Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I get the 12 months extension, can I get another one after 1 year?

As things stand at present, no. But who knows at the present time by how much HMPO may move the goalposts further over the next 12 months and possibly allow this by then (oops, apologies for the metaphorical ref to football!)?

'if I get the 12 months extension, can I get another one year after 1 year?'

That is the exact same question that I dread Allardyce asking David Sullivan.

One of my kids' passports is running out soon too. Would you advise getting her one at the same time. She is 11 and also has a Thai passport.

I ask because we're not planning in going anywhere(as a family) for at least a couple of years. If she went to the UK, she wouldn't need a UK passport.

If she were without a UK passport for a couple of years, would it cause any problems when applying for a new one?

If I get the 12 months extension, can I get another one after 1 year?

As things stand at present, no. But who knows at the present time by how much HMPO may move the goalposts further over the next 12 months and possibly allow this by then (oops, apologies for the metaphorical ref to football!)?

'if I get the 12 months extension, can I get another one year after 1 year?'

That is the exact same question that I dread Allardyce asking David Sullivan.

What are you talking about?

One of my kids' passports is running out soon too. Would you advise getting her one at the same time. She is 11 and also has a Thai passport.

I ask because we're not planning in going anywhere(as a family) for at least a couple of years. If she went to the UK, she wouldn't need a UK passport.

If she were without a UK passport for a couple of years, would it cause any problems when applying for a new one?

No, absolutely not, it's up to you when you decide to renew it.

I am in the same boat as you, have a 6 year old whose passport had expired but because we have no travel plans further than Asia I couldn't be arsed with it.

• Like 2

Ah, well that makes more sense as I've never heard of a Thai not sleeping before!

I've only ever been on one of these marathon bus journeys once before (I prefer planes) it was around 12 years ago now and ironically was from Phuket to Bangkok. What i recall was a huge very nice VIP bus, very comfortable inside and I believe only had 12 extremely large reclining seats, very comfortable. I wouldn't say that I slept great but definitely got some kip. These things are huge, so find it very hard to believe that pot holes would keep you awake.

The VIP buses you describe cost almost as much as a plane ticket, the 'affordable' ones I use currently have 48 seats.

Ah well, there you go then. You get what you pay for. That trip must have been an absolute hell.

Anyway, glad you got your PP, I'll leave you in peace now to discuss with the others.

Pattaya Pat OUT.

You still here Victor

I thought by now you would be getting geared up to post bashing Alan Curbishley on the football forum or knuckle dusting all comers at your favorite bar on the dark side

Don't worry, he's already bashed someone for showing off about having a child on another forum. Alive and well.

I will hopefully collect my passport soon from Trendy but this whole sorry saga has raised many questions looking ahead.

The main one for me is what options (especially considering the new overstay rules) do we have for passport replacement for whatever reason (loss, damage, theft) if we are deep into our permission to stay?

I have avoided overstay because I was able to plan well ahead and will still only just get out in time.

If I were to lose my passport say on a border run to Laos what on earth would my options be other than an emergency passport back to the Uk which could end up costing a fortune?

The other option is overstay while awaiting the replacement

which if caught could mean a 5 year ban from my family.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 7.5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by parryhandy
  • Like 2

I will hopefully collect my passport soon from Trendy but this whole sorry saga has raised many questions looking ahead.

The main one for me is what options (especially considering the new overstay rules) do we have for passport replacement for whatever reason (loss, damage, theft) if we are deep into our permission to stay?

I have avoided overstay because I was able to plan well ahead and will still only just get out in time.

If I were to lose my passport say on a border run to Laos what on earth would my options be other than an emergency passport back to the Uk which could end up costing a fortune?

The other option is overstay while awaiting the replacement

which if caught could mean a 5 year ban from my family.

Why would a trip back to the UK cost you a 'fortune'? Would you fly first class?

it would cost minimum of 2k pounds. Do you think 2k is a reasonable amount to pay for a new passport?

You can get a decent flight with say Etihad for 700 quid and a new passport is 100 quid. Stay with family or a friend for a few days. Where you getting 2k from?

Thanks for that I needed a good laugh.

We should propose Head of HMPO Mr.Paul 'No Problem Pugh' for the Nobel Prize for Literature 2014 for this complation of lies, damn lie and statistics.

Few choice snippets:

Year-end target

Year to date to March 2014

Achieved/Not achieved

Deliver 90.00% of certificates within target

90.00%

94.30%

A

Process 99.50% of straightforward passport applications within 10 working days (customer service pledge: 100.00% of straightforward passports were delivered within 15 days)

99.50%

99.58%

A

Where additional information is required from customers, process passport applications within 29 working days

93.00%

97.14%

A

Premium passport applications processed within 4 hours; Fast Track passport applications processed within 7 days

99.50%

99.80%

A

clap2.gif

Looking forward to seeing next year's figures.

In February 2014 Teleperformance were awarded the new contract as our contact centre provider.

These are the idiots that run the HMPO UK 'Helpline', which should be renamed the HMPO UK 'Nohelpline'.

We completed the repatriation to the UK of passport application processing for overseas applicants, taking this over from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).

'completed the repatriation to the UK of' that's a new civil service way of saying 'completely f..ked up UK'

Finally, in the words of HMPO Boss My Paul Pugh: "In 2014-15, we will continue to be guided by our core purpose; to provide accurate and secure records of key events and trusted passport services. We have refreshed our five principles – Trusted and Secure, Value, People, Customer Service, and Operational Focus – to reflect our renewed focus on public protection. These will be the guiding principles that our key performance measures are based upon and that our people work towards."

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

Cough, cough, splutter...choking on my LEO. Bet he's really proud of himself and if the powers that be believe that crock of cockandarse, then all we have to look forward to in the future is more of the same (if not worse) "service". Any mention of overseas applications in the stats? I will check to see, when and if I can be arsed. Better than Deadenders this 555.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Can you get photo´s taken at the VFS office where they process the documentation for passports? (photo booth, whatever)

I ask as I am having difficulty finding a photographer that can take a photo with the required dimensions, and the photo is for an 8 month old child.

Is my work permit proof of my address? Or can I use my Yellow house registration, which is not my real address!

Not listed by HMPO as a confirmation option and do you really want to pay to get it all translated into English?

Much better a letter from your employer, in English, this HMPO definitely will accept.

I took along my WP and other work related papers as proof, of course trendy were not interested and I did not provide any copies of these to HMPO, just the original letter.

it would cost minimum of 2k pounds. Do you think 2k is a reasonable amount to pay for a new passport?

No it is not. But would you not have felt considerably more riled had HMPO's bungling incompetence resulted in your overstaying and, hence, being forcibly separated from your family for 5 years under the new immigration rules?

• Like 1

It would be much more difficult for your child travelling to the UK on a Thai Passport (visa would be required, etc.).

Being without a passport for a couple of years won't cause any problem for your daughter when you re-apply.

Wait long enough and you can get a ten year one rather than a five.

Can you get photo´s taken at the VFS office where they process the documentation for passports? (photo booth, whatever)

I ask as I am having difficulty finding a photographer that can take a photo with the required dimensions, and the photo is for an 8 month old child.

I recall someone saying in an earlier post that there is a photo booth at With-It Towers.

hello! just seen the fee has been deducted from my account, does this mean that the application was successful and the passport is being processed? :D

Err, no. You do however at least know it has arrived and you've jumped the first hurdle. Unless there is a problem you will hear nothing more until Trendy contact you. This means different things to different people. I didn't like any of the not knowing. Think roughly 2 months from now. Sad, but true. Good luck.

hello! just seen the fee has been deducted from my account, does this mean that the application was successful and the passport is being processed? biggrin.png

It means that they have taken your money and cancelled your old passport in the data base and then stowed your application into an orange box destined to rest for quite some time now in a dusty conference room somewhere in Liverpool.

The actual application checking, unfortunately, will not be until sometime in the next 10 weeks, based on the current trends.

Edited by digitalchromakey

I recall someone saying in an earlier post that there is a photo booth at With-It Towers.

There is a photographers on the RHS as you walk in to Trendy Towers.

Recollect a post saying they only had white backgrounds available, no cream or light grey.

However that poster never came back as to there being any subsequent photo problems raised by HMPO Liverpool.

• Like 1