Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

I have written several letters and numerous emails as well as had phone calls back and forth, to complain about item 1 on your list.

Are you taking any action yourself?

Hello soihok,

My list is far too long for a first effort. I would select items 1 & 7 as they reinforce each other. [ If we ever got a result on them I would have a crack at another one].

The first thought, though, is to find an ear that would wish to listen & had the power to influence events; not an easy one, that. As we are disenfranchised, there will be few with influence who would see it to their advantage to take up our cause where it could get traction. It is really this problem for which I need to write 'any ideas'. It would need to be a fairly big hitter: politician, journalist, judge?

If a suitable bod could be indicated I would certainly write. I'm just trying to think who might be suitable & so far I have no name. In a nutshell, who in yUK gives a #### for us?

So, 'any ideas, please'?

regards to all,

Euca.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cross Post http://www.richardbarrow.com

peter emmett

August 11, 2014 at 7:00 am

Hi After ten weeks my passport is ready to collect at trendy bangkok

i have read that a letter is required for imigration to transfer your

extension of stay to your new passport. Can i get this at trendy when i collect my passport or is it an embasy trip. Thanks . pete

Trendy don't do the letter, you need it from the Consular Section of the Embassy in BKK, but note that they shut at 11:00 for applications.

I did mine by purely by email, they need scans of old/new passport ID pages plus details of current extension, last entry to Thailand, last visa, re-entry permit. address.

Transfer letter pro forma was sent by next day EMS to my home address.

Not all Immigration Departments ask for this letter.

Kap Choeng never asked for it, best to get the number of your IO and ask what you need first.

But if it's the same IO who subsequently processes your stamps transfer, there's a risk of them recanting the advice they gave you over the phone if they got out of bed on a different side on the day of your trip to their office to the side they got out of on the day when you called them.

IMHO better to err on the side of caution and obtain the Embassy letter (template attached) regardless. It won't cost a bean in any event.

post-63387-0-88206300-1407818864_thumb.j

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

I have written several letters and numerous emails as well as had phone calls back and forth, to complain about item 1 on your list.

Hello soihok,

My list is far too long for a first effort. I would select items 1 & 7 as they reinforce each other. [ If we ever got a result on them I would have a crack at another one].

The first thought, though, is to find an ear that would wish to listen & had the power to influence events; not an easy one, that. As we are disenfranchised, there will be few with influence who would see it to their advantage to take up our cause where it could get traction. It is really this problem for which I need to write 'any ideas'. It would need to be a fairly big hitter: politician, journalist, judge?

If a suitable bod could be indicated I would certainly write. I'm just trying to think who might be suitable & so far I have no name. In a nutshell, who in yUK gives a #### for us?

So, 'any ideas, please'?

regards to all,

Euca.

Here is a link to the full HMPO Complaints procedure:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-passport-office/about/complaints-procedure

Note that the HMPO Helpline number is run by a private company called Teleperformance (not HMPO) and is generally a waste of both breath and money, since the majority of operators appear to be clueless knowing less about overseas passport issue procedures that either you or I.

First sensible stop is an email to [email protected], then write to Newport, then escalate as per the linked HMPO document.

Irony is if you get to the top of the escalation tree you get to go to your constituency MP, I don't have one having been out of the UK for 15 years. However write to the MP representing the area where you used to live. Rather conveniently my 'constituency MP' also happens rather appropriately to now be the Foreign Secretary, so in due course I will doubtless enjoy running off a missive to him.

Good hunting!

I know that this change will seem inconvenient, but the new measures being put in place support the wider public protection, helping to ensure that the risks of fraud and identity theft are minimised for those living and working overseas.

It's a pity the same isn't applied to people living in the UK. They send your passport out by non-registered post in a passport-sized envelope that says "HM Passport Office" in massive letters. Remember when posties used to nick credit cards out of envelopes? Now the dishonest ones can easily nick passports and sell them on...

Irony is if you get to the top of the escalation tree you get to go to your constituency MP, I don't have one having been out of the UK for 15 years. However write to the MP representing the area where you used to live. Rather conveniently my 'constituency MP' also happens rather appropriately to now be the Foreign Secretary, so in due course I will doubtless enjoy running off a missive to him.

This is the main reason why I have recently decided to re-register for voting in the constituency where I lived prior to moving out here nearly 6 years ago!

I know that this change will seem inconvenient, but the new measures being put in place support the wider public protection, helping to ensure that the risks of fraud and identity theft are minimised for those living and working overseas.

It's a pity the same isn't applied to people living in the UK. They send your passport out by non-registered post in a passport-sized envelope that says "HM Passport Office" in massive letters. Remember when posties used to nick credit cards out of envelopes? Now the dishonest ones can easily nick passports and sell them on...

Interesting that you post this, since those of us who have received and kept the DHL packages from trendy all have observed that these have all been sneakily opened, god knows what done to our passports, then resealed for hand over.

It may be trendy that is doing this and this may be why it takes the best part of a week from when DHL deliver to BKK before we are notified that the passport is ready for collection.

All in all we have inconvenience, cost and stress because of this new procedure, apparently introduced because of potential identity theft, then to top it all off, it looks like our identities are actually being systematically stolen anyway and we are paying extra for this privilege.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

Interesting that you post this, since those of us who have received and kept the DHL packages from trendy all have observed that these have all been sneakily opened, god knows what done to our passports, then resealed for hand over.

It may be trendy that is doing this and this may be why it takes the best part of a week from when DHL deliver to BKK before we are notified that the passport is ready for collection.

All in all we have inconvenience, cost and stress because of this new procedure, apparently introduced because of potential identity theft, then to top it all off, it looks like our identities are actually being systematically stolen anyway and we are paying extra for this privilege.

One thing's for sure - they won't be opened without a good reason - if this is consistent then it suggests that something is being done to them in Thailand before they're issued to the passport holder.

This makes me wonder if they're activating / programming the RFID chips at the Embassy in Bangkok as a security procedure prior to releasing them just in case something happens to the passports en route.

It would explain why they've been opened and the delay between the arrival of the passport in Bangkok and when it's available for collection.

Edited by ukrules

Handed over docs and all checked OK on Monday 4th August (PM) in Trendy. Checked UK credit card and passport fee taken out Friday 8th August. Signs of improvement, normal?. Not too much UK press reporting on the backlog problems at the moment. Typical Brits, big fuss made, and then just get on with it!.

Handed over docs and all checked OK on Monday 4th August (PM) in Trendy. Checked UK credit card and passport fee taken out Friday 8th August. Signs of improvement, normal?. Not too much UK press reporting on the backlog problems at the moment. Typical Brits, big fuss made, and then just get on with it!.

3-4 working days from application to card debit is the norm reported on this thread.

At least you can now be sure that 1) you are in the system and 2) that your old passport is/soon will be now cancelled.

Welcome to the train wreck, let's all hope that things have improved from the benchmark of an average 10 weeks from application to collection at trendy.

Good luck.

Oh great, now this ridiculous system is in place in Laos now too. blink.png

This will be fantastic for me when I have to renew in 2 months time.

Without the ability to visit the eye hospital in Bangkok on a monthly basis because these idiots will cancel my passport, I may well go blind in one of my eyes.

Idiots!!

Without the ability to visit the eye hospital in Bangkok on a monthly basis because these idiots will cancel my passport, I may well go blind in one of my eyes.

Idiots!!

Well that's as valid a reason as any for requiring a second passport as I've ever heard. Get the second one now and renew your old one in a couple of months time.

More expense but you will have two passports.

Idiots!!

Well that's as valid a reason as any for requiring a second passport as I've ever heard. Get the second one now and renew your old one in a couple of months time.

How do I get a second passport?? I haven't had time to read all the posts on here. I am getting through them slowly.

Here is the response I received today from the British Embassy in Laos. I particularly like the last paragraph.

Thank you for your enquiries about the changes to the British passport services in Laos.
Changes to the process for issuing and renewing British passports are the responsibility of Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO) in the UK, not the British Embassy in Vientiane. However, we have aimed to answer the points you raise below:
HMPO advise that passport renewals are currently taking around 6 weeks from the point the application is received in the UK.
Guidance on the website states ‘You cannot travel with your existing passport after you have applied for a new one – but you are able to keep the existing document for identification purposes.’ – this is to satisfy local law. However the existing passport will not be cancelled until such time that the new passport is issued in the UK, therefore travel may be possible using the existing passport, however would be undertaken at the passport holder’s own risk given the date of cancellation, when under process in the UK, cannot be readily determined.
The use of an emergency travel document (ETD) or emergency passport is not restricted to travelling back to the UK. Further information is available here https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document. However, it should be noted that the Lao authorities will only accept exit on an ETD, not entry. This is a ruling of the local authorities and beyond our control.
The renewal of British passports is the responsibility of the HMPO. If you have any further enquiries may we suggest you contact the Passport Advice line on +44 300 222 0000 (operates from 08h00 – 20h00 UK time) or alternatively email: [email protected].
All British citizens have a responsibility to manage the renewal of their passport documentation, allowing an appropriate timeframe for the renewal process.
Kindest Regards
The British Embassy team
  • Like 1

To get a second passport you need to get a letter from your company explaining that you put your passport into embassies to get visas and it can take days if not weeks so a second passport is needed while you are in another country doing this

To get a second passport you need to get a letter from your company explaining that you put your passport into embassies to get visas and it can take days if not weeks so a second passport is needed while you are in another country doing this

I wonder if in this case a letter from his Doctor might be good enough. It's not limited to emloyees, anyone who needs one should be able to get one.

They used to hand them out to anyone who wanted one at one point if you travelled to Israel and certain countries like Saudi Arabia on a regular or even occasional basis.

From what I've heard you will get a second passport if you have a good reason to need one, any good reason should suffice.

I suggest getting in touch and asking them about this with regards to regular medical treatment.

• Like 1

Idiots!!

How do I get a second passport?? I haven't had time to read all the posts on here. I am getting through them slowly.

Here is the response I received today from the British Embassy in Laos. I particularly like the last paragraph.

Thank you for your enquiries about the changes to the British passport services in Laos.
Changes to the process for issuing and renewing British passports are the responsibility of Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO) in the UK, not the British Embassy in Vientiane. However, we have aimed to answer the points you raise below:
HMPO advise that passport renewals are currently taking around 6 weeks from the point the application is received in the UK.
Guidance on the website states ‘You cannot travel with your existing passport after you have applied for a new one – but you are able to keep the existing document for identification purposes.’ – this is to satisfy local law. However the existing passport will not be cancelled until such time that the new passport is issued in the UK, therefore travel may be possible using the existing passport, however would be undertaken at the passport holder’s own risk given the date of cancellation, when under process in the UK, cannot be readily determined.
The use of an emergency travel document (ETD) or emergency passport is not restricted to travelling back to the UK. Further information is available here https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document. However, it should be noted that the Lao authorities will only accept exit on an ETD, not entry. This is a ruling of the local authorities and beyond our control.
The renewal of British passports is the responsibility of the HMPO. If you have any further enquiries may we suggest you contact the Passport Advice line on +44 300 222 0000 (operates from 08h00 – 20h00 UK time) or alternatively email: [email protected].
All British citizens have a responsibility to manage the renewal of their passport documentation, allowing an appropriate timeframe for the renewal process.
Kindest Regards
The British Embassy team

A good response from the Embassy Team.

Not true about not traveling on the old passport though. After I submitted my application I got a 12m retirement extension in my existing passport and also visited Cambodia for a 4 day holiday.

I wonder if in this case a letter from his Doctor might be good enough. It's not limited to emloyees, anyone who needs one should be able to get one.

They used to hand them out to anyone who wanted one at one point if you travelled to Israel and certain countries like Saudi Arabia on a regular or even occasional basis.

From what I've heard you will get a second passport if you have a good reason to need one, any good reason should suffice.

I suggest getting in touch and asking them about this with regards to regular medical treatment.

Normally business travel to different regions like Saudi Arabia and Israel is one reason or travel to multiple regions each requiring visa issue is another.

The basis for a second passport is international business travel, I am not aware of any other pretexts.

There is absolutely no information at all on the HMPO Website regard second passport issue.

It's a good idea in principle. however, unfortunately the issue of a second passport is, I guess the same as applying for a first passport and is, thus advised as taking 2 weeks longer than that for standard passport renewal.

So the second passport may not help.

Normally business travel to different regions like Saudi Arabia and Israel is one reason or travel to multiple regions each requiring visa issue is another.

The basis for a second passport is international business travel, I am not aware of any other pretexts.

There is absolutely no information at all on the HMPO Website regard second passport issue.

It's a good idea in principle. however, unfortunately the issue of a second passport is, I guess the same as applying for a first passport and is, thus advised as taking 2 weeks longer than that for standard passport renewal.

If he gets a second passport right now it would help him very much as this current passport doesn't expire for another two months and it will arrive prior to this.

In fact he would only really need two passports for a short while - until the other one expires, there would be no need to renew the existing passport when it does expire.

They should allow anyone to do this if the unacceptable delay is going to be a continuous feature from now on. going without a passport in this day and age of regular travel is not acceptable.

Based on how this situation is currently being handled I suspect there will be a backlog for at least the next three or four months until they enter the 'quiet period' after the summer holidays rush for renewals has finished and been cleared. Some serious changes will need to be made to avoid the same thing happening again next year.

I expect the same thing to happen next year.

• Like 1

Idiots!!

Kindest Regards
The British Embassy team

Yes, Laos also has a stupid system in place, the Visa Application Centre is also run by VFS (who we know as trendy towers).

Slight difference in the application process - you still have to attend the Visa Application centre at the Embassy to apply (but this is run by a private company VFS Global not the FCO/Embassy), however unlike Thailand your new passport will be couriered to your home address.

The fact that your passport is sent to you directly may well cut up to a week off the turn around time compared to Thailand, but still may leave you facing a 9 week plus delay.

We have mixed reports of passport cancellation with some reporting passports being rejected at borders within days of application and then one member even reporting that the old passport was still 'working' at the border, even after a new passport had been issued.

No one can be sure as to how far reaching the passport cancellation goes, maybe it's only if border officials 'refer to their computers' that you get stopped, no one knows for sure.

Worryingly, the Embassy advised you that an ETD will only be honored for exit from Laos and not for re-entry, so that's that route closed down for you.

As we are talking about your eyesight here, I think that your only really safe option is to bite the bullet and fly back to the UK to apply.

Obviously it's a bitter pill to swallow, but I would do it. complain like hell and demand that HMPO refund the cost of your travel, as you could not risk your eyesight by betting against HMPO's current incompetence.

Make sure you get a doctor's letter stating clearly that failing to attend you appointments could blind you.

One other tack is to contact the British Embassy Consular Facility directly by phone and explain your situation, have the Doctor's Letter scanned and ready to email.

The British Embassies do now have a 'mechanism' to expedite urgent cases (similar to that MPs have), maybe they can work a miracle for you.

Good luck.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

I get my second one in a few weeks

It will take 5 working days from application of my second pp till it comes through my front door

Idiots!!

Kindest Regards
The British Embassy team

A good response from the Embassy Team.

Not true about not traveling on the old passport though. After I submitted my application I got a 12m retirement extension in my existing passport and also visited Cambodia for a 4 day holiday.

Remember your post about this adventure.

As regards getting extensions, 90 day reports, etc. at your local Thai Immigration Department, they do not appear to check any immigration data bases - they take your passport on its face value.

We have no reports yet on this thread of any problems getting extensions in cancelled, awaiting replacement British Passports.

Better one doesn't tell immigration that your passport has been cancelled by the British Government though!

It will take 5 working days from application of my second pp till it comes through my front door

Where?

Where?

Glasgow

Ahhh, there's the catch, this guy is in Laos, I presume that a second passport application by him would take somewhat longer.

Would be most interesting though to see any HMPO pdfs, etc. that you have on second passports, since I can't find anything at all on the web, such applications all seem to be through agencies.

• Like 1

Where?

Glasgow

Ahhh, there's the catch, this guy is in Laos, I presume that a second passport application by him would take somewhat longer.

Would be most interesting though to see any HMPO pdfs, etc. that you have on second passports, since I can't find anything at all on the web, such applications all seem to be through agencies.

I'm going back to the UK in two weeks. I have the letter from my work saying I need one. My contact at the passport office says the letter is fine and I'll have no problems getting a second pp. I fill in a form my mum has for me from the post office. Then I have an appointment in the Glasgow pp office to get it processed. You can NOT do the one day quick turn around with a second passport

Hello soihok,

So, 'any ideas, please'?

regards to all,

Euca.

Here is a link to the full HMPO Complaints procedure:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-passport-office/about/complaints-procedure

Note that the HMPO Helpline number is run by a private company called Teleperformance (not HMPO) and is generally a waste of both breath and money, since the majority of operators appear to be clueless knowing less about overseas passport issue procedures that either you or I.

First sensible stop is an email to [email protected], then write to Newport, then escalate as per the linked HMPO document.

Good hunting!

Thanks, Digi, That route would be obligatory, I think. I've been here over 15-yrs & am also disenfranchised although still taxed. I'll start work drafting a complaint. That should occupy me for a while.

Went to Pattaya yesterday so the niece and sister in law could renew their Thai passports. We got there about 10 am and they were called in just before 3.30. The system has some pros and cons.

No appointment system available. (Con)

Must be done in person. (Con)

No countersignature issues, they take the photo. (Pro)

They also take fingerprints. (Pro or Con?)

No same day service. (Con)

About a week to get passport by post. (Pro)

Cost is 1040 Baht (Pro)

Lasts for 5 years, or less in certain circumstances. (Con)

No time addition for early renewal. (Con)

Between the 2, my vote would be with the UK, purely on the 10 year validity.

Went to Pattaya yesterday so the niece and sister in law could renew their Thai passports. We got there about 10 am and they were called in just before 3.30. The system has some pros and cons.

Cost is 1040 Baht (Pro)

For my Wife and Children's Thai Passports, we can go to Phuket Town (20 mins), the queues are never long, the process takes about an hour - each passport costs just over a thousand THB and arrives a week later with a 5 year validity.

Compare this to a new UK Passport, with (for me) 2x 2,000 Km return journeys, plus travel costs/accommodation, etc., the passport itself costs 6, 250 THB and you then have to wait almost ten weeks to get it, but get a ten year validity.

Mmmmm, personally I would happily accept a five year validity, if I could apply/collect my new UK passport in Phuket Town, even for around three thousand THB, better than losing 4+ days of my life.

• Like 2

Cost is 1040 Baht (Pro)

For my Wife and Children's Thai Passports, we can go to Phuket Town (20 mins), the queues are never long, the process takes about an hour - each passport costs just over a thousand THB and arrives a week later with a 5 year validity.

Compare this to a new UK Passport, with (for me) 2x 2,000 Km return journeys, plus travel costs/accommodation, etc., the passport itself costs 6, 250 THB and you then have to wait almost ten weeks to get it, but get a ten year validity.

Mmmmm, personally I would happily accept a five year validity, if I could apply/collect my new UK passport in Phuket Town, even for around three thousand THB, better than losing 4+ days of my life.

It will be each to his own on this one. I certainly wouldn't want to be renewing every 4 and a bit years.

I am only an hour out of Bangkok so although my renewal was protracted there was no great financial loss. if I had done it in the UK, it would have meant a trip to Liverpool plus £125 for the passport, a good bit more than the 6k THB.

There is no doubt that those some distance from suffered the most, so it really is a personal perspective.

Cost is 1040 Baht (Pro)

It will be each to his own on this one. I certainly wouldn't want to be renewing every 4 and a bit years.

I am only an hour out of Bangkok so although my renewal was protracted there was no great financial loss. if I had done it in the UK, it would have meant a trip to Liverpool plus £125 for the passport, a good bit more than the 6k THB.

There is no doubt that those some distance from suffered the most, so it really is a personal perspective.

Agreed as with most systems there are winners and losers.

However, as regards the current 10 week turnaround times, every UK current applicant overseas is a loser, since being overseas and not having a valid travel document for such a long period cannot in any way be construed as a plus.