North Korea: UN moves closer to ICC human rights probe

webfact

North Korea: UN moves closer to ICC human rights probe

(BBC) A UN committee has called for the Security Council to refer North Korea to the International Criminal Court over its human rights record.

It passed a motion for a probe into alleged crimes against humanity committed by the Pyongyang authorities.

The motion, passed by the human rights committee, still needs to be voted on by the General Assembly itself.

A groundbreaking UN report released in February revealed ordinary North Koreans face "unspeakable atrocities".

The UN Commission of Inquiry detailed wide-ranging abuses in North Korea after hearing evidence of torture, political repression and other crimes.

It led to Tuesday's non-binding vote, which was passed with 111 countries in favour and 19 against, with 55 abstentions.

China and Russia, which hold veto power on the Security Council, voted against the motion.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30107489

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-19

Homer post # 4

This is a strong negotiating lever and definitely should not be dismissed as a pointless task.

As is in the case of Mrs. Palm and her five daughters too.whistling.gif

China and Russia, which hold veto power on the Security Council, voted against the motion.

Of course they did. What a surprise...NOT. Anything the sane countries in the world see as despicable and against humanity is perfectly OK with these two countries and always will be. I wonder who the other 9 countries were...certainly countries to never set foot in. It's unbelievable to me how anyone could side with North Korea.

• Like 1

Of course they did. What a surprise...NOT. Anything the sane countries in the world see as despicable and against humanity is perfectly OK with these two countries and always will be. I wonder who the other 9 countries were...certainly countries to never set foot in. It's unbelievable to me how anyone could side with North Korea.

Because you are subject to relentless propaganda.

It could easily be asked, "How could anyone side with Saudi Arabia?" But we in the West do consistently.

I am not defending North Korea, but you need to look behind the simplistic tales we are fed and consider how North Korea continues to exist after 60 odd years of tyranny. I'll give you a clue, C***a.

• Like 1

It could easily be asked, "How could anyone side with Saudi Arabia?" But we in the West do consistently.

I am not defending North Korea, but you need to look behind the simplistic tales we are fed and consider how North Korea continues to exist after 60 odd years of tyranny. I'll give you a clue, C***a.

Yes, I'm just a senseless idiot with no education which will listen to whatever anyone else says and have no thoughts of my own. You know me so well.

There is always someone ready to be contrary, because they love to push buttons. There is nothing in this earth that is good about the North Korean government and never will be with the genetic, power hungry misfits who run that country. I feel sorry for the ordinary people who had the misfortune to be born there.

I think you should go visit North Korea and give us all the scoop on how wrong most of the world has been about this country. Please go.

Edited by oneday

Yes, I'm just a senseless idiot with no education which will listen to whatever anyone else says and have no thoughts of my own. You know me so well.

There is always someone ready to be contrary, because they love to push buttons. There is nothing in this earth that is good about the North Korean government and never will be with the genetic, power hungry misfits who run that country. I feel sorry for the ordinary people who had the misfortune to be born there.

I think you should go visit North Korea and give us all the scoop on how wrong most of the world has been about this country. Please go.

I answered your question which showed a failure to understand regional groupings.

Your retort shows you are peeved at that.

In your first paragraph, you resorted to ridiculous sarcasm.

In your second paragraph, you indirectly attack me and then back away.

In your third paragraph, you construct a straw man deliberately misrepresenting what I said.

Back on topic, North Korea exists because it suits China. China could pull the plug on North Korea any time it wanted to and I believe that one day it will. But for now anything that seriously undermines the North Korean regime, such as these charges of crimes against humanity, will be blocked by China and any other countries which are allied against the West may well vote against them to.

• Like 1