Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

also..the supporting document info says that it has to be an official letter from your employer...do i ask my boss to write a letter to me (so it has my address) or a headed letter saying i work for this company and my address is blah blah blah??

You need a letter from your employer on headed stationary, addressed to 'To whom it may concern' confirming your name and address, when and where employed with company plus company stamp/signature.

Neiher trendy (nor HMPO) will not be interested at all in seeing a WP.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

also..the supporting document info says that it has to be an official letter from your employer...do i ask my boss to write a letter to me (so it has my address) or a headed letter saying i work for this company and my address is blah blah blah??

You need a letter from your employer on headed stationary, addressed to 'To whom it may concern' confirming your name and address, when and where employed with company plus company stamp/signature.

Neiher trendy (nor HMPO) will not be interested at all in seeing a WP.

Just to clarify, I noticed a double negative, which was not intended:

Neither trendy (nor HMPO) will be interested at all in seeing a WP.

Edited by digitalchromakey

i got the letter from my boos..she wrote it yesterday..before i got a chence to read my reply...unfortuntaley she hasnt written how long i've been working there...it's also wrritten to me.the reason for this is i assumed it had to be a letter with my address on it.this should be ok..don;t you think?..sorry for my questions guys..its just im worried that if its wrong then they will send it back and that will mean im overstayed ,i still am in a bit of a bind as to what to do about photo i.d.....i wrote a post yeasterday but no one answered it so i'll ask again...somebody told me on another forum on this site (a Titanium Member) that my drivers license would probably be ok even though expired....do i take the risk?...i can't show my old passport as i lost it...that's why i'm applying for a new one...i have a very old one that has been cut at the corners..would that be ok?..does it have to have my thai address on it?

my boss wrote the letter yesterday...its written to me and has my address on it...it doesnt have the time ive been working there though...would it still be ok?.

somebody told me on another forum on this site (a Titanium Member) that my drivers license would probably be ok even though expired....do i take the risk?...i can't show my old passport as i lost it...that's why i'm applying for a new one...i have a very old one that has been cut at the corners..would that be ok?..(i know..i'm repeating myself but i'm really in need of your help guys)

i got the letter from my boos..she wrote it yesterday..before i got a chence to read my reply...unfortuntaley she hasnt written how long i've been working there...it's also wrritten to me.the reason for this is i assumed it had to be a letter with my address on it.this should be ok..don;t you think?..sorry for my questions guys..its just im worried that if its wrong then they will send it back and that will mean im overstayed ,i still am in a bit of a bind as to what to do about photo i.d.....i wrote a post yeasterday but no one answered it so i'll ask again...somebody told me on another forum on this site (a Titanium Member) that my drivers license would probably be ok even though expired....do i take the risk?...i can't show my old passport as i lost it...that's why i'm applying for a new one...i have a very old one that has been cut at the corners..would that be ok?..does it have to have my thai address on it?

If the letter states that it is from your employer, is on letter head and with company stamp/seal and it identifies you and your address, then you should be OK.

HMPO Guidance notes state:

All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address dated within the last year.

Photo Evidence.

Please provide one of the following:

• your British passport (if you are renewing)

• non-British uncancelled passport

• national identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

• driving licence

• any government or local government produced document which includes a photograph as part of the document.

So reading the above text carefully, it appears that the photo ID does not have to be less than one year old, so either your old passport or your expired UK driving license should be ok for this section.

Your Thai address is not necessary on your Photo ID (normally the old passport suffices and this doesn't have your home address per se (It may be on your TM6 slip however)).

Your Thai Driving License should also be ok as well (plus it would have your address printed on the rear as further confirmation).

one last question then i'm done(honest...lol).......my photo background is more white than cream...i'm hoping that this won't be a problem ....are they that strict on photo background?

If I was you mate, I would double check the photo guidelines over again to make sure the size and face measurements etc are acceptable to them.

I know they are very fussy about the photo,and the last thing you want is a delay because your photo is not acceptable

one last question then i'm done(honest...lol).......my photo background is more white than cream...i'm hoping that this won't be a problem ....are they that strict on photo background?

Others seem to have got away with a 'light grey' back ground (aka white in some light).

HMPO Rules specify cream or light grey, best you aim for this.

However, no one yet who supplied photos with 'more whitish' backgrounds has reported a subsequent problem with HMPO Liverpool at the examination stage.

Others seem to have got away with a 'light grey' back ground (aka white in some light).

However, no one yet who supplied photos with 'more whitish' backgrounds has reported a subsequent problem with HMPO Liverpool at the examination stage.

Had my photo taken in the Fuji shop, by the market in Surin. The backgound was a blue curtain. They changed the colour digitally. They assured me it would be ok and that they had done it before with no problems. I sweated it out, but got my passport...eventually. Edited by watso63

Had my photo taken in the Fuji shop, by the market in Surin. The backgound was a blue curtain. They changed the colour digitally. They assured me it would be ok and that they had done it before with no problems. I sweated it out, but got my passport...eventually.

HMPO guidance notes say no photo-shopping - that's the official line.

Your photos must be:

• in colour on plain white photographic paper
  • taken against a plain cream or light grey background
  • identical
  • taken within the last month
  • clear and in focus
  • without any tears or creases
  • unmarked on both sides (unless a photo needs to be countersigned)
  • unaltered by computer software

i have just started filling out the form you need to complete if lose your passport...it asks for my passport number and date of issue...i don't remember these details and can't find out as i lost my passport...has any one had a problem with this when they leave it blank?

i have just started filling out the form you need to complete if lose your passport...it asks for my passport number and date of issue...i don't remember these details and can't find out as i lost my passport...has any one had a problem with this when they leave it blank?

Unless others confirm that there is unlikely to be any problem in leaving the relevant fields blank, I suspect that you might be best advised to cross the "Other" box (instead of the "Stolen" one) in the LSO1 form and briefly state in the details boxes that it was stolen and you can no longer remember the number or issue date.

HMPO guidance notes say no photo-shopping - that's the official line.

Your photos must be:

• in colour on plain white photographic paper
  • taken against a plain cream or light grey background
  • identical
  • taken within the last month
  • clear and in focus
  • without any tears or creases
  • unmarked on both sides (unless a photo needs to be countersigned)
  • unaltered by computer software

Hmm, all the more reason for a special trip back to the UK when my passport is next due for renewal (fortunately not before 2023), I think. Not only would I spare myself the With-It Tower nonsense (assuming it's still around then) but also obtaining HMPO-compliant photos would be much easier there than it is here in LOS!

Guys! ( I mean viewers...) I also had my passport renewed recently and with regards to the color background on your photos I sent them a selection of photos with Blue,Grey, Cream. And they used the " Cream one "

Regards,

F.J

• Like 1

Unless others confirm that there is unlikely to be any problem in leaving the relevant fields blank, I suspect that you might be best advised to cross the "Other" box (instead of the "Stolen" one) in the LSO1 form and briefly state in the details boxes that it was stolen and you can no longer remember the number or issue date.

A further thought: did you apply for an extension of stay or submit a 90-day report before your passport went astray? If so, your local immigration office might (hopefully) be able to provide you with the number and issue date.

Alternatively, if you used it to open a bank account they might be able to supply you with the number at least.

Unless you can provide this info in the LSO1 form, I suspect that you are going to have to wait even longer than normal for your replacement passport, which in turn is longer than for a routine renewal which is already unacceptably long in its own right thanks to HMPO's brazen incompetence.

no OJAS..i didnt apply for an extension of stay...but if it's going to delay my application i will look for a photocopy...somewhere must have my passport number.what's the normal turnaround from the time you send it to the time you get it back?...i'm assuming 6 weeks....my visa was issued on the 9th august so 3 months from that date i'll be overstayed...i hope i get it back by then.

regarding photo background.....does this 'trendy building' have a photo booth with a grey background?...can i just go in to use it or do i need an appointment?..everywhere in my area(dusit)has white background..anyone can recommend a place with grey background?

no OJAS..i didnt apply for an extension of stay...but if it's going to delay my application i will look for a photocopy...somewhere must have my passport number.what's the normal turnaround from the time you send it to the time you get it back?...i'm assuming 6 weeks....my visa was issued on the 9th august so 3 months from that date i'll be overstayed...i hope i get it back by then.

regarding photo background.....does this 'trendy building' have a photo booth with a grey background?...can i just go in to use it or do i need an appointment?..everywhere in my area(dusit)has white background..anyone can recommend a place with grey background?

I recall reports earlier in this thread that there is, indeed, a photo booth in With-It Tower that does produce mug shots complying with HMPO's requirments presumably.

It has always struck me as absurd that no worldwide standard exists for passport photos, instead of each country being allowed to do its own thing. After all, practically everything else in a passport is covered by some worldwide standard or other. It would be really nice to be able to walk into a photo shop in LOS and ask for a passport photo which would not only meet the requirements for Thai nationals but also for us Brits. But that would probably be far too sensible and logical, of course!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

I suppose we should rejoice in hearing a report of obtaining the passport in 7 weeks.

Think about it, 7 weeks is also totally unacceptable.

My Myanmar mechanic here in Malaysia got his on the same day as applying.

• Like 1

I suppose we should rejoice in hearing a report of obtaining the passport in 7 weeks.

Think about it, 7 weeks is also totally unacceptable.

My Myanmar mechanic here in Malaysia got his on the same day as applying.

At least it's nearer the 6 weeks bandied about on the GOV.UK website!

But even 6 weeks is unacceptable IMHO. When I renewed my passport 18 months ago via Hong Kong, I received the replacement from the UK after 4 weeks, which was then the target processing period for passport renewals from this part of the world. An acknowledged 50% increase in this period really says it all as far as HMPO's (in)competence is concerned, I feel.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

finally...ive got all the documents and supporting info done...now i have to make an appointment to see someone at the 'trendy building'(i was hoping i could just send it off...but no-that's too easy)...they are asking me for 3 alternate dates... i've put 'i'm available anytime' as i don't want to overstay (my visa runs out 3 months from 07/08/2014)and i'm prepared to have a day off work to sort everything out....will this be ok or do they insist on me putting a date?

hopefully this headache will be over soon

• Like 1

finally...ive got all the documents and supporting info done...now i have to make an appointment to see someone at the 'trendy building'(i was hoping i could just send it off...but no-that's too easy)...they are asking me for 3 alternate dates... i've put 'i'm available anytime' as i don't want to overstay (my visa runs out 3 months from 07/08/2014)and i'm prepared to have a day off work to sort everything out....will this be ok or do they insist on me putting a date?

hopefully this headache will be over soon

trendy do not have the best English language skills in the world. If you don't get a quick reply then email again; keep it super simple and just ask for day 1, 08:30- 16:00, day2,.08:30- 16:00, day 3 08:30- 16:00.

Appointment wait times at trendy unfortunately seem to be getting longer and longer, but there have been a couple of recent reports of a 7 and an 8 week application to collection turn compared to an average, until recently, of 10-12 weeks (worst case of up to 18 weeks to date with flagged issues).

Good luck.......

Edited by digitalchromakey

7-8 weeks...that's crazy.....i'd be on a huge overstay with a waiting time like that......why cant they have a system like a bank where you just get a number and wait your turn...or better still...just send it off to a specified address like most countries.

Do you think Thai immigragion will be understanding when i tell them the reason for my overstay is because i had to wait for an appointment?......i kinda know the answer already,but seriously if i don't laugh...i'll cry

• Like 1

i just checked my e mail...and low and behold...there's an e mail from bangkok HMPO...'wow' i thought-that was quick...maybe there is a god....but no...'this is an automated response -You’ll need to schedule an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.'...well i followed your advice guys..(thanks again) and put day 1, 08:30- 16:00, day2,.08:30- 16:00, day 3 08:30- 16:00 but again...got an automated response...I'm guessing i have to put a specific date as that's what their computer is looking for(i literely got an email response within seconds)

i remember a few years ago-my mate had just had his first baby and he was trying to get the baby a passport..he told me"Thailand's a great country-but if you want anything doing it's a nightmare"..i thought he was just being negative-i must of been on a natural high from my first Thai sandwich massage or something becase now his words echo in my ears like an old wise Jedi master...hopefully 1 day i'll look back on this experience and laugh about it....won't i ????

ok...this is crazy now....i keep getting automated responses..its not like we can choose an ideal date because like you guys say..it takes weeks to get an appointment- i wrote that " i'm available day 1 september 8th 8.30-16.00, day 2 september 9th 8.30-16.00,day 3 september 10th 8.30-16.00 but if you are busy i am available from monday to friday 8.30-16.00". but

what am i doing wrong???