includes the high quality fitness centre) is relatively cheap.

Many apartment buildings also offer pool access to non-residents. Just two examples: for 100 Baht (US$2.50), you can take a dip in the 12.5m pool at the delectably named Boss Tower on Rama 4 in Khlong Toey.

For 300 Baht (US$8), you get a day at Oakwood City Residence’s 20m pool and fitness centre on Sathu Pradit.

Last, and definitely least, is Buddy Beer’s pool on Khao San Road. This 7 x 3 metre pool in an uninspiring setting charges desperate backpackers 100 Baht (US$2.50) to wallow in the crowded water and deck area. Unless mixing with bikini-clad Scandinavians or discussions of Koh Phangan are top priorities, this one certainly belongs last on the list.

http://www.offtherails.com/bigsplash.html

http://www.offtherails.com/bigsplash2.html

Among those locations that above website mentions was The Landmark Hotel on Sukhumvit Road near Soi 6. I called and spoke with The Landmark, and their customer service staff insisted that their pool was only available for hotel guests and they didn't have any pay for day use arrangement. They are affiliated there with the Fitness First center on-site, and I haven't checked whether Fitness First may provide access to the Landmark's pool.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1416661628.583047.jpg

This one, the Sofitel So Bangkok Hotel at 2 N. Sathorn Rd., I called and confirmed about their day use swimming.

And thus far, they take the cake, or pool, as the most expensive day use swimming place I've found as yet -- 700 baht per person (not sure if that's net or ++), per day for adult. Hotel staff said their pools is open from 6 am to 10 pm daily.

post-58284-0-14588300-1430698884_thumb.j

Meanwhile, figuring there might be a similar policy, I called and spoke with the new Sofitel Sukhumvit Hotel. And they said they do NOT offer day use swimming, though they do have a once a month "pool party" for 1295 baht net per person that usually runs from about 2 pm to 8 pm on the first Sat. of the month.

However, because the focus here is on swimming opportunities, I made no effort to track down all the various pool parties that various hotels may have on offer.

Jeez, looking at the price they are.charging, u might as well pay a bit more in rent 4 a condo with a pool !!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Jeez, looking at the price they are.charging, u might as well pay a bit more in rent 4 a condo with a pool !!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, there is quite a range of prices.

But, if you look at the first couple posts I did, you'll see a couple Thai fitness places at Phra Kanong for peanuts per day, and the large Thai government public pools also charge even fewer peanuts (though their hours and procedures aren't especially accommodating).

There also were a couple hotel options for 200-300 baht per day per person. That's not TOO bad, IMHO, especially just for an occasional user.

If you want the fancy hotels, you're gonna pay fancy hotel prices....

If someone wanted to be a regular/every day swimmer, a lot of the fitness center places have monthly or longer memberships that would work out better than daily fees.

Re the subject of renting a condo with a pool, the thing about most of the places listed above is they tend to have up to 25 meter long pools and a couple of the government places are even 50 meters, which are good for lap swimmers, whereas the typical condo or apartment is likely to have smaller facilities.

A small addendum:

The British Club of Bangkok on Surawongse Rd. has a large 25 meter swimming pool and a children's pool that are open to club members and their families. Dues for club membership, however, are kind of pricey.

However, if you have a friend who's a member of the club, they have a guest 1-day temporary member pass that runs 432 baht for a single person or 720 baht for a family. The club will want to see the applicant's passport and have the friend sign he/she/them in on the registration form.

post-58284-0-09510900-1430929602_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Had some updated info available on public pools around BKK...

One is re the previously mentioned BMA public pool at Benjasiri Park, adjacent to the Phom Phrong BTS Station. The wife and I went there today to renew our swimming membership cards with them, very cheap and not difficult to do. They have a 25-meter, 1.5 meter deep pool that looked pretty good/clean during our visit today.

To use the pool, you need to apply for and get a one-year membership card from the ladies at the front desk there. 40 baht per person to apply, same farang or Thai, plus 15 baht charge for adults per day use of the pool. Also an extra 10 baht if you want your membership card laminated.

To apply, they'll want a single photocopy of your passport or Thai ID card, a doctor's clearance certificate and two 1 inch photos per person. If you need a local photocopy shop, there's one on the opposite side of Suk Road from the park, about a block in the direction of downtown, beyond the Villa Market there. The Suk Soi 11 medical clinic nearby Charlie Brown's Mexican restaurant does Dr. certificates for 300b per person while you wait.

The pool hours are Monday to Friday 10 am to 7:30 pm, but closed for lunch from noon to 1 pm and a couple other brief closure periods during the day. Weekend and holiday schedule is from 1 pm to 7:30 pm. See the attached images...

post-58284-0-64775900-1433418042_thumb.j post-58284-0-47052400-1433418044_thumb.j

post-58284-0-54732400-1433418050_thumb.j

post-58284-0-37360300-1433418071_thumb.j

post-58284-0-65751000-1433418082_thumb.j

Also, for anyone out near the Hua Mak Airport Rail Link station area, there's a really nice set of pools located inside the Property Perfect housing development located adjoining the Stamford University Bangkok campus there.

Although they don't advertise as being public, in talking with the staff there, they said they are open to public swimming for the fee of 150 baht per person per visit, even though their paperwork seems to suggest 200 baht per visit. No cards or memberships or documents. Just pay the fee and go inside for swimming. The pools are part of a fitness center complex there that, I gather, is mainly intended for residents in the surrounding housing development. The pools are open 6 days a week, but closed every Tuesday.

The wife and I swam there last week and enjoyed it a lot. They actually have two different large pools that look to be 25 meters: 1 that's an unheated, and mostly covered straight rectangular swimming laps type pool that's 1.2 meters deep, and 2. then they have a oddly shaped heated pool that's totally uncovered and seems more oriented to recreation. The water in the laps pool seemed perfectly clean, but the water in the recreation pool had some leaves and other stuff floating because the perimeter of the pool is lined with decorative vegetation.

Inside the adjoining fitness center building they have bathrooms and showers with soap and shampoo, lockers although no locks, etc. The staff at the fitness center there seem to speak little to no English, so speaking some Thai or having a Thai speaker along is going to be helpful. PS - the water in the pool photos below looks a bit dark, but that's just because the photos were taken late afternoon as the sun was setting.

The only issue about the pools there is, once you get to Hua Mak Airport Rail Link, there are limited options for traveling the rest of the way to the pools. You can take a motorcycle taxi if you're willing, or a regular taxi from the station to the pool for about a 5-10 minute drive, 40 baht fare. The problem is more on the return, since there's really no motorcycle or regular taxis sitting around inside the Property Perfect development. So you kind of have to walk 5 mins or so out to the main road (Motorway Road) to catch one heading back to Hua Mak ARL or elsewhere. It's too far to walk from the pools back to Hua Mak ARL.

post-58284-0-73182800-1433421372_thumb.j post-58284-0-64396700-1433421375_thumb.j

post-58284-0-71284000-1433421378_thumb.j

post-58284-0-87528900-1433421379_thumb.j

Thanks for that John....especially the med cert bit that has stopped me visiting before.

Took the wife and I about 5 mins each at the Suk Soi 11 side-soi clinic.

The staff there took longer filling out the med certificate form than the doctor did with us... Walked in, sat down on his chair, he put the stethoscope on my chest and back to listen a couple times/places, and then done. Easy-peasy.