Indonesian Kretek Cigarettes?

Rasseru

A topic of no interest at all, perhaps, to anyone other than me, but I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of a place in or around Chiangmai where I might be able to get my hands on some of these.

If you do not know what kretek cigarettes are, my explaining will probably not help you to help me, but if only to avoid the risk of anyone mistakenly thinking I am referring to an obscure and possibly illegal drug, I will. They are a kind of tobacco cigarette, laced with clove for flavoring. Nothing illicit or illegal about them at all. :o

Edited by Rasseru

A topic of no interest at all, perhaps, to anyone other than me, but I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of a place in or around Chiangmai where I might be able to get my hands on some of these.

If you do not know what kretek cigarettes are, my explaining will probably not help you to help me, but if only to avoid the risk of anyone mistakenly thinking I am referring to an obscure and possibly illegal drug, I will. They are a kind of tobacco cigarette, laced with clove for flavoring. Nothing illicit or illegal about them at all. :o

just got back from duty free langkawi yesterday and back to chiang mai today from KL. I would have picked up a carton of gudang garam for you if this thread came up earlier. not bad cigs actually. sweet taste to it.

as for getting them in chiang mai. no idea but lots of local experts here to help you in the right direction.

just got back from duty free langkawi yesterday and back to chiang mai today from KL. I would have picked up a carton of gudang garam for you if this thread came up earlier.

Thank you very much for what I take to be a kind offer to pick up a carton for me on your next trip, if the trail turns cold here in Chiangmai! :o

Edited by Rasseru

looks like no one with that information huh???? perhaps a trip down to malaysia on your next visa run might be a good idea??? airasia's cnx-kul is a pretty good flight.

Thanks. Nice job of making me feel unfortunate that I do not have to make visa runs!

Rasseru, I will be going through KLIA on the 15th but not into town. If the cigs you want are available there I'll pick you up carton but I'll also be having my first beers for 6 weeks so no cursing if I forget please.

I am in your debt for the offer alone, so certainly no cursing if you forget. If there is a choice, I would prefer filterless. I only smoke one a day (one cigarette, that is, not one pack), so you needn't worry about what it will do to my lungs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
So to resurrect this old thread, does anybody have any leads on finding clove cigs in Chiang Mai? Specifically I'm looking for Djarum Blacks?

Perhaps others will have ideas, but I have never found any kreteks for sale in Chiangmai. I get by personally through the kindness of a friend who picks up a carton in Indonesia for me from time to time.

So to resurrect this old thread, does anybody have any leads on finding clove cigs in Chiang Mai? Specifically I'm looking for Djarum Blacks?

Perhaps others will have ideas, but I have never found any kreteks for sale in Chiangmai. I get by personally through the kindness of a friend who picks up a carton in Indonesia for me from time to time.

I know a number of places in BKK but your right I have never seen in CM. Next time I 'drive' down I will pick up as many as I can fit and I will post here once i have them (maybe 2-3 weeks time)

i heard from someone that there are kreteks at some "second hand" market near the rincome junction (huay kaew and nimmanhaemin), but i've never been to any second hand market there - or rather i have, but about five years ago. now the area's all walled off. maybe on the north side of huay kaew, west of nimmanhaemin?

I also love kreteks , never could find them in Chiangmai .

I would also be happy to know where I could find them in Bangkok ,

in a couple of weeks I will visit Bangkok , and some kreteks will

give a smile on my face , where oh where ! :o

I also love kreteks , never could find them in Chiangmai .

I would also be happy to know where I could find them in Bangkok ,

in a couple of weeks I will visit Bangkok , and some kreteks will

give a smile on my face , where oh where ! :o

They can be found in Huay Kwang Night Market, On Rachada Rd, There is also a shop in Silom... I forget the name of the actual soi but its in the area with a lot Japenese Shops... Oppisite the Irish Pub. They sell absolutly every type of cigs you can imagine

i heard from someone that there are kreteks at some "second hand" market near the rincome junction (huay kaew and nimmanhaemin), but i've never been to any second hand market there - or rather i have, but about five years ago. now the area's all walled off. maybe on the north side of huay kaew, west of nimmanhaemin?

They can indeed be found at the Rincome night market. I found them there last night. Thanks for the help.

I'm in Penag right this very moment, and though I don't smoke (tobackee, that is), I'd be happy to grab a pack or carton for anybody who needs 'em back in CM, you just might wanna buy me a beer for services rendered when we meet up though. Just PM me and specify the brand to buy. I head out early afternoon tmw (Thurs, 6/12) and will have time to get 'em between Indian food stall and Nyonya grazing. I think there's a 2 carton limit or something so first come first served!