Toyota rolls out world's first mass market fuel-cell car

Why did they have to go and make it look so futuristic? It might be OK in photos when you're not considering buying one, but really, that thing would be embarrassing to drive.

Hyundai did much better with the 2013 ix35 Fuel Cell, IMHO - a normal looking mid-size SUV that runs on Hydrogen.

http://worldwide.hyundai.com/WW/Showroom/Eco/ix35-Fuel-Cell/PIP/index.html

Fuel Cells are a way to generate portable, high density energy. Needed, but at a cost of energy loss invested from elsewhere. Build enough solar cells to generate the hydrogen and power all the homes, offices, and enough energy to assemble replacement solar energy ... and then too the fuel cells for transportation. Do you understand “Net Energy”? It is often stated as EROEI (Energy Returned On Energy Invested.) Just 5 min.

is an excellent video comparing the quality of energy source options. It and
are by Chris Martenson (PhD Chemist / MBA) are short, well explained analyses of our physical world's impact on the coming economy.

BTW, Peak Oil is real. Humans are consuming a finite resource at an incredibly fast rate. As with any oil-field, there comes a time when the productivity rate of the field declines. So too the cumulative sum of all oil fields.
The current debate over oil supplies, coal supplies, etc. is NOT that they will run out (they won’t.) Rather, serious analysis is over what we can afford to do with the energy we do extract, since all agree that the prices will go higher. Will rich nations buy up and utilize accessible energy at prices few people or companies in poorer nations can access? Good analysis are also available via sites like:
  • The Oil Drum (… seeks to facilitate civil, evidence-based discussions about energy and its impacts on the future of humanity, as well as serve as a leading online knowledge-base for energy-related topics. ) and
  • EnergyInsights (Oil price news, oil and gas analysis, energy supply & demand, oil technology – Energy Insights brings you the latest energy news, and our own detailed analysis of oil and gas reserves, production and consumption)
  • Like 1

Sales will begin in Japan on December 15, 2014, in areas where hydrogen stations are in place. Toyota wil put the car on sale in the U.S. in autumn, and in Europe in September 2015. Obviously not a car intended for use in 3rd world countries.

Design needs more work. Honda FCS is due out in early 2016. Compare its design to Toyota. Both look like Transformers.

post-171049-0-62633800-1416363398_thumb.

Now that's fugly! Looks like Honda stepped back and forward at the same time and redesigned the fugly Insight, why is it they need to have the wheel openings covered? Rhetorical question I know why they do it but really it looks terrible IMO for the little improvement in aero drag I don't see it being worth the cars aesthetics.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Right so which is it? You're post is a bit of a contradiction, you're conservative or sporty and why not this since it's more sporty if that's your leanings?

I think you might be mixing up your posters - It was puke at first sight for me, and still is :)

No I'm not, you are comparing the Prius and it's style with this and they are completely different markets, models and styles one is practical and vanilla and the other is sportier and more stylish.

Edited by WarpSpeed

No I'm not, you are comparing the Prius and it's style with this and they are completely different markets, models and styles one is practical and vanilla and the other is sportier and more stylish.

My point is simple: once again, Toyota have made a new "green" car that's horrifically styled and anyone with gentlemen bits between their legs wouldn't be seen dead in ;)

Even half-girl DiCaprio ditched his Prius for something a little more manly looking as soon as he had the chance :P

My point is simple: once again, Toyota have made a new "green" car that's horrifically styled and anyone with gentlemen bits between their legs wouldn't be seen dead in wink.png

Even half-girl DiCaprio ditched his Prius for something a little more manly looking as soon as he had the chance tongue.png

I am going to w00t.gif you lot.......I think the ride is very adventurous for Toyota and folk might be tempted by it. Here I seem to read a lot about Toyota stuff being boring but this ride to me is not boring..smile.png

• Like 2

My point is simple: once again, Toyota have made a new "green" car that's horrifically styled and anyone with gentlemen bits between their legs wouldn't be seen dead in wink.png

Even half-girl DiCaprio ditched his Prius for something a little more manly looking as soon as he had the chance tongue.png

I am going to w00t.gif you lot.......I think the ride is very adventurous for Toyota and folk might be tempted by it. Here I seem to read a lot about Toyota stuff being boring but this ride to me is not boring..smile.png

I'd probably be more shocked if you made an anti-Toyota post :P

I'd probably be more shocked if you made an anti-Toyota post tongue.png

Noooooooo, I hate Toyota saloons, drove them back home sad.png My truck thing is PURELY reliability..thumbsup.gif . This car in question really brings them out of the closet, BUT, I might hate it to drive ..smile.png

Ok they develop a car that's only going to put out water at the exhaust....so why not collect the water in a tank and have a pipe that runs up behind the dash and through the air con unit to a dispenser tap so the folks can draw a nice cool glass as they travel along. KISS

• Like 1

Not sure why IMHO is giving you a like for this, as it is in agreement with me, but hey! I haven't really understood his juxtaposition on this topic so far anyway blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_.pngcrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif .

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

Har to believe..but look online.

Since 2006 in the US is a kit selling for $500 that makes any gasoline engine to run in just water....and I installed in a 84 Toyota Corolla with the help of a Mexican mechanic....The car cannot run legally in the US but still running in Mexico....Yes..just with water.

The inventor of the system was assesinated in 2008 after trying to patent and sell the system. The kit is so simple, that can be emulated with domestic adaptations, and I believe that the installation manual can be uploaded online on PDF, like I did in 2006.

The oil corporations will sabotage any intent to ruin its business....like its did in 1998 with the GM Saturn full electric car.

• 2 weeks later...

Since 2006 in the US is a kit selling for $500 that makes any gasoline engine to run in just water....and I installed in a 84 Toyota Corolla with the help of a Mexican mechanic....The car cannot run legally in the US but still running in Mexico....Yes..just with water.

The inventor of the system was assesinated in 2008 after trying to patent and sell the system. The kit is so simple, that can be emulated with domestic adaptations, and I believe that the installation manual can be uploaded online on PDF, like I did in 2006.

The oil corporations will sabotage any intent to ruin its business....like its did in 1998 with the GM Saturn full electric car.

No you didn't....

perhaps http://phys.org/news/2014-02-proton-battery-advances-hydrogen-power.html

• 2 months later...