Lonely Planet demands payment for hotel listing

Xa1

I heard this from a reliable hotel owner in Chiang Mai. LP wanted 100 USD to list the guest house in their next edition.

I add this to my own experience that the 2014 edition was still using 2009 price info about Phnom Penh.

Edited by Xa1

The out of date prices isn't a surprise, I think it's easier sometimes to go with the info you have rather than trounce around looking at each and every place

Better to say 'such and such looked nice but more expensive' rather than go in and check. I haven't seen one of their books for years and years now though. One aspect that was very useful were their maps of each town

They'd write something nice about a small restaurant and you'd walk past and it'd be full of foreigners all eating in there. I always wondered about them getting money

Really? I find this difficult to believe.

Joe Cumnings would be turning in his grave...if he were dead of course.

As for the 'my guidebook isn't 100% accurate' argument. It's a guide and the clue is in the name.

Haha, Joe Cummings, that's the guy. He's like the 'traveller' god of thailand

I remember some old books with insets saying 'hey, don't give the hill tribe people t-shirts, it's ruining the culture, etc etc' ... yeah, alright, Joe, I'll save Thailand mate. Not sure if you noticed but the markets even in small towns are full of Man United shirts and all sorts :D

It was all part of this 'let's keep it the way it is' mentality, i.e. cheap. These backpackers wanted to go to some deserted paradise but they also wanted to be able to catch the bus from Khao San Road! They want to drink in a cheap bar near the sea but if that bar made money they didn't want it expanding so they could make more money .. no, stay poor, so when I come for a couple of weeks it's exactly how I want!! *tsk*

• Like 1

The out of date prices isn't a surprise, I think it's easier sometimes to go with the info you have rather than trounce around looking at each and every place

Better to say 'such and such looked nice but more expensive' rather than go in and check. I haven't seen one of their books for years and years now though. One aspect that was very useful were their maps of each town

They'd write something nice about a small restaurant and you'd walk past and it'd be full of foreigners all eating in there. I always wondered about them getting money

Fast operators would always try to get advance notice of which restaurants and accommodations were about to be well reviewed in an oncoming issue and either buy them out or get control somehow and then milk the hoard of tourists who would follow. Now, with the plethora of websites providing up to date info, not so widespread.

I don't think LP charges for listings per se, but do charge for listing enhancement such as bolder type or maybe even page placement.

Considering publishing layout, printing and distribution lead time, most guidebooks are two years out of date the day they hit the shelves.

Edited by dddave

100 usd to get a listing?LP works with regional managers en they do not sleep in cheap hotels in khoa san but in rather five star luxery resorts and they rely heavely on feedback from travelers,so i call bs on youre friend from Chiang Mai.

I am a hotel owner and I would pay Lonely Planet US $100 to be listed. But in their books it is very clearly stated that listings are not for sale. People researching for Lonely Planet by the way are paid barely enough to finance their traveling. A few years back there was a scandal about a writer researching a South American country, and later they found out he didn't go there at all. OP, did your hotel owner friend verify that this person really worked for LP? Anyway he should report this matter to LP.

• Like 1

LP never used to charge. Sometimes hotels would upgrade you and forget the bill for known reviewers when you left or restauraunts not charge you but no fees.

Problem with LP is that when the place went in the review was ok. A year later more people come so they think they are good and up the charges and drop the food quality as they must be too cheap as they are getting lots of people. Places rarely come out so in many cases if the place had been in for a while it was a sign that it may be a good one to stay away from.

I am a hotel owner and I would pay Lonely Planet US $100 to be listed.

Add your place to openstreetmap.org, costs nothing.

Sure, and tx for the link. But even now, a listing in a popular guide book still brings far more customers than any online listing. My place is listed in a very popular guide book in German, it brings a steady stream of customers.

I am a hotel owner and I would pay Lonely Planet US $100 to be listed. But in their books it is very clearly stated that listings are not for sale. People researching for Lonely Planet by the way are paid barely enough to finance their traveling. A few years back there was a scandal about a writer researching a South American country, and later they found out he didn't go there at all. OP, did your hotel owner friend verify that this person really worked for LP? Anyway he should report this matter to LP.

LP has lost a lot of money over the past few years. LP is plainly a commercial business in Thailand and they give awards out and certainly not for free:

https://www.facebook.com/LonelyPlanetThailand?pnref=story

BTW I know the founder of LP: Tony Wheeler and he is happy he washed his hands on LP dumping it off to BBC who sold it off to an American group

Edited by MobileContent

I am a hotel owner and I would pay Lonely Planet US $100 to be listed.

Add your place to openstreetmap.org, costs nothing.

Sure, and tx for the link. But even now, a listing in a popular guide book still brings far more customers than any online listing. My place is listed in a very popular guide book in German, it brings a steady stream of customers.

But only German ones tongue.pngtongue.png

I think Lonely Planet, Tripadvisor and things of that ilk are being rapidly bypassed by the young, tech-savvy millennials that harvest information and advice from a much broader source than a company that still prints books, hosts dated and irrelevant reviews and the newer ones that buy up any travel-related website just to add to their stable and look more worldly. Younger people these days people use social media, blogs and even some pretty nifty smartphone applications for real-time information from fellow travelers. A couple of backpackers on Khaosan have a sudden urge to go see pagodas in Burma use Facebook and blogs to get fast, accurate and even 'live' advice.They don't browse digital pages on old fashioned travel guides looking for someone else's irrelevant experience or something that fits.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

I know from another popular travel book that they collect every year a fee from at least some resorts. Friend of mine was scuba dive instructor at the resort and knew both the hotel owner and the book writer and was there when the exchange of money happened.